You are not logged in.

#1 2022-11-17 19:09:03

dtm85

SSD partition size

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to Linux although I've dabbled with it years ago with mint.

I've decided to install Arch Linux on a Crucial 1 TB SSD that I'd like to also create separate partitions for additional storage in between my Windows11 OS.

Thing is I also heard Kali Linux is good but ultimately I'm not sure if I should stick with Arch or Kali, therefore I want to partition out the 1TB SSD into the below partitions so that I can gain more knowledge/experience with both distributions.

For additional context, I'll mostly be using it for software development.

Arch
50GB

Kali
50GB

- Should I install both distributions or is Arch enough?
- I've also read that I'll need a /root and a /home partition so would I need both (root and home) for Arch and Kali?
- If so, what would be a good size to partition the SSD?

Thanks in advance!

#2 2022-11-17 19:18:33

d.ALT

Re: SSD partition size

dtm85 wrote:

[...]

Thing is I also heard Kali Linux is good

[...]

[...]

No it's not (speaking of actual installations and production environment). Don't let the Internet fools you.

<49,17,III,I>    Fama di loro il mondo esser non lassa;
<50,17,III,I>    misericordia e giustizia li sdegna:
<51,17,III,I>    non ragioniam di lor, ma guarda e passa.

#3 2022-11-17 19:58:05

cfr

Re: SSD partition size

dtm85 wrote:

Enough for what? Only you can answer these questions. Arch is sufficient for me, but that says diddly squat about your case.

- I've also read that I'll need a /root and a /home partition so would I need both (root and home) for Arch and Kali?

You don't need both if you don't want both.

- If so, what would be a good size to partition the SSD?

Nobody but you can possibly answer this question.

If you are booting in EFI mode, you need an EFI partition., ideally large enough to satisfy the demands of fat32. (Many people get away with smaller, but that will break with some firmware.)

Beyond that, there is no general answer. Personally, I'd use LVM so you don't have to know how to partition it either, but if you don't want to do that, you have to decide.

Last edited by cfr (2022-11-17 19:58:28)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

Board footer