You are not logged in.

#1 2022-11-28 21:01:20

mrowkiuq

trying to fix a program, broke my pc on startup (oops!)

writing this from windows on my other drive,

while installing dependencies, i came across this message:

error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing gcc (12.2.0-1) breaks dependency 'gcc=12.1.0-2' required by gcc-objc

so like the smartass i am, i decided to REMOVE gcc-objc. after that i installed gcc normally, then gcc-objc back.
after that, my second monitor started acting up (usual behavior) so i logged out and back in (like i usually do and that fixes the problem for a while), but this time i got a black screen. restarting my computer yielded grub booting fine, but when booting into the OS it reads:

[Failed] Starting Virtualization Daemon
[Failed] Starting Simple Desktop Display Manager

and it hangs, i cannot type anything after that.

i am aware i am a clown. i am not aware how to fix this issue. any help is appreciated!

#2 2022-11-28 21:33:08

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: trying to fix a program, broke my pc on startup (oops!)

mrowkiuq wrote:

i am aware i am a clown.

Are you?  I mean do you know what actually went wrong?  I suspect the only way you could get the errors you described is if you were doing partial upgrades.  And while I highly doubt the gcc-objc package could result in the failure to boot properly, it is quite likely that they are both independent symptoms of the same root cause ... which I suspect is partial upgrades.  If this is wrong, you should look for other root causes as the gcc-objc issue is almost certainly not the actual problem.

If this is due to partial upgrades, the solution is to boot a live usb, mount your partitions, then A) chroot and run a proper upgrade with pacman, or B) use pacman from the live system with the appropriate root/sysroot flag to update the installed system.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2022-11-29 08:57:35

mrowkiuq

Re: trying to fix a program, broke my pc on startup (oops!)

Did what you mentioned, (booted live usb, mounted and chrooted into my root partition, did pacman -Syu)
Now, on reboot it says exactly

Starting version 251.2-1-arch
/dev/nvme0n1p2: clean, 750848/3850896 files, 11368348/15430144 blocks
[FAILED] Failed to start CLI Netfilter Manager.
[FAILED] Failed to mount /boot.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Local File Systems.
You are in emergency mode. After logging in, type "journalctl -xb" to view system logs, "systemctl reboot" to reboot, "systemctl default" or "exit" to boot into default mode.
Give root password for maintenance
(or press Control-D to continue):

I am writing this on my phone, rewriting everything on the screen, as I do not know how to obtain logs or anything. I cannot give keyboard input for whatever reason, so I also cant input my root password. Thanks for your time.

Edit: forgot to mention, i'm certain i didn't do anything else on the computer at that time that would cause something this crazy

Last edited by mrowkiuq (2022-11-29 12:27:12)

Board footer