You are not logged in.

#1 2022-11-15 01:29:57

preconiseencaustic

[Solved] NVIDIA/Vulkan Related Graphics Problem - Vulkan Dota 2

My last working config was on 9/26 when I updated my system. 

After the working update on 9/26, I updated around 10-15, and the problem was present.  I proceeded to downgrade and hope that a fix would be found upstream sometime since I couldn't find the problem listed anywhere I looked, but that never seems to have happened.  I updated today out of necessity for another package, and I need to find a solution to my main problem. 

___

The problem occurs when I attempt to launch a Vulkan based game.  Dota 2 for example will work if I pass '-gl' as a launch option, but will not work without it (as it defaults to Vulkan now).  With Vulkan, Dota 2 will make it juuuuuust to the point where rendering starts, which is the main menu for me (I have -novid on - turning it off will just crash the visuals at the start of the intro).  Once it reaches the point where rendering starts, the image on my monitor will freeze up, and audio will still work for some time.  I have to alt tab and force kill the game.  Occasionally, alt tab doesn't work for 20+ seconds, so I'm not sure if it's compositor related or not. 

___

I'm using KDE/Plasma, and compositing is blocked when a game (such as Dota) starts.  X11 and Pulseaudio still as far as I'm aware, though some wayland and pipewire packages were installed automatically as dependencies for one thing or another over the past few months. 

I've got an NVIDIA 1080Ti.  Here's the output of vulkan and nvidia related packages:

$ pacman -Qs vulkan
local/lib32-nvidia-utils 520.56.06-1
    NVIDIA drivers utilities (32-bit)
local/lib32-vkd3d 1.5-1
    Direct3D 12 to Vulkan translation library By WineHQ
local/lib32-vulkan-icd-loader 1.3.226-1
    Vulkan Installable Client Driver (ICD) Loader (32-bit)
local/nvidia-utils 520.56.06-2
    NVIDIA drivers utilities
local/qt6-shadertools 6.4.0-1 (qt6)
    Provides functionality for the shader pipeline that allows Qt Quick to operate on Vulkan, Metal, and Direct3D, in addition to OpenGL
local/spirv-tools 2022.1-1 (vulkan-devel)
    API and commands for processing SPIR-V modules
local/vulkan-headers 1:1.3.227-1 (vulkan-devel)
    Vulkan header files
local/vulkan-icd-loader 1.3.226-1
    Vulkan Installable Client Driver (ICD) Loader
local/vulkan-tools 1.3.226-1 (vulkan-devel)
    Vulkan Utilities and Tools
$ pacman -Qs nvidia
local/cuda 11.8.0-1
    NVIDIA's GPU programming toolkit
local/egl-wayland 2:1.1.11-2
    EGLStream-based Wayland external platform
local/ffnvcodec-headers 11.1.5.2-1
    FFmpeg version of headers required to interface with Nvidias codec APIs
local/lib32-libvdpau 1.5-1
    Nvidia VDPAU library
local/lib32-nvidia-utils 520.56.06-1
    NVIDIA drivers utilities (32-bit)
local/libvdpau 1.5-1
    Nvidia VDPAU library
local/libxnvctrl 520.56.06-1
    NVIDIA NV-CONTROL X extension
local/nvidia 520.56.06-10
    NVIDIA drivers for linux
local/nvidia-settings 520.56.06-1
    Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
local/nvidia-utils 520.56.06-2
    NVIDIA drivers utilities
local/opencl-nvidia 520.56.06-2
    OpenCL implemention for NVIDIA

All packages should be fully up to date as of today. 

I'm using the standard Linux kernel for Arch, currently 6.0.8.arch1-1

___

I don't see any errors in Steam's console log when Dota starts to fail, and I'm not sure where else I should look for some logs. 

I'd love to provide some more information about this if someone could direct me where to look.  Thanks.

___

Edit: It appears that other applications are experiencing problems as well.  It's unclear if it's related.  SMPlayer's playlist has large black sections where information is supposed to be, and is clearly a graphics related error in nature.  Firefox is also refusing to respond after some time of being open, which varies significantly from one occurrence to the next.  Again, I'm not sure these are related, but I'd guess that SMPlayer's graphical errors may be.

It also appears as if Vulkan related changes were made around the time between my working and not working updates, too.

Edit 2: This is interesting.  CS:GO takes significant time to reach the main menu, and stuttered a bit after ~1.5 hours of gameplay.  Other than that, it's fine.  Since it's an OpenGl based game, this would be (mostly) expected behavior, right?  Well, I'm running GTA5 which uses DVXK rather extensively and it's working fine.  Guess it's Dota specific in one way or another, and not all of Vulkan like I was originally believing.

Edit 3: It's apparently a game specific error, tied to my hardware and drivers supporting a feature: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Dota-2 … issues/413

https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments … unable_to/

Adding -vulkan_disable_graphics_pipeline_library to the Steam launch options fixes it.

Last edited by preconiseencaustic (2022-11-15 23:57:04)

#2 2022-11-15 23:55:29

preconiseencaustic

Re: [Solved] NVIDIA/Vulkan Related Graphics Problem - Vulkan Dota 2

Solved, see edits

Board footer