You are not logged in.

#1 2022-12-03 05:21:37

wooof

[Solved]Optimus & Wayland

I have a 1660Ti Mobile and I have done the Wayland configurations described in section 1.3 here https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NVIDIA . On wayland I can run most games with the 1660 but the DE (KDE) still runs off the IGPU, making the secondary screen very choppy as it's being rendered through the 1660. I have tried to use the BIOS mux switch to force the 1660, but trying to start KDE from the tty gives an error code 255 which means no screens connected. This makes sense if it's still trying to use the IGPU as the mux switch is turned away from it and it's not connected to any monitors. Is there something I can do like VGASwitcheroo, blacklisting intel graphics drivers, or some KDE configuration which will let me run the DE with the Nvidia card? Also reason is cause I want full refresh rate on 144hz laptop screen and 60hz secondary monitor.

Edit: Wayland with Gnome and Sway also do not work. Also I saw that the IGPU is gone from 'inxi -G' with mux switch flipped, maybe the igpu isn't the problem?

$ inxi -G
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA TU116M [GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Mobile] driver: nvidia
    v: 525.60.11
  Device-2: Acer Integrated Camera type: USB driver: uvcvideo
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.4 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.5 driver: X:
    loaded: nvidia unloaded: modesetting gpu: nvidia,nvidia-nvswitch resolution:
    1: 1920x1080~144Hz 2: 1920x1080~60Hz
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 525.60.11 renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660
    Ti/PCIe/SSE2

Edit2: I've been trying to run startplasma-wayland from tty with some different variables, both DRI_PRIME=1 and DRI_PRIME=pci-0000_01_00_0 and both result in software rendering, prime-run startplasma-wayland totally breaks the DE and I have to physically turn off the computer.

Edit3: It works? Here's my method: Set Envycontrol to Nvidia -> reboot -> run my script which edits grub config, initramfs, and disables SDDM -> reboot -> reboot -> go to BIOS and flip mux switch towards nvidia card -> reboot -> become root inside tty -> 'dbus-run-session startplasma-wayland --drm'. This gives me the full refresh rate from both displays and renders with 1660Ti.  Now my only problem is getting it to work as a normal user, which is file permission stuff and not a laptop issue. I'll mark this as solved.

Last edited by wooof (2022-12-03 20:57:37)

Board footer