You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-05 00:31:24

twiistedkaos

Microphone stopped working on linux box [solved]

For some odd reason my mic has stopped working. I don't think I ever even changed anything, I used to talk on skype all the time but now it's not working at all. So I went over to my friends house who has windows to see if the mic would work and to my surprise it did. So, something is messed up on my linux end, is there any test I could do? I tried with arecord and all I get is static. I checked all my alsa options and everything that is related to the microphone is on, infact at one time I turned everything on and it still doesn't work.

#2 2006-11-06 21:19:49

twiistedkaos

Re: Microphone stopped working on linux box [solved]

No help at all? I know my mic is technically wokring on linux because if I tap on the mic I can heat the output through my speakers. It's just failing to record anything or being able to use my mic on any application.

#3 2006-11-09 02:40:27

erosa

I had the same problem recently. I was never able to get the mic to work sad It appeared to be some kind of signal routing issue with ALSA's dmix.

Oh boy!

#4 2006-11-09 04:11:47

twiistedkaos

It does seem that more than one person is having this problem and it's not only us. Once I gather more information I am thinking about posting a bug report.

#5 2006-11-09 22:41:26

twiistedkaos

Hmm, alright more updates smile. I used a gnome sound recording application, tried to record with it's settings on microphone and of course I got statis, but I changed the settings to capture it recorded perfectly fine. Now my issue is, Skype, or teamspeak dont have the option to change from microphone to capture, so... how would I bypass this?

#6 2006-12-01 01:36:59

Exclamation

twiistedkaos wrote:

Hmm, alright more updates smile. I used a gnome sound recording application, tried to record with it's settings on microphone and of course I got statis, but I changed the settings to capture it recorded perfectly fine. Now my issue is, Skype, or teamspeak dont have the option to change from microphone to capture, so... how would I bypass this?

I have the same prob. Mic works in gnome sound recorder but not in teamspeak.

#7 2006-12-01 03:12:21

twiistedkaos

Exclamation wrote:
twiistedkaos wrote:

I have the same prob. Mic works in gnome sound recorder but not in teamspeak.

I'd help you, but the thing is, I don't know exactly what I did to fix it, I just started doing random things until it suddenly started working again.

#8 2006-12-01 10:39:48

lanrat

Did you try to set it with alsamixer?

For teamspeak/skype you can try aoss but I'm not sure if it will help with recording - just guessing...

Board footer