You are not logged in.

#1 2022-11-28 10:05:45

FuzzySPb

Android Emulator doesn't work - address resolution failed for ::1

Hi all,
Yes, the topic isn't new. I did some research and fixed my initial problems but I'm stuck now and need some help/advice.

I'm new to Android Studio on Linux. I used it some years ago on Windows for a month or two - everything went smooth.
I installed android-studio package from AUR yesterday and it works, no problem. I downloaded SDK and emulator packages from Tools menu of Android Studio. I created AVD. But I can't start it.
It appears my initial problems were caused by absence of qemu. So I installed it and now things look better (but I'm not sure that I selected correct qemu option as there was 2 of them: qemu-base, qemu-desktop, qemu-full).

I have this in logs now and nothing happens. No emulator window appears, no error is shown... I don't understand where the problem is.
The address seems to be a localhost... have no idea why it isn't resolved.

[user@my_pc Pixel_3a_API_33_x86_64.avd]$ /home/user/Android/Sdk/emulator/emulator -avd Pixel_3a_API_33_x86_64
INFO    | Android emulator version 31.3.13.0 (build_id 9189900) (CL:N/A)
emulator: INFO: Found systemPath /home/user/Android/Sdk/system-images/android-33/google_apis/x86_64/
INFO    | Duplicate loglines will be removed, if you wish to see each indiviudal line launch with the -log-nofilter flag.
WARNING | Failed to process .ini file /home/user/.android/avd/Pixel_3a_API_33_x86_64.avd/quickbootChoice.ini for reading.
Fontconfig warning: "/usr/share/fontconfig/conf.avail/05-reset-dirs-sample.conf", line 6: unknown element "reset-dirs"
WARNING | cannot add library /home/user/Android/Sdk/emulator/qemu/linux-x86_64/lib64/vulkan/libvulkan.so: failed
INFO    | added library /home/user/Android/Sdk/emulator/lib64/vulkan/libvulkan.so
INFO    | configAndStartRenderer: setting vsync to 60 hz
INFO    | Sending adb public key [QAAAAM999qzRl....h1MUfAfRJ0L1AEAAQA= user@unknown]
INFO    | injectedQemuChannel!
INFO    | Informing listeners of injection.
INFO    | Rootcanal has  been activated.
qemu-system-x86_64: -chardev socket,port=44869,host=::1,nowait,nodelay,ipv6,id=modem: address resolution failed for ::1:44869: Name or service not known

But I noticed this in output of systemctl status libvirtd.service:

my_pc libvirtd[4568]: Unable to find 'dnsmasq' binary in $PATH: No such file or directory

I don't have dnsmasq installed. But do I really need it?

Last edited by FuzzySPb (2022-11-28 15:59:13)

#2 2022-11-28 14:22:27

FuzzySPb

Re: Android Emulator doesn't work - address resolution failed for ::1

Ok, I did some more googling... and found an advice to disable IPv6 via

sysctl net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1

I tried and it works - emulator started up and worked for some time (it crashed later but I haven't discovered why).

But I wouldn't like to disable IPv6 completely... does anyone know how to try fixing it another way?

Here is my /etc/hosts:

[root@my_pc ~]# cat /etc/hosts
# Static table lookup for hostnames.
# See hosts(5) for details.
127.0.0.1       localhost
::1             localhost
127.0.0.1       my_pc.localdomain       my_pc
[root@my_pc ~]# 

Last edited by FuzzySPb (2022-11-28 14:23:55)

#3 2022-11-29 15:04:39

Lone_Wolf

address resolution failed for ::1:44869

It looks like qemu is trying to add a special device to port 44869 on localhost .

How are you starting the VM (CLi, libvirt, other qemu gui , something else ) ?

-chardev socket,port=44869,host=::1,nowait,nodelay,ipv6,id=modem

Looks like qemu tries to add a special device to localhost in the vm.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#4 2022-11-29 20:49:37

FuzzySPb

Lone_Wolf wrote:

How are you starting the VM (CLi, libvirt, other qemu gui , something else ) ?

This isn't my own VM - it is Android emulator that is part of Android Studio.
I start it with the command I wrote in the first message:

/home/user/Android/Sdk/emulator/emulator -avd Pixel_3a_API_33_x86_64

I.e. I only give the name of AVD (android virtual device) to it.

#5 2022-11-30 12:16:31

Lone_Wolf

The output suggests like this may be caused by version conflicts between systemwide installations and user installed stuff .

Can you try installing https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/android-emulator (possibly also installing https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/android-sdk ) and see if your AVD does run with the systeminstalled emulator then ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer