You are not logged in.

#1 2022-11-25 16:06:04

schurkenkarl

[SOLVED] Black screen after suspending Lenovo T16

Dear Forum,

this is my first post here. I set up a Thinkpad T16 with Arch (LTS Kernel v5.15) with dwm but I have troubles resuming after closing the laptop lid.

I am running

• on a btrfs filesystem with 4 GB of zram as swap, set up using zramd.service

• kernel option

mem_sleep_default=deep

enabled

•  lspci -v | grep -A1 -e VGA 

tells me my system uses: VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-UP3 GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics] (rev 0c) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller]) Subsystem: Lenovo Device 22e8

This problem was already present before I enabled the kernel parameter.
Oddly enough, moving the mouse made the screen light up whilst the mouse was moving, however keyboard input and mouse clicks wouldnt work.
I am inexperienced with xorg setup and puzzled, where the error comes from.
I hope for your help and apologize for missing information in advance!

Last edited by schurkenkarl (2022-11-26 13:27:56)

#2 2022-11-25 16:17:59

seth

Re: [SOLVED] Black screen after suspending Lenovo T16

Oddly enough, moving the mouse made the screen light up whilst the mouse was moving, however keyboard input and mouse clicks wouldnt work.

Can you switch to a different VT (ctrl+alt+F1,F2,F3,…) or kill the X11 server (ctrl+alt+backspace, but the shortcut must be explicitly enabled, https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Xorg/K … +Backspace )

#3 2022-11-25 16:30:00

cfr

Welcome to the forums! Are you sure deep is supported on your machine? What is in /sys/power/mem_sleep?

Does the screen just light up or do you actually see the desktop or login screen or whatever? Does the problem occur with the current kernel?

Last edited by cfr (2022-11-25 16:30:46)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#4 2022-11-26 12:12:07

schurkenkarl

seth wrote:

Can you switch to a different VT (ctrl+alt+F1,F2,F3,…) or kill the X11 server (ctrl+alt+backspace, but the shortcut must be explicitly enabled, https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Xorg/K … +Backspace )

Let me explain the situation as clear as I can:
I do not have any issues until I close the lid of my device, even if my screen turns black to enable the screensaver.
Upon closing and opening, my power LED blinks slowly, indicating, that the machine resides in sleep.
Upon keystrokes and wild mouse gestures the LED lights up permanently indicating wake, yet the screen stays black.
It lights up and flickers, only when and during me moving my mouse via trackpad.
Switching to another VT does not work in this state! (checked again after rebooting, works just as expected before closing the lid)
I also found, that NO keyboard input whatsoever is detected in this state.

#5 2022-11-26 12:20:22

schurkenkarl

cfr wrote:

Welcome to the forums! Are you sure deep is supported on your machine? What is in /sys/power/mem_sleep?

Does the screen just light up or do you actually see the desktop or login screen or whatever? Does the problem occur with the current kernel?

I get the following:

cat /sys/power/mem_sleep
s2idle [deep]

As mentioned before, this already happened before I changed the kernel parameter.

When the screen lights up in a flickering fashion during my mouse movements I see the screen which I had prior to closing the lid.
I dont have the current linux kernel installed, do you think new drivers etc. might alleviate the issue?
I have xorg-server installed and minimal dependencies in order to make dwm just work. However since the keyboard input is not picked up, I have the suspicion that it might not be only a problem with X.
What do you guys think?

#6 2022-11-26 13:26:58

schurkenkarl

Upon doing more research I found this was discussed on the Arch forum already.
It is an ongoing issue brought up on Lenovos Forums.

Thanks for everyones answers!

Board footer