You are not logged in.

#1 2022-11-24 16:21:58

TheOldFellow
Website

Upgrade after several years

I inherited a laptop that has ArchLinux on it, but I don't think it has been 'pacman -Syyuu' for a very long time.
I get into a loop running pacman, where it states that, for instance David Runge 's PGP key needs to be installed, and agree, then it asks to import the correct PGP key (I checked it IS correct), then that fails: 'could not be looked up remotely'.
I am guessing some file has incremental changes missing.  As my own installation is several years old I have forgotten where this stuff is, and where to look it up.
Can someone point me to the solution?

#2 2022-11-24 16:25:47

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: Upgrade after several years

Several years? Honestly, just reinstall. It isn't even your installation, so it's not like there's anything important to save.

You can try updating archlinux-keyring first, but it's hard to say what all else will fail.

Last edited by Scimmia (2022-11-24 16:27:51)

#3 2022-11-24 16:30:45

ewaller
Administrator

I concur.  Several years might not even be possible any more.  If you want to get back to where the system is, grab the output of pacman -Qe and pacman -Qm for a list of things that need to be explicitly reinstalled. (The -Qm are your foreign stuff that needs come the AUR)

Last edited by ewaller (2022-11-24 16:31:17)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2022-11-24 17:22:20

TheOldFellow
Website

Scimmia wrote:

Several years? Honestly, just reinstall. It isn't even your installation, so it's not like there's anything important to save.

You can try updating archlinux-keyring first, but it's hard to say what all else will fail.

Updating the keyring fixed it.  I may, however, take your advice, which will allow me to clean (shred)  the whole disk first, and re-partition as I prefer.

#5 2022-11-24 17:38:30

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

TheOldFellow wrote:

I don't think it has been 'pacman -Syyuu' for a very long time.

That's also not a command that should ever really be run.  The proper way to update a (normal) arch system is `pacman -Syu`.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer