You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-08 05:29:30

ylikone
Website

Lots of quirky problems after last update

I just wanted to post here saying that when I updated my system on the weekend I couldn't boot anymore.  Found out I had to go in with a KNOPPIX boot CD and edit /boot/grub/menu.1st... changed "initrd (hd0,0)/initrd26.img" to "initrd (hd0,0)/kernel26.img".  Then it booted.  Next, the mouse didn't work.  Found out I had to add "psmouse" to my modules list in /etc/rc.conf.  Mouse now working.  Finally, my USB didn't load anymore.  Found out I had to add "sd-mod" to my modules list in /etc/rc.conf.  USB now works.

Anyway, everything else seems to still be working so far. 

When doing a system update, I find it is very useful to have a secondary computer with internet access with which to come search the forums for solutions to problems.  That and a Knoppix CD.

#2 2006-11-08 06:08:50

McQueen

Re: Lots of quirky problems after last update

I didn't have your mouse experience, but I will just add that when I did that particular kernel update the kernel26.install file for the package mentioned in the terminal output exactly what to do with the menu.lst so that the system would remain bootable. I just checked and the same install file is still present which means that you should have been able to read the same instructions that I did.

/path/to/Truth

#3 2006-11-08 16:06:22

brain0
Developer

ylikone wrote:

I just wanted to post here saying that when I updated my system on the weekend I couldn't boot anymore.  Found out I had to go in with a KNOPPIX boot CD and edit /boot/grub/menu.1st... changed "initrd (hd0,0)/initrd26.img" to "initrd (hd0,0)/kernel26.img".  Then it booted.

Sorry for that. We did that name change to unify the names of the initramfs images for all kernels. Btw, ever since 2.6.17 was there, you were warned that this change would come and that you should already change it if possible. That was about 2 or 3 months of warnings.

Next, the mouse didn't work.  Found out I had to add "psmouse" to my modules list in /etc/rc.conf.  Mouse now working.

psmouse is now a module instead of being built into the kernel. It should be autodetected, but it seems this isn't always the case (psmouse autodetection works on one of my machines).

Finally, my USB didn't load anymore.  Found out I had to add "sd-mod" to my modules list in /etc/rc.conf.  USB now works.

That is weird, sd-mod should be autoloaded if you connect a usb storage device.

#4 2006-11-09 11:04:39

Cotton

ylikone wrote:

I just wanted to post here saying that when I updated my system on the weekend I couldn't boot anymore.

Suggest you install an alternative kernel (eg kernel26ck) in addition to your main one - it may bail you out if you have problems in the future.

(You may need to set "IgnorePkg = kernel26ck" in /etc/pacman.conf to prevent it being upgraded inline with the main kernel, although in practice ck tends to become available a few days later).

Board footer