You are not logged in.

#1 2022-11-22 16:19:20

keineeile

Wayland: Latest plasma update causes Firefox/Thunderbird to freeze

Hi all,

Since the recent update to Plasma 5.26.3 (and an overall fully up-to-date system), I'm having issues with Firefox and Thunderbird on Wayland: I can start the application just fine, but any popup or context menu takes somewhere around 1 minute to appear and in the meantime the ui is unresponsive/frozen. I did not experience any of this before the latest update. I'm not using any testing repositories, only the 'normal' ones.

I was able to replicate it with a fresh home directory (i.e., not old configs potentially messing things up) and with a fresh firefox profile, it kept happening. Interestingly, the popdown main menu in firefox works just fine, but opening the folders in the bookmark tab or any right-click causes the freeze.

Here's the output from both firefox and thunderbird, but nothing jumps out to me:

Firefox:

ATTENTION: default value of option mesa_glthread overridden by environment.
(no further output while ui is frozen or afterwards)

Thunderbird:

[ImapModuleLoader] Using nsImapService.cpp
[NntpModuleLoader] Using NntpService.jsm
[Pop3ModuleLoader] Using Pop3Service.jsm
[calBackendLoader] Using Thunderbird's ical.js backend
console.debug: "Successfully loaded OpenPGP library librnp.so version 0.16+git20220124.f06439f7.MZLA from /usr/lib/thunderbird/librnp.so"
console.debug: "Found 0 public keys and 0 secret keys (0 protected, 0 unprotected)"
console.warn: services.settings: Failed to load last_modified.json: TypeError: NetworkError when attempting to fetch resource.
FROZEN WITH NO OUTPUT
console.error: carddav.sync: "Sync with server failed."
console.error: carddav.sync: "Sync with server failed."
JavaScript error: resource:///modules/CardDAVUtils.jsm, line 203: NS_ERROR_OFFLINE: Connection failure
JavaScript error: resource:///modules/CardDAVUtils.jsm, line 203: NS_ERROR_OFFLINE: Connection failure
console.debug: "Trying to load /usr/lib/thunderbird/libotr.so"
console.debug: "Trying to load libotr.so from system's standard library locations"
console.debug: "Successfully loaded OTR library libotr.so from system's standard library locations"

Has anybody else seen this issue? Any idea of how to further debug this?

Thanks,
keineeile

Edit: I was a little quick to blame GTK as a whole, it seems to be connected in particular to Firefox and Thunderbird. The few others GTK applications I have installed (filezilla, gimp) work just fine.

Edit 2: I failed to mention that once the UI recovered from its frozen state, everything works just fine without further issues.

Last edited by keineeile (2022-11-22 16:28:08)

#2 2022-11-22 16:48:14

keineeile

Re: Wayland: Latest plasma update causes Firefox/Thunderbird to freeze

Ok, I didn't do anything else to further troubleshoot, except I rebooted my laptop again (did that a few times before with no help), and now for whatever reason everything seems to work just fine again roll

Now lets hope it was just some fluke and it wont happen again...

Board footer