You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-09 10:07:14

acidflux

help, firefox 2 can't start!

Hello to all archers.

Here are what I have done.
- I did a base install of Arch Linux 0.7.2 (gimmick)
- then install xorg and gtk2 using the CD as the repo
- pacman -Sy aterm
- pacman -Sy openbox
- pacman -Syu
- pacman -Sy firefox

So, pacman installed firefox 2 for me. No problem. When I tried to run it from terminal, it doesn't complain something is missing but firefox refuses to start!

Then I tried to download the statically built firefox from mozilla website. Tried to run it but it complains about can not finding libstdc++.so.5
Oh well, then I did ln -s libstdc++.so.6 libstdc++.so.5
Firefox can find that libstdc++ but it brings even more problems.

Am I missing any dependency? Thanks for your help!

Acidflux

#2 2006-11-09 12:51:49

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: help, firefox 2 can't start!

No solution to your 'firefox won't start' problem I'm afraid, since ff2 has worked quite well for me, but:

acidflux wrote:

Then I tried to download the statically built firefox from mozilla website. Tried to run it but it complains about can not finding libstdc++.so.5

This will get you the library:
pacman -S libstdc++5

Oh well, then I did ln -s libstdc++.so.6 libstdc++.so.5

This is almost always a bad idea.

#3 2006-11-09 13:44:11

acidflux

Thx for the reply Celebral.

I also have no idea why the firefox from repo can't start here as it doesn't give me any error message. Anyway, thx for the tips. After installing libstdc++5 the mozilla packaged firefox works.So I guess, I'll stick with it for a while.

But still, I wonder what's wrong with the ff from repo... :?

Once again, thanks!

#4 2006-11-09 18:13:14

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

For  the firefox problem, maybe your PATH need to be updated. Try login out and log back in.

#5 2008-03-04 23:39:57

Knitter
Website

As this was the most recent topic I found on the subject I think I thought of asking here.

I have a similar problem, I installed a fresh copy of Arch, 2007.08 Don't Panic. I installed firefox without problems but can't start the browser correctly.
Either using the menu option or typing "firefox" at the console terminal will start firefox but no graphical interface will appear. No errors are shown at the console, and trying to run firefox twice will show a dialog telling me that firefox is arealdy running but it's not responding and should be closed before starting another instance.
If I look at the running processes there is always one for  "/usr/bin/firefox" and one for "/usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.12/run-mozilla.sh /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.12/firefox-bin". If I kill the processes I can start firefox again but the behaviour continues, no graphical interface and no errors.

I have restarted the laptop, unistalled and installed firefox a few times and removed the ~/.mozilla folder, nothing seams to work.

What needs to be set in PATH? Are there any other options I could try to get firefox from the repos running? I could try to install the one from mozilla's page but I would like to stay with the one in the repos if I could.

Thanks.

#6 2008-03-05 13:01:04

Knitter
Website

I believe it is working!

First time I tried using the safe mode but it didn't work, firefox just crashed, this time I manage to see the safe mode initial screen and selected every checkbox so that everything was the default. After about 2 minutes, firefox showed and is now working.

Thanks for the help.

Board footer