You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-06 19:28:39

matchil

Arch on Lenovo N100 (Planing)

Hi.
I've been planing to switch to Arch since Wombat, but now I think I have better occasion as I've recently bought new pice of hardware - Lenovo Laptop series 3000 (model N100).

Before puting Linux (Arch) on to it I would like to be sure (aware) of some issues. I have to say I'm not totaly new to Linux as I've been using Slackware for a long time now, but I've never used it with new PCs/Laptops and this is why I have some questions on installing/using Linux (Arch to be more precise) on this kind a new hardware.

That's I think enougth for a background ... Now my issues:

1. How does the on/off switch for the wireless card behave in Arch ? Is there a deamon which 'ifconfig down' the interface when I switch my card off and do opposite thing when I switch it on ?

2. Is it possible to choese -suspend2 kernel during the CD/FTP installation ? And if not is simply upgrading the kernel after installation safe (as a first thing to be done after base install)

That's it for now. Thanks for any response.
Peace.

#2 2006-11-06 22:48:22

filoktetes

Re: Arch on Lenovo N100 (Planing)

I've been running Arch on lots of newer laptops, and there have rarely been any problems. If any Linux can do it, Arch can too, of course.

1. It's difficult to know exactly how on/off switches for wireless cards works. It's different of every laptop. On my laptop Asus W5a, it doesn't do anything while the machine is running, but if it's off when I turn it on, it stays off and it stays on if it's on when I turn the machine on (long confusing sentence, but I think you get it). I havn't heard of any daemon that checks the switch, but there might be one.

2. There's support for suspen2 in the kernel26beyond package. I suggest you install the stock kernel26 kernel first with a base system. Then feel free to install the kernel26beyond at any time.

Good luck with your new Lenvo  smile

#3 2006-11-06 23:51:54

Damnshock

I have a toshiba laptop, and the wireless swith just makes the wlan interface doesn't work. The interface is still up, but it just doesn't work ( the same behavior as in windows)

For the -suspend2... i never achived to make it work, but I suspend my laptop with the /proc/acpi/sleep way ( is it deprecated?)

Cheers

My blog: blog.marcdeop.com
Jabber ID: damnshock@jabber.org

#4 2006-11-07 00:36:14

wideeye

I have a lenovo t60p with a wireless switch, and linux knows nothing about it. which is fine, it's all done in hardware. you might have issues with applications timing out, but no driver or kernel issues with it. It also disables bluetooth at the same time. same as pulling the cable on an ethernet interface.

2. its easy to add kernels later, if you're using the 7.2 iso you'll do that when you first sync/upgrade, which can be an issue cause it wont boot unless you change grub to the new initrd. but after that update you just need to add some lines it to grub / lilo config

#5 2006-11-07 07:20:41

matchil

Hm.
Is there any HowTo on changing the basic kernel in Arch ? I dont want to add a second kernel, I just wanna switch/upgrade the kernel26 with suspend2 or beyond (as filoktetes has suggested)

I did some research on the switch and in some laptops it behaves like the normal key that it could be treated with 'xbindkeys' or any other binding key software/script/deamon. But in others it needs some kind of driver like here: http://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~tauber/acerhk/

Thanks for response guys ! smile

Board footer