Questions about BTRFS snapshots

Hey everyone
I am using btrfs,and I created subvolumes:

@ mount point /
@home mount point /home
@pkg mount point /var/cache/pacman/pkg
@log mount point /var/log
@.snapshots mount point /.snapshots

(Actually,subvols created by Archinstall script)
So here is the question:
Which subvol I have to shot snapshots?Some of my OICQ groupmates told me that I need to shot snapshots only for /,and I am confusing,if I do that,what is the meaning of creating other subvols?Plz give me some advice...
I am a newbee to linux,so to English.....

Last edited by nurali (2022-11-19 02:52:05)

#2 2022-11-19 09:18:47

Grigorios

Re: Questions about BTRFS snapshots

Hello!

BtrfsWiki wrote:

Nested subvolumes are not going to be part of snapshots created from their parent subvolume. So one typical reason is to exclude certain parts of the filesystem from being snapshot.

from here

Have a nice day!

#3 2022-11-19 09:27:22

nurali

Thanks for answering
So, the only purpose of those subvolumes is stay them (mount points of those subvolumes) out of the snapshot when I shot a snapshot for subvolume @ ?
Have a nice day too.

Grigorios wrote:

Hello!

BtrfsWiki wrote:

Nested subvolumes are not going to be part of snapshots created from their parent subvolume. So one typical reason is to exclude certain parts of the filesystem from being snapshot.

Have a nice day!

#4 2022-11-19 14:03:05

Grigorios

I wouldn't say it is their only usage, since as I am aware correctly, the team behind btrfs is also working on quota support. But yeah, a main point for subvolumes are snapshots smile

nurali wrote:

Thanks for answering
So, the only purpose of those subvolumes is stay them (mount points of those subvolumes) out of the snapshot when I shot a snapshot for subvolume @ ?
Have a nice day too.

Grigorios wrote:

Hello!

BtrfsWiki wrote:

Have a nice day!

#5 2022-11-19 14:18:05

nurali

Grigorios wrote:

I wouldn't say it is their only usage, since as I am aware correctly, the team behind btrfs is also working on quota support. But yeah, a main point for subvolumes are snapshots smile

Understood that,thanks man.

Board footer