You are not logged in.

#1 2022-11-08 21:42:23

slashdoc

[Solved]I can't get Xorg to work on Dell Precision 5570, fresh install

Hello

I've searched the wiki, the forums and the Internet, but I can't get Xorg to work on Archlinux with SDDM and Plasma (KDE).

There is an wiki entry ( https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dell_Precision_5570 ) but it only gives a few tips that I have already tried.

The system has an intel GPU and also a Nvidia one.

Without any nvidia packages it get's to SDDM and then to the initial Plasma session, but it is very, very glitchy: most kde apps don't redraw their windows (unusable), the task bar keeps flashing and it is very ugly.

With nvidia drivers (nvidia, nvidia-dkms or nvidia-open) the system either freezes before booting to SDDM or it doesn't freeze but there is no Xorg. In the latter case I can start another text only tty with Ctr+Alt+F2.

What I've already tried:
- blacklisting nouveau;
- using ibt=off ;
- including all nvidia modules in initramd;
- blacklisting i915 and nouveau;
- trying nvidia optimus steps;
- trying to run with and without a xorg.conf file, from nvidia-config;
- using a live  PopOs image with proprietary drivers and trying to copy the kernel command line parameters;
- using a live  Manjaro image in proprietary drivers and open source drivers modes and trying to copy the kernel command line parameters;
- trying grep -ir "nvidia" inside /etc and trying to imitate all configuration from PopOS and Manjaro;

So, the system came with Ubuntu 22.04 in a working condition. PopOS with nvidia drivers and Manjaro work well. There is no hardware problem. I only don't have a clue on what to do to get it to work.

Are there instructions somewhere that I could try to follow?

I would prefer, if possible, to use the foss intel drivers on a daily basis and switch to nvidia GPU only when needed (to connect to an external monitor or to run something that doesn't work well with intel). If that`s not possible I could use either the FOSS drivers or the proprietary drivers.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log
Installed packages

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Last edited by slashdoc (2022-11-15 13:11:07)

#2 2022-11-08 23:37:11

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: [Solved]I can't get Xorg to work on Dell Precision 5570, fresh install

Does it work with startx? That's where to start before going to a DM.

#3 2022-11-09 05:36:11

W.F.Cody

I have the same issue with a dell precision 3560

% lspci | grep VGA
0000:00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation TigerLake-LP GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics] (rev 01)
% lspci | grep 3D
0000:01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU117GLM [Quadro T500 Mobile] (rev a1)

It is really weird. I can run Wayland perfectly but X11 fails to start.

My AUR packages
Any package of mine is up for grabs. If you think you could mantain it better - just contact me!

#4 2022-11-09 06:47:11

cfr

Both of your links point to an Xorg log. Is that with or without configuration files?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Intel_graphics (I was going to see if you had mesa etc. installed, but couldn't find the list you mentioned.)

You might be able to disable the nvidia card in firmware temporarily while you get the intel working?

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#5 2022-11-13 21:36:47

slashdoc

Scimmia wrote:

Does it work with startx? That's where to start before going to a DM.

I've also tried that and the same things happens. Actually, SDM seems to work, but the following session don't.

cfr wrote:

Both of your links point to an Xorg log. Is that with or without configuration files?
  (I was going to see if you had mesa etc. installed, but couldn't find the list you mentioned.)

Sorry about that, I was very tired.
I've tried with the nvidia-generated xorg.conf file and also without anything. In this mess, I don`t remember which version it was.

cfr wrote:

You might be able to disable the nvidia card in firmware temporarily while you get the intel working?

It seems that there is no such option. But I've also tried uninstalling nvidia packages and nouveau drivers.

What I did was to compare dmesg, journalctl and Xorg log files from Archlinux and from a live Manjaro boot (which is working). Then I've found some small issues in arch dmesg (install thermald to correct "dell_smm_hwmon: unable to get SMM Dell signature").

Then I've found sort of a workaround, which is to uninstall "xf86-video-nouveau" and "mesa" and install "mesa-amber", because there was this in Xorg.0.log:

(EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/i965_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/i965_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
[    25.295] (EE) AIGLX error: unable to load driver i965
[    25.387] (EE) intel(0): Failed to submit rendering commands (Invalid argument), disabling acceleration.

So, after that, the system boots and KDE looks nice, but prime-run display black windows, though. GLXgears works, but display this error:

libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to open iris: /usr/lib/dri/iris_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (search paths /usr/lib/dri, suffix _dri)
libGL error: failed to load driver: iris
libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to open iris: /usr/lib/dri/iris_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (search paths /usr/lib/dri, suffix _dri)
libGL error: failed to load driver: iris

I'm still stuck, but at least I'm beginning to feel that I have a working computer.

Any other tips for getting rid of the remaining errors and maybe having the nvidia drivers also working?

#6 2022-11-13 22:51:41

Scimmia
Fellow

That error is from xf86-video-intel, not nouveau. You should not be using the intel ddx on a system less than ~10 years old.

Get rid of that, and get rid of mesa-amber.

Last edited by Scimmia (2022-11-13 22:54:35)

#7 2022-11-13 23:15:48

cfr

And reinstall mesa.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#8 2022-11-15 13:09:33

slashdoc

Thanks Scimmia and cfr!

That did it! The problem, from the start, seems to be that I had the "xf86-video-intel" package installed. Removing that and reinstalling mesa (which prompts do remove mesa-amber) had the system in a working condition.
I've also have the following kernel parameters, which I copied from the Manjaro live image and adapted to the tips on the wiki:

ibt=off nouveau.modeset=0 i915.modeset=1

Perhaps it could be a good touch to add these tips to

Board footer