You are not logged in.

#1 2022-11-17 21:29:18

tuchka

USB doesn't wake up after suspend

Hi, when I've suspending my laptop(asus vivobook s14x s5402) and then resuming, two of my USB3 ports strangely stops working permanently. I tried different kernel & kernel params, nothing helps me to fix the issue. Also I tried wake USB ports through /sys/bus/devices/..., loading/unloading corresponding kernel modules like xhci_pci, ucsi_acpi. The interesting thing is that USB port is not working even after reboot, only after shutdown, it makes me think that maybe problem in the laptop bios.

This my dmesg, after wake up - https://pastebin.com/qSCd7VHd
I think lines that can cause the problem are

[  488.907010] xhci_hcd 0000:00:0d.0: xHC error in resume, USBSTS 0x401, Reinit
[  488.907013] usb usb1: root hub lost power or was reset
[  488.907014] usb usb2: root hub lost power or was reset
[  489.191904] usb 3-2: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd
[  489.921324] ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: PM: dpm_run_callback(): acpi_subsys_resume+0x0/0x80 returns -110
[  489.921362] ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: PM: failed to resume: error -110 

My kernel parameters

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="loglevel=3 quite i915.enable_guc=3 mem_sleep_default=deep nowatchdog" 

Hardware info

[roman@tuchka ~]$ sudo !!
sudo hwdetect --show-modules
AGP      : intel-gtt 
ACPI     : acpi_pad acpi_tad platform_profile video 
BLOCK    : uvcvideo xhci-pci xhci-pci-renesas roles uas usb-storage typec typec_ucsi ucsi_acpi nvme-common nvme-core nvme 
BLUETOOTH: btbcm btintel btmtk btrtl btusb bluetooth 
CPUFREQ  : acpi-cpufreq pcc-cpufreq 
CRYPTO   : aesni-intel crc32c-intel crc32-pclmul crct10dif-pclmul ghash-clmulni-intel polyval-clmulni sha512-ssse3 cryptd crypto_simd ecdh_generic gf128mul polyval-generic 
DMA      : idma64 
DRM      : drm_display_helper drm_buddy i915 ttm 
EDAC     : igen6_edac 
EVENTS   : intel-cstate intel-uncore rapl 
HWMON    : coretemp 
I2C      : i2c-i801 i2c-smbus 
INPUT    : joydev atkbd mousedev i8042 libps2 serio serio_raw sparse-keymap vivaldi-fmap hid-logitech-dj hid-logitech-hidpp hid-multitouch i2c-hid-acpi i2c-hid usbhid mac_hid 
KVM      : kvm-intel kvm 
MEDIA    : cec videobuf2-common videobuf2-memops videobuf2-v4l2 videobuf2-vmalloc mc uvcvideo videodev 
MEI      : mei_hdcp mei mei_pxp 
MFD      : intel-lpss intel-lpss-pci intel_pmc_bxt 
MTD      : mtd spi-nor 
NET      : fjes iwlwifi bluetooth rfkill cfg80211 
NVME     : nvme-common nvme-core nvme 
PLATFORM : asus-nb-wmi asus-wmi intel_vsec toshiba-wmi wmi-bmof wmi 
POWERCAP : intel_rapl_common intel_rapl_msr 
SOUND    : pcspkr ac97_bus snd-compress snd-hwdep snd snd-pcm-dmaengine snd-pcm snd-timer snd-hda-ext-core snd-hda-core snd-intel-dspcfg snd-intel-sdw-acpi snd-hda-codec snd-hda-intel snd-soc-dmic snd-soc-hdac-hda snd-soc-hdac-hdmi snd-soc-intel-hda-dsp-common snd-soc-skl_hda_dsp snd-soc-acpi-intel-match snd-soc-acpi snd-soc-core snd-sof-intel-hda-common snd-sof-intel-hda snd-sof-pci-intel-tgl snd-sof snd-sof-pci snd-sof-utils snd-sof-xtensa-dsp soundcore 
THERMAL  : acpi_thermal_rel int3400_thermal int3403_thermal int340x_thermal_zone processor_thermal_device processor_thermal_device_pci processor_thermal_mbox processor_thermal_rapl processor_thermal_rfim intel_powerclamp intel_tcc_cooling x86_pkg_temp_thermal 
TPM      : tpm_crb tpm tpm_tis_core tpm_tis 
VIRT     : irqbypass 
WATCHDOG : iTCO_vendor_support iTCO_wdt 

#2 2022-11-18 16:45:00

twelveeighty

Re: USB doesn't wake up after suspend

Is that your actual kernel parameters line? Because it says 'quite' not 'quiet'. I doubt that would be causing this issue, but still.

Are you dual-booting this laptop with Windows? If so, check to see if turning off fast-boot makes a difference.

#3 2022-11-18 18:55:46

tuchka

twelveeighty wrote:

Is that your actual kernel parameters line? Because it says 'quite' not 'quiet'. I doubt that would be causing this issue, but still.

Are you dual-booting this laptop with Windows? If so, check to see if turning off fast-boot makes a difference.

Yep it's actual kernel parameters, so thanks for pointing out about 'quiet', but you right it's not the cause. No I don't have dual boot with windows, but I've been trying to turn on/off fast-boot in bios, and it's not help. Anyway I investigate further, and found out that is s2idle mode sometimes works, but more often I got black screen, and nothing I have in the logs, just

[   16.618505] PM: suspend entry (s2idle)

. I'm ready to accept s2idle mode, and what I've achieved it works stably in lts kernel, but lts kernel doesn't have the patch about my laptop keyboard - https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=216158.

Last edited by tuchka (2022-11-18 19:49:33)

#4 2022-11-19 02:52:09

tuchka

Update. What I've found out that ucsi_acpi kernel module cause the black screen in s2idle mode, maybe it's also the cause why usb doesn't wake up in deep mode. I've blacklisted this module for now

#5 2022-11-27 01:40:01

halogene

I have the same machine and can confirm first of all that keyboard doesn't work for me neither with LTS kernel nor with the most current kernel (6.0.9 as of today). With LTS, the machine wakes up correctly from standby. With 6.0.9, waking up from suspend doesn't work AT ALL. I haven't tried ssh'ing to it, but I only get a black screen and no keys work, I cannot switch blindly to another tty in order to login and reboot, nothing. Blacklisting ucsi_acpi module fixes that issue. I have had no problems with USB so far.

I suppose you have applied the patch that should be coming with kernel 6.1 in order to make the keyboard work?

Last edited by halogene (2022-11-27 01:41:32)

#6 2022-12-01 11:48:11

tuchka

halogene wrote:

I have the same machine and can confirm first of all that keyboard doesn't work for me neither with LTS kernel nor with the most current kernel (6.0.9 as of today). With LTS, the machine wakes up correctly from standby. With 6.0.9, waking up from suspend doesn't work AT ALL. I haven't tried ssh'ing to it, but I only get a black screen and no keys work, I cannot switch blindly to another tty in order to login and reboot, nothing. Blacklisting ucsi_acpi module fixes that issue. I have had no problems with USB so far.

I suppose you have applied the patch that should be coming with kernel 6.1 in order to make the keyboard work?

No I didn't apply the patch, I'm just using the linux-mainline kernel from AUR (rc6) and there's no problem with keyboard so far

#7 2022-12-12 22:19:40

NeverTooLate

Same issue with tuxedo s15 gen6 here. I blacklisted the module.

Board footer