You are not logged in.

#1 2022-11-23 07:57:29

xeno42

System has been problematic since upgrade

Hello!

I ran the update 2 days ago, it was updated as it should be. Then came the bugs:
I use notepadqq for editing by running "sudo notepadqq --alow-root" to edit all of them (I know it's not recommended), but now this command doesn't run anymore I get the following error and I can't find a solution: "QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'"
What could be the reason for this?
The /tmp/runtime-root folder is empty anyway.

Also, I noticed some minor hangs when I jump between lines in the text editor, down/down freezes many times for moments, and also in the terminal when I move in commands, right/left/up/down also freezes, stops for moments. What could cause this?

Thank you very much in advance

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

#2 2022-11-23 08:44:54

seth

Re: System has been problematic since upgrade

I use notepadqq for editing by running "sudo notepadqq --alow-root" to

break stuff and compromise your system.
Don't do that, see "man sudoedit" instead.

Also please edit you post and select a more meaningful subject.

#3 2022-11-24 18:12:18

walkingstickfan

seth wrote:

Interesting...I didn't know about sudoedit. When gksu was removed from Debian a few years ago, a bit of Internet searching turned up a tip in an Ubuntu forum that recommended using sudo -i as a replacement, which I've been using since without an issue.

Arch Linux with Openbox & Tint2

#4 2022-11-24 20:37:50

seth

"sudo -i" runs a login shell, it doesn't preserve the users environment either.

In any event:
Please don't run bloated (UI) code as root.
That's not because it will break the connection to the session bus, but because it's a security risk and you're prone to spam your $HOME w/ root owned files.
There's a reason why it has been made harder to do so and the OP needs to pass essentially a developer flag to notepadqq in order to do so.

#5 2022-11-25 17:03:16

xerxes_

And what about meld? I like to run it when comparing config files against pacnew versions.

#6 2022-11-25 19:59:41

seth

You mean a gazillion lines of python code on top of a fat GUI library?
It's a literal example for sudoedit: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/sudo#Editing_files and should be used this way (you're using sudoeedit to edit the file w/ a meld instance that runs as your regular user)

#7 2022-11-30 04:22:08

walkingstickfan

walkingstickfan wrote:
seth wrote:

Interesting...I didn't know about sudoedit. When gksu was removed from Debian a few years ago, a bit of Internet searching turned up a tip in an Ubuntu forum that recommended using sudo -i as a replacement, which I've been using since without an issue.

Thank you for the warning. However, I've never experienced an issue with the aforementioned command and I only use it sparingly...Bleachbit, Emacs, and Terminator. I will try sudoedit and see how that works.

Arch Linux with Openbox & Tint2

#8 2022-11-30 08:09:47

seth

I only use it sparingly...Bleachbit, Emacs, and Terminator

So a thing that's almost like designed to break your system, something that historically gets mocked as great OS w/o a good text editor and a terminal emulator (ie. generic root-shell)

My best advise is to not use bleachbit (at least not for automatic deletion - feel free to search the forum on why), certainly make EMACS a TRAMP ( https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Emacs#TRAMP ) and if you seriously (on rare occasion, if you do that every day, you're doing it wrong) need a root shell, run "sudo -i" *inside* a terminal emulator (terminator or else), *not* to run *the* terminal emulator.

And that, kids, was basic security 101 for today.

Board footer