You are not logged in.

#1 2022-11-20 22:32:21

Mezzy12

[SOLVED]Issue with key repeats following system update

Hey all, recently did a system update to find that X key repeats have started misbehaving. The key repeats in console windows were erratic and much faster than before. In fullscreen applications like games, holding down a key would constantly retrigger it, like I was typing into a text document or terminal. Obviously this is undesirable and makes games basically unplayable. the xset r command does nothing and setting the repeat rate in xorg.conf as described in https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Xorg/K … ion_option only makes the key repeat rate consistent as it was before the system upgrade, but does not fix the issue that I am having in games. I've tried regenerating the xorg config file with nvidia-xsettings, I've added and taken away options under the keyboard section of said config to no avail. I'm using a coolermaster usb keyboard I've had no issues with up until now. I'm on the latest version of libinput and the Arch Linux kernel if that's of any help. Not really sure where exactly to start troubleshooting this problem, if you need more information I'd be happy to provide it.

Thanks!

Last edited by Mezzy12 (2022-11-22 20:04:44)

#2 2022-11-21 01:17:04

cfr

Re: [SOLVED]Issue with key repeats following system update

Are you using a DE? If so, which?

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#3 2022-11-21 15:07:02

Mezzy12

I'm using i3 and I have no applications managing the keyboard. So it's all up to xorg.conf to deal with that.

#4 2022-11-21 23:57:52

cfr

Post your xorg log and any xorg config files.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#5 2022-11-22 08:39:18

seth

In fullscreen applications like games, holding down a key would constantly retrigger it, like I was typing into a text document or terminal.

What is epxectable - autorepeat isn't somehow content-aware.
Typically the game would grab the keyboard, so you might want to elaborate on the specific problem (lmg: steam?)

the xset r command does nothing

To turn auto-repeat off or on:
	-r [keycode]        r off
	  r [keycode]        r on
	  r rate [delay [rate]]

Does "xset -r off"/"xset -r on" have any impact? If not this might be a HW issue, ie. not autorepeat, but the keyboard bouncing.
You can also check "evtest" or "libinput debug-events" to see whether there're unexpected events (which would indicate a HW issue)

#6 2022-11-22 20:03:51

Mezzy12

OMG it was my fault... I have a feature on my keyboard that changes how many keys it outputs with each repeat. This was sending regardless of what the system was expecting and the delay in repeats I set on xorg.conf was just long enough that it stopped interfering with my keyboards own delay. I figured something might be up when "libinput debug-events" was reporting that the key was turning on and off repeatedly, which doesn't normally happen with typematic delay. So yeah, user error. Thanks for the help though!

Board footer