You are not logged in.

#1 2022-11-30 17:22:29

freshscaped

[SOLVED] verify signatures failed: no such file or dirctory

Hi Folks,

I've tried different mirrors (UK based) and the same thing happens. I can't get the signatures verified:

$ gpg --keyserver-options auto-key-retrieve --verify archlinux-2022.11.01-x86_64.iso.sig
gpg: assuming signed data in 'archlinux-2022.11.01-x86_64.iso'
gpg: Signature made Tue 01 Nov 2022 13:57:39 GMT
gpg:                using RSA key 4AA4767BBC9C4B1D18AE28B77F2D434B9741E8AC
gpg:                issuer "pierre@archlinux.de"
gpg: key 7F2D434B9741E8AC: public key "Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de>" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:               imported: 1
gpg: no ultimately trusted keys found
gpg: Good signature from "Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de>" [unknown]
gpg: WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature!
gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
Primary key fingerprint: 4AA4 767B BC9C 4B1D 18AE  28B7 7F2D 434B 9741 E8AC
[mike@duke Downloads]$ gpg --keyserver-options auto-key-retrieve --verify archlinux-2022.10.01-x86_64.iso.sig
gpg: can't open 'archlinux-2022.10.01-x86_64.iso.sig': No such file or directory
gpg: verify signatures failed: No such file or directory

After hours of searching I'm at a loss to find a solution. Surely, every mirror cannot be dishing out false keys?

I've just built a brand new, unsullied by any OS, midi tower box and am trying to load it for the first time. I don't want to patch across from this box, which has been running Arch for at least 6 years with nothing more than a bit of coddling here and a bit of bullying there every now and then.

Last edited by freshscaped (2022-12-03 07:48:04)

#2 2022-11-30 17:30:04

cfr

Re: [SOLVED] verify signatures failed: no such file or dirctory

The first one shows the signature *is* verified.

gpg: Good signature from "Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de>" [unknown]

It says the key is not trusted because you haven't told gpg you trust this key. But the signature is verified relative to the key and that, typically, is what you would expect.

You can check that the key matches one of those published for Arch's developers, so that you have some independent reason to trust the key.

The second one fails because the signature file you asked gpg to verify doesn't exist on your system or, at least, not in your current directory.

Last edited by cfr (2022-11-30 17:33:40)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#3 2022-11-30 17:45:38

freshscaped

Thanks. Sorry, I didn't intend to include the second one. On the first, I'd failed to understand that I had to signal my own trust too. Useful to know but very rarely would I use it. Most installations are done using pacman on an already installed system. The keys usually work without me having to specifically call them.

However, when I try to install using either .iso, each runs without a problem, until trying to add a text editor (vi, vim, nano) results in failure because none of the keys in pacman's keyring are recognised, even after running

pacman-key --refresh-keys 

A text editor is need to modify some of the files required for installation. But the same thing happens when trying to install the base system too. That's when a whole string of unrecognised keys flashes by.

I can't see that the two would be directly related unless the whole keyring system had been corrupted, hugely unlikely. But I can't work out what is going wrong here.

#4 2022-11-30 17:53:07

Slithery
Administrator

freshscaped wrote:
[mike@duke Downloads]$ gpg --keyserver-options auto-key-retrieve --verify archlinux-2022.10.01-x86_64.iso.sig
gpg: can't open 'archlinux-2022.10.01-x86_64.iso.sig': No such file or directory
gpg: verify signatures failed: No such file or directory

You're asking gpg to verify a file that doesn't exist. You need to actually download the signature file from the mirror as well as the .iso.

freshscaped wrote:

A text editor is need to modify some of the files required for installation.

Why do you need to install a text editor on the live system? Both nano and vim are already included...
https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/ … ges.x86_64

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#5 2022-11-30 18:23:43

freshscaped

You need to actually download the signature file from the mirror as well as the .iso.

Yes, I recognised I'd cited the wrong iso file immediately. I'd already deleted its signature. That's why I hadn't intended to include it in my OP.

Both nano and vim are already included...

That's what I thought until I tried using them. Not found.

So I think it's established the .iso is correctly signed but thereafter there are missing text editors and unrecognised pgp keys for all pacman packages. Something is direly wrong.

I'm thinking about whether the mobo manufacturer, Gigabyte, may have stuck something in the BIOS which may interfere with the installation process. They say they support Linux but upon closer inspection they support Ubuntu and are calling that Linux. I'll try calling their London office tomorrow to see if they can throw any light on the mater. If anybody else has similar experience please shout.

#6 2022-11-30 18:42:19

ayekat

freshscaped wrote:

Both nano and vim are already included...

That's what I thought until I tried using them. Not found.

Is that from the root shell you are thrown in after booting the live system, or is that in the freshly installed system (with pacstrap), after chrooting in?

Note that if you only install base, there will indeed not be any text editor installed, hence the remark in the Installation Guide about installing a text editor.

pkgshackscfgblag

#7 2022-11-30 18:58:02

freshscaped

Both. Tried installing the editor after installing with pacstrap then tried again whilst still in the live system. Indeed I've been following the guide closely and noted that advice. No text editor and no way to install one. Rocks and hard places spring to mind.

This is the third day I've been trying and searching for answers without success. I only write to this forum reluctantly, usually as a last resort. But then, there is usually somebody here before me and reading their problem through to success stage has helped over the years. Not this time though.

#8 2022-11-30 20:07:57

cfr

Which command exactly are you trying and exactly what is the output?

Are you using archinstall or following the Installation Guide?

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#9 2022-11-30 20:50:42

freshscaped

Following the installation guide.

vi /path/to/file

whether to open an existing or create a missing file. This elicits responses to the effect of "{vi/nano/vim}not found" in lengthier terms.

#pacman -S {package-name}

which elicits untrusted key / unknown keyholder style responses. All very simple stuff I would normally expect to work without issues.

Unless there's a visible, fixable, reason within the BIOS I'll be looking at various other options. The bare system, pre-OS, needs to recognise a bootable medium and there are a few which look promising, such as the netboot and USB flash alternatives documented on the wiki pages.

The keys issue in Arch has been going on for years. It appears to be too complex, with so many possible causes, for other than the most ardent code enthusiast and hugely time consuming for those of us who use computers as tools to reach non-computing ends. It's a great distro for all that so it's probably as well to skirt the issue rather than to try to meet it head on.

Unless, of course, somebody comes up with a workable solution.

Last edited by freshscaped (2022-11-30 20:52:33)

#10 2022-11-30 21:26:50

cfr

freshscaped wrote:

Following the installation guide.

vi /path/to/file

whether to open an existing or create a missing file. This elicits responses to the effect of "{vi/nano/vim}not found" in lengthier terms.

#pacman -S {package-name}

which elicits untrusted key / unknown keyholder style responses. All very simple stuff I would normally expect to work without issues.

Unless there's a visible, fixable, reason within the BIOS I'll be looking at various other options. The bare system, pre-OS, needs to recognise a bootable medium and there are a few which look promising, such as the netboot and USB flash alternatives documented on the wiki pages.

I'm lost. You said you'd booted the live ISO and installed Arch, so what isn't recognised pre-OS?

freshscaped wrote:

The keys issue in Arch has been going on for years. It appears to be too complex, with so many possible causes, for other than the most ardent code enthusiast and hugely time consuming for those of us who use computers as tools to reach non-computing ends. It's a great distro for all that so it's probably as well to skirt the issue rather than to try to meet it head on.

Unless, of course, somebody comes up with a workable solution.

If this is supposed to be a general claim, it just isn't true. There is no problem with keys in Arch. Of course, people sometimes experience problems, but those are eminently resolvable and by no means general.

You've said you get the same errors about keys in the live system as in the newly installed one, but you've also said you get errors when trying to install base, which suggests you're unable to install the system.

gpg keys are deeply confusing, but you don't have to deal with them to install and maintain arch as the tools do it for you. The exception is verifying the downloaded ISO, which your output shows worked perfectly fine.

I honestly don't know what issue you are actually experiencing, what you are actually trying to do or what you've done. Earlier in the thread, I thought I did, but I am actually clueless. I think there's some basic misunderstanding somewhere, but I have no idea what it is.

#11 2022-11-30 22:19:35

freshscaped

You said you'd booted the live ISO and installed Arch

Not quite. I've booted the live ISO several times having downloaded them, same one each time, from several mirrors. But I haven't yet managed to install Arch. The partitioning and file types are  configured as I wished but the mount points are deleted at each failure. Nothing else happens.

You've said you get the same errors about keys in the live system as in the newly installed one, but you've also said you get errors when trying to install base, which suggests you're unable to install the system.

Correct. That's what I've been trying to say. Got as far as the chroot and no further. Started again after much reading and searching each time.

you don't have to deal with them to install . . . arch

theoretically correct. But I'm following the installation directions precisely and that is precisely what is, in fact and regardless of theory, happening.

I think there's some basic misunderstanding somewhere

I agree totally. What's more, I'm not finding the words to explain exactly what is happening so am still in the dark as to what I should be learning or asking for help with.

Grateful to all for sticking with me this far. I'm finding it extremely frustrating but I'll keep at it.Oh, and the errors aren't in the installed system. They come after chrooting mainly, except when I try to forestall them by trying to run an install command (pacman -S) whilst still in the live system. But as cfr correctly notes, the installation still hasn't happened by then.

#12 2022-11-30 23:01:15

Slithery
Administrator

The live ISO and the installed system that you chroot into are completely different things.

As I stated earlier both vim and nano are included on the live ISO. If you want them to also be available on your installed system then you need to include them in your pacstrap command.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#13 2022-12-01 00:14:52

cfr

freshscaped wrote:

Oh, and the errors aren't in the installed system. They come after chrooting mainly,

If you haven't installed the system, there's nothing to arch-chroot into. What commands **exactly** do you use once booted into the live ISO?

freshscaped wrote:

except when I try to forestall them by trying to run an install command (pacman -S) whilst still in the live system. But as cfr correctly notes, the installation still hasn't happened by then.

Suppose you boot into the live environment and **immediately** you have a prompt try

vim hello.txt

Or nano, if you prefer. Don't try to install anything or mount anything. Just invoke the text editor while booted into the live Arch ISO environment.

Last edited by cfr (2022-12-01 00:15:35)

#14 2022-12-01 17:24:03

freshscaped

@cfr, sorry, only just seen your latest contribution. This (working) machine is in a different place to the new (empty) one I'm trying to install arch on. So it's far from a simple matter to copy across actual responses to commands.

The new installation will not persist, according to the installation instructions, nor will it boot again unless it has a bootloader before exiting the chroot state then rebooting from the live system. In other words, the chrooted state is not yet a fully installed system. The data is wiped if exited. Simply, I haven't got as far as installing a bootloader.

There is a current AMD CPU in the new box so I need to work out how to work microcode into, probably, efistub before I can exit and reboot.

The text editor question has been resolved, thank you for the pointer @Slithery. I must haver skipped over the link in the guide at first reading.

However, there is an error in the installation guide:

To install other packages or package groups, append the names to the pacstrap command above (space separated) or use pacman whilst chrooted into the new system.

pacman does not work whilst chrooted into the new system.

I'm not sure whether signatures were the problem at all. More likely that pacman is there but not enabled at that stage. The solution was to exit the chroot and re-run pacstrap with everything needed added, including the microcode and the chosen bootloader. The latter is new to me. Having not installed an arch system for at least four years (laptop), if my memory serves me well, the system worked without having to select a specific bootloader before rebooting from live.

Last edited by freshscaped (2022-12-01 17:30:47)

#15 2022-12-01 20:23:38

cfr

freshscaped wrote:

@cfr, sorry, only just seen your latest contribution. This (working) machine is in a different place to the new (empty) one I'm trying to install arch on. So it's far from a simple matter to copy across actual responses to commands.

You can post responses from the live system or from within the arch-chrooted system. See link in my signature below.

freshscaped wrote:

The new installation will not persist, according to the installation instructions,

False. Once you've run pacstrap or whatever, the files are there and will persist unless deleted.

freshscaped wrote:

nor will it boot again unless it has a bootloader before exiting the chroot state then rebooting from the live system.

This is true, but you can use the ISO to boot and then arch-chroot into the new system. The rest of the system is there.

freshscaped wrote:

In other words, the chrooted state is not yet a fully installed system. The data is wiped if exited.

False.

freshscaped wrote:

However, there is an error in the installation guide:

To install other packages or package groups, append the names to the pacstrap command above (space separated) or use pacman whilst chrooted into the new system.

pacman does not work whilst chrooted into the new system.

If it does not work, you've done something wrong somewhere. What output do you get when you try to execute which command?

freshscaped wrote:

I'm not sure whether signatures were the problem at all. More likely that pacman is there but not enabled at that stage.

Again, this is just false. It doesn't need to be 'enabled'.

freshscaped wrote:

The solution was to exit the chroot and re-run pacstrap with everything needed added, including the microcode and the chosen bootloader.

That will, of course, also work.

So is this topic now solved?

#16 2022-12-01 23:15:52

freshscaped

The live image only offers me a very basic command line prompt. No opportunity to use a mouse. Nothing. It is probably nearer to 20 years than to 15 since I tried such an interface for direct communications. Sorry.

The files, indeed their contents too. But any partitions, devices, need to be remounted. It's a lot of needless messing about and it is in the wrong place. Once done, it will be moved and working on wifi instead of wired. Also, it is unlikely I shall need to do a fresh install of a box for at least a few years, by which time it will all have changed again.

I've downloaded the OS from recognised mirrors and followed the GNOME instructions on the working arch box to load it onto a memory stick as a bootable installation medium. Non culpis m'lud.

This is coming from the dusted off, cobwebs gone, moths too, laptop so I can hand copy what's coming off the pacman responses. Not truly 'code' as I'll abbreviate much of it, but enough to get the idea.

pacman -Syu
{resolving dependencies, looking for conflicting .., Packages, download sizes, Proceed with installation (y), Retrieving packages (lists them)}
(4/4) checking keys in keyring
downloading required keys. . .
:: Import PGP key {key#}, "{name (archmoniker) <email>"? [Y/n] 

If answer n, goes on to next name. At first Y answer:

error: required key missing from keyring
error: failed to commit transaction (unexpected error)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded

Similarly, when trying to install a single package, e.g.

pacman -S {some packagename} 

I used the unlikely candidate gedit as an instance - just found out it has 89 dependencies
This time the system successfully downloaded the first three keys before baulking, then the usual:

::Import . . . {same credential as earlier} . . . y (-repeated)
(89/89) checking package integrity
error: hicolor-icon-theme: signature from "{credentials}" is unknown trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/{pkgname}.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).

<edit> Apologies, the question is the problem resolved is not answered. I'm not sure. The signatures are still failing in the sense they are not being accepted to install packages, but is that a corrupted pacman file, corrupted signatures or some other factor? I still don't know. I'm being told pacman is in the chrooted image. It is certainly listed in the pacstrap downloads. But it doesn't work here.</edit>

Last edited by freshscaped (2022-12-01 23:31:27)

#17 2022-12-02 00:06:34

cfr

freshscaped wrote:

The live image only offers me a very basic command line prompt. No opportunity to use a mouse. Nothing. It is probably nearer to 20 years than to 15 since I tried such an interface for direct communications. Sorry.

As I said, click on the link in my signature for instructions.

Why do you say no when asked to import a key?

You are effectively doing partial upgrades since a failed pacman -Syu is equivalent to pacman -Sy (unless it fails to do anything), and then you do pacman -S <package>.

You're not giving people the information they need to figure out what you've done or how to fix it. Without more information, any suggestions may do more harm than good. I'm still not sure whether you are trying things in the chroot or the live environment, whether you are setting up the chroot correctly and so on.

You're asking for advice with a medical problem which might be yours or your sibling's, while you both hide behind a brick wall with the occasional hole in the mortar. For all those of us on this side know, you might have a sore thumb or a severed spinal cord. Or it might not be you, but your sibling's ruptured spleen. People only know what you tell us, but when they ask you for x-rays and blood samples, you just say 'something hurts'.

#18 2022-12-02 00:50:16

freshscaped

As I said, click on the link in my signature for instructions.

Thanks. I'll try that.

Why do you say no when asked to import a key?

Trying both yes and no to see what responses ensue. Yes doesn't work either.

You are effectively doing partial upgrades since a failed pacman -Syu is equivalent to pacman -Sy (unless it fails to do anything), and then you do pacman -S <package>.

pacman -S {pkg} came first and was repeated many times. pacman -Syu came as an experiment after your question.

This is a unique experience for me. I have a dying PC which has been running arch for quite a few years and a laptop, not used much recently but an arch client of four or five years. I am quite happy to solve problems on the run with either.

Installing now has changed immensely. So I'm reading a lot, mostly on the arch wiki and forums. What I am actually doing is following everything as advised by the installation guide, word for word or selecting options as appropriate from that guide.

I am not a trained or experienced developer, coder or sysadmin. But I do quickly learn my way around an installation once built. With those things I come across every few years, as with most people, it is like going through it anew. And it has changed. Lots. Why do I need to keep up to date with those changes when I am unlikely to need them? Well that's an open question for all.

Mostly now everything is happening within the chroot. The only thing going on before then is re-mounting everything so I can get to chroot.

And yes, I agree. I am asking questions which you are correct to ask for qualifications but there is no basis for qualification. I cannot put my finger on what is wrong nor can I guide you to it.

#19 2022-12-02 00:51:24

dakota

It will be much easier for us if you follow cfr's link about using a "pastebin" client: we will be able to see the exact message that you're seeing.

The reason this is important is that there are several things going on and you're getting mixed up with the different error messages.

It is a little unclear (and I've had to make some guesses), but I think you've done the following steps:

1. Download archlinux-2022.11.01-x86_64.iso and burn to memory stick
2. Verify .iso signature
3. Partition the hard drive
4. Install a file system
5. Use pacstrap to install some packages to the hard drive (which ones ???)
6. Chroot into the newly-installed operating system...

... and at this point, when you try to run "pacman -S {some packagename} " you get a keyring error?

If so, perhaps trying to update/reinstall the keyring FIRST will help?

# pacman -S archlinux-keyring

[I had a very similar problem a month ago with a fresh install (but an old .iso) and I kept getting tripped up with the keyring. I knew there was a way to fix it, but it was much quicker to just download an up-to-date iso. I see that the 2022.12.01 iso is now out.]

But if installing the keyring first doesn't help, we really need to see the complete text of the error messages... and (of course) the exact command that you typed.

Cheers,

EDIT - by "FIRST" I mean: "the first pacman command after you enter chroot"

Last edited by dakota (2022-12-02 00:54:20)

"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb

#20 2022-12-02 01:35:46

freshscaped

@dakota you've nailed the sequence. Reinstalling the archlinux keyring didn't help. I'll try the 2022.12.01 iso  tomorrow and follow @cfr's link sequence through to pastebin if there are any more problems to report.

Sincere thanks to all from an exhausted me. G'night.

#21 2022-12-02 18:51:37

freshscaped

The December iso is now on the pen drive, the live system is running, keyboard assigned (UK), partitions mounted and chrooted into the "installed" system once more. Pacman is still playing on another park. I haven't yet found out how to select or indicate which commands and responses to copy to any of the pastebins so to save some time here is a full pacman command and response typed out by hand. Not sure the two lines of hashes/numeric signs are the correct length but the whole thing is otherwise verbatim.

[root@archiso /]# pacman -S archlinux-keyring
warning:: archlinux-keyring-20221123-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) archlinux-keyring-20221123-1

Total Installation Size:	1.50 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:		0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(1/1) checking keys in keyring              [#################################]
(1/1) checking package integrity            [#################################]
error: archlinux-keyring: signature from "Christian Hesse <eworm@archlinux.org>" is unknown trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/archlinux-keyring-20221123-1-any.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
Do you want to delete it? [Y/n] n
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature))
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded
[root@archiso /]# 

This is now saved as a text file. All of the responses with pacman have been so similar it will not be difficult to submit more, much of it a copy and paste job.

I'll carry on trying to find a reference for manipulating text in a barebones console as it looks to be tremendously useful.

#22 2022-12-02 19:31:53

cfr

How did you chroot exactly? What did you mount and where?

Last edited by cfr (2022-12-02 19:32:45)

#23 2022-12-02 19:40:36

freshscaped

# mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot
# swapon /dev/sda3
#mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/home 

then

# arch-chroot /mnt 

No need to mkdir for boot and home, already done.

#24 2022-12-02 21:42:33

cfr

Maybe try

pacman-key --init
pacman-key --populate
pacman -Syu

It makes no sense that you're getting complaints about a signature for a package you already have installed. If the key was not trusted, pacman should have refused to install it originally. If the key was fine then, it should be fine now (since this isn't an expiration/revocation issue). So something has been done to mess this system up. Or things were not installed correctly in the first place. These are not errors you should see on a new install because pacstrap manages these things without your needing to intervene.

#25 2022-12-02 22:10:04

freshscaped

BOOM BOOM! Forever in gratitude to you, @cfr. That worked.

The question of where the corruption came from will, I would guess, never be resolved. Also guessing, many people must have downloaded that image and installed it without problems over the same time period. Nothing in my own method strayed one jot from the recommended path. Previous experience, years ago, taught me to follow 'local', i.e. advisors from within a system, advice to the letter wherever possible. Which I have attempted to do.

Maybe a minor glitch in the connection whilst downloading? Who can tell?

Sincere thanks to all on this thread. I'll be marking it as "SOLVED" now. Or should that be "RESOLVED"? I'll look it up first ;-)

So I can move on to installing a bootloader, then to encryption. Then, finally, to use the box for the purposes for which it is intended.

Board footer