You are not logged in.

#1 2022-12-04 05:16:10

AmithKumar

Error after updating Arch

:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                        153.9 KiB  95.8 KiB/s 00:02 [########################################] 100%
 extra                                      1743.2 KiB   357 KiB/s 00:05 [########################################] 100%
 community                                     7.2 MiB   359 KiB/s 00:20 [########################################] 100%
 multilib                                    165.6 KiB   142 KiB/s 00:01 [########################################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (11) glib2-2.74.3-1  glib2-docs-2.74.3-1  gnome-remote-desktop-43.2-1  linux-6.0.11.arch1-1
              linux-headers-6.0.11.arch1-1  python-cairo-1.23.0-2  ruby-io-wait-0.2.3-4  ruby-ipaddr-1.2.4-3
              ruby-logger-1.5.1-3  ruby-mutex_m-0.1.1-3  sqlite-3.40.0-2

Total Installed Size:  362.78 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       -0.14 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
(11/11) checking keys in keyring                                         [########################################] 100%
(11/11) checking package integrity                                       [########################################] 100%
(11/11) loading package files                                            [########################################] 100%
(11/11) checking for file conflicts                                      [########################################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
python-cairo: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-310.pyc exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

I have found the same query wiki forum.
But don't know how to overwrite the old, can someone help me with command

from here
[solved] python-entrypoints: entrypoints.cpython-310.pyc

Last edited by AmithKumar (2022-12-04 08:37:35)

#2 2022-12-04 05:25:04

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: Error after updating Arch

See the pacman wiki page.

#3 2022-12-04 06:02:25

AmithKumar

Scimmia wrote:

Sorry to bother you brother, could just post the process or commands to follow
I'm a newbie here

I already messed up once, but thanks to timeshift.

#4 2022-12-04 06:48:00

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

AmithKumar wrote:
Scimmia wrote:

I'm a newbie here

Read the wiki page. No-one is going to type it out for you.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2022-12-04 07:38:51

AmithKumar

jasonwryan wrote:
AmithKumar wrote:
Scimmia wrote:

I'm a newbie here

Did not do much but just renamed the older file and updated

Issue resolved

#6 2022-12-04 08:00:18

seth

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman … )%22_error
Learn to read the wiki if you want to continue to use arch, otherwise you'll have a hard time w/ archlinux.

Also please use code tags, https://bbs.archlinux.org/help.php#bbcode , avoid full quotes and
Please always remember to mark resolved threads by editing your initial posts subject - so others will know that there's no task left, but maybe a solution to find.
Thanks.

#7 2022-12-04 10:17:06

neoteche

jasonwryan wrote:
AmithKumar wrote:
Scimmia wrote:

I'm a newbie here

Why so? We users are using this distro to work with it and not to spend hours reading the wiki with no desirable output. The arch wiki is great but this is no way to talk with a newbie. I also found this thread because I also ran into the same issue but thanks to you, I got nothing.

#8 2022-12-04 10:31:20

seth

Why so? … spend hours reading the wiki with no desirable output

It is explicitly and directly addressed there - there's no way you spent even 5 minutes at the wiki.
You're instead asking people on the forum to read the wiki to you; verbatim.
If that's what it takes for you to use archlinux, you're using the wrong distribution.

On top of that the OP asked to

just post the process or commands to follow

ie. being spoonfed administration and other people to maintain their system for them, w/ them being a mere remote control.
If that's what it takes for you to use archlinux, you're using the wrong distribution.

On a sidenote: everyone in this forum is a user. This isn't a helpdesk.

#9 2022-12-04 11:53:53

neoteche

seth wrote:

Why so? … spend hours reading the wiki with no desirable output

It is explicitly and directly addressed there - there's no way you spent even 5 minutes at the wiki.
You're instead asking people on the forum to read the wiki to you; verbatim.

On top of that the OP asked to

just post the process or commands to follow

ie. being spoonfed administration and other people to maintain their system for them, w/ them being a mere remote control.

On a sidenote: everyone in this forum is a user. This isn't a helpdesk.

That ain't wrong. I did read the wiki and was able to fix the issue by simply deleting that one file and it got recreated and the upgrade went just fine. His way of conduct was not good too. What aout that?

#10 2022-12-04 21:22:25

LegendaryRyan

Instead of taking time to put OP or anybody else down, I'll take the two seconds to answer your question, and qualify it with the Arch Linux Wiki. I think it's really important for new users that we answer their questions in a helpful way, and explain what we do and why we do it. The Arch Linux wiki is powerful, however it is often overwhelming for new users. It's a total knowledge bomb, and if you don't know the technical jargon, you can absolutely get lost. So, I will do my best to explain how I solved this issue when it popped up for me today.

I also had this error pop up today while trying to run a full system update. I'm not an Arch Linux noobie at all, I've been using it for a few years, but haven't run into this problem. In my search for the problem, this thread came up.

Here is what I did to remedy the issue.

In accordance with the Arch Linux Wiki, on the pacman page, I first checked the file in question to see if any packages owned this file.

$ pacman -Qo /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/____init__.py   __init__.pyi  __pycache__/
error: No package owns /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-310.pyc

This returned the error, "No packages owns..." that file. This means that we, as regular users, can totally modify this file without worrying about breaking our package manager. If the package manager owns a file, we need to make sure we allow the package manager to do it's thing, or we could potentially cause some problems.

Because no packages own this file that is holding up our upgrade, it means we should be safe to move it or copy it. I wouldn't recommend deleting it or overwriting it, as I don't know what this specific file does. If we overwrite the file or delete it, and it turns out we need it, we will be out of luck and have to work 10 times harder to fix the problem.

To remedy the issue then, I simply moved the file, aka renamed it. I ran the following command, then updated my packages.

$ sudo mv /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-310.pyc /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-310.pyc.bak

Then updated my packages with

$ sudo pacman -Syu

and everything worked.

Last edited by LegendaryRyan (2022-12-04 21:24:36)

#11 2022-12-04 23:21:15

Subject-17
Banned

Hey, thanks LegendaryRyan, this is the first result on google to solve this issue.

+@AmithKumar, I've had this kind of issue happen to me before with python system packages.  Typically I get these kinds of conflicts because I've either
1. installed an alternative (often newer) version of python than the one you get from installing via

pacman -S python

, or
2. because I mistakenly ran a system install while I had another version of python active via asdf/pyenv/whatever and it modified my system path, which only pacman should be touching.

I share in both of your opinions that the wikis are often unclear, overly verbose, or out of date.  Typically what I'll do is simply

man pacman

in situations like this if the first few results of my search engine don't provide immediately fruitful.  In this case, the

--overwrite

flag seems useful.  I noticed a "glob" parameter which seemed relevant.  So, after the failure of my command:

python-cairo: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-310.pyc exists in filesystem

I figured there might be other files conflicting, so I globbed out the entire cairo directory and ran the following

yay -Syu --overwrite '/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/*'

This fixed the upgrade issue.  Cheers, hope that helped.

@ jasonwryan You're pathetic.  30k+ posts of mostly harassment. Do you actually do anything with your life or are you content to be an edgelord bullying people less knowledgeable in Linux than yourself?  It takes exactly zero effort to not be an asshole.  Just don't post.  You're what gives this community a bad rep, and I hate to share an interest with you.

@Seth While I agree OP didn't read the wiki, I get a sense English might not be their strong suit.  I'd note that we have big red scary warnings about not using

--overwrite

, which was the exact solution I used here and imo the correct way to handle this.  I'm going to update the wiki to provide some this as an example of a time where

--overwrite

may appropriate, but please advise if you disagree.

Last edited by Subject-17 (2022-12-04 23:43:50)

#12 2022-12-04 23:55:28

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Subject-17 wrote:

@ jasonwryan You're pathetic.  30k+ posts of mostly harassment. Do you actually do anything with your life or are you content to be an edgelord bullying people less knowledgeable in Linux than yourself?  It takes exactly zero effort to not be an asshole.  Just don't post.  You're what gives this community a bad rep, and I hate to share an interest with you.

And your contribution to the community is what? Adding useless information to the wiki that an actual contributor will just have to revert.

Perhaps try reading it before posting, like the OP.

#13 2022-12-05 04:08:22

cfr

LegendaryRyan wrote:

I think it's really important for new users that we answer their questions in a helpful way, and explain what we do and why we do it. The Arch Linux wiki is powerful, however it is often overwhelming for new users. It's a total knowledge bomb, and if you don't know the technical jargon, you can absolutely get lost.

Pointing to the wiki **is** a helpful answer. Because it can be difficult to find what you need, people generally link to specific parts of the wiki - sometimes pages, but often particular sections. So there is no way to get lost. You are taken directly there.

Duplicating content here is less helpful because, unlike the wiki, it won't get updated when things change, but it will still show up in search results. This is why answers should direct people to relevant parts of the wiki, where the wiki provides the answer.

Last edited by cfr (2022-12-05 04:08:58)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#14 2022-12-05 05:35:40

tom8o

Let's keep in mind that learning how to ask questions well and reading the very detailed and technical Arch wiki are both acquired skills. No need to be this aggressive towards a new user, IMHO, even if the wiki has the right answer.

Anyhow, thanks for documenting I'm not the only one experiencing this issue with this particular file, folks. The wiki section linked to solved the problem (pacman -Qo said it wasn't owned by anything, so I appended .bak to the file name, then sudo pacman -Syu worked).

#15 2022-12-05 08:39:20

seth

PSA:
If you get errors like

don't google for the exact token.
Google for the context (eg. "pacman") and the generic parts "error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)" and "exists in filesystem" and "Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded"

@Subject-17, if we're being honest, you've apparently not read most of Jason's 30k+ posts.
I see that the wiki per your edit now invites people to ask on the forum whether or not to --overwrite files - we'll see whether that results in a flurry of "i didn't think or search the forum, but here's my 128th copy of the exact same damn question" posts. The edit would have to be reverted.

#16 2022-12-05 09:02:23

dogknowsnx

seth (emphasis added) wrote:

Learn to read the wiki if you want to continue to use arch, otherwise you'll have a hard time w/ archlinux

Quote from "https://archlinux.org/about/":

Arch Linux is a versatile, and simple distribution designed to fit the needs of the competent Linux® user

The 'issue' the OP was experiencing is the direct result of at least one of the points made above...

Passive-aggressiveness found here or anywhere on the interwebs aside (facilitated by the sense of anonymity) - I'd rather get a straight answer and rethink my choice of OS, than being spoon-fed and continue having a "hard time w/ archlinux". My humble opinion...

Notifications for Arch Linux package updates
RI - Rest your Eyes and Self

"We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Maynard James Keenan

#17 2022-12-05 11:08:17

headkase

The original poster didn't get to the root of their problem.  Too busy arguing about etiquette I guess.  Anyway, if you install packages with Python's PIP as root then you will end up with untracked files.  And those are what pacman is complaining about: it won't replace them because according to the pacman database they're not supposed to be there.  And I agree with the sentiment that you should understand your system not hack away problems which likely will create new ones.  So, OP, don't use PIP as root and if you must use PIP then use a Virtual Environment for Python.  That's simple to set up, consult the wiki.

#18 2022-12-05 11:30:21

dogknowsnx

@headkase In this case the "file exists in filesystem" actually was a packaging issue (I had the same error - but no 'issue'...)

Last edited by dogknowsnx (2022-12-05 11:36:28)

Notifications for Arch Linux package updates
RI - Rest your Eyes and Self

"We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Maynard James Keenan

#19 2022-12-05 14:15:41

seth

The collision though implies that sombody ran something that included python-cairo as root - what somebody should not have done wink

#20 2022-12-06 03:20:08

cfr

seth wrote:

@Subject-17, ...
I see that the wiki per your edit now invites people to ask on the forum whether or not to --overwrite files - we'll see whether that results in a flurry of "i didn't think or search the forum, but here's my 128th copy of the exact same damn question" posts. The edit would have to be reverted.

Both edits have been reverted already wink.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#21 2022-12-06 03:56:29

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

cfr wrote:
seth wrote:

@Subject-17, ...

Both edits have been reverted already wink.

Who could possibly have foreseen that?

jwr wrote:

And your contribution to the community is what? Adding useless information to the wiki that an actual contributor will just have to revert.

#22 2022-12-06 09:37:42

Tibix

Subject-17 wrote:

Hey, thanks LegendaryRyan, this is the first result on google to solve this issue.

+@AmithKumar, I've had this kind of issue happen to me before with python system packages.  Typically I get these kinds of conflicts because I've either
1. installed an alternative (often newer) version of python than the one you get from installing via

pacman -S python

, or
2. because I mistakenly ran a system install while I had another version of python active via asdf/pyenv/whatever and it modified my system path, which only pacman should be touching.

I share in both of your opinions that the wikis are often unclear, overly verbose, or out of date.  Typically what I'll do is simply

man pacman

in situations like this if the first few results of my search engine don't provide immediately fruitful.  In this case, the

--overwrite

flag seems useful.  I noticed a "glob" parameter which seemed relevant.  So, after the failure of my command:

I figured there might be other files conflicting, so I globbed out the entire cairo directory and ran the following

yay -Syu --overwrite '/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/*'

This fixed the upgrade issue.  Cheers, hope that helped.

@Seth While I agree OP didn't read the wiki, I get a sense English might not be their strong suit.  I'd note that we have big red scary warnings about not using

--overwrite

, which was the exact solution I used here and imo the correct way to handle this.  I'm going to update the wiki to provide some this as an example of a time where

--overwrite

may appropriate, but please advise if you disagree.

Thanks for solving this issue, I was really hitting my head against the desk for a long time before I found this thread. Also, it's people like who've replied above are the direct cause for the low-adoption rate of Linux and notoriously toxic community it has. It's really sad and pathetic to see adults behave like small children bullying others on the playground instead of helping people who take time out of their day to at least try to ask for help before reverting to back to an OS that as sad as it is, mostly works, but at what cost? And they will continue to deny it forever and point at the 24521th line of the Wiki stating that you need a Masters Degree in Computer Sciences to even as much as to touch Arch Linux, a distro meant for only the highest of elites. I sadly can't recommend much, maybe try the EndeavourOS community next time, I've heard good things about them, and the distro is based on Arch so you will see the exact same issues there (as I did) (except the community doesn't behave like a cesspool of retards). That's my 5 cents.

Last edited by Tibix (2022-12-06 09:42:18)

#23 2022-12-06 09:55:59

V1del
Forum Moderator

And we are done here, take your trolling attempts somewhere else. You are free to disagree with our methods of providing help that we do in the hopes of fostering and encouraging learning, but resorting to ad-hominems because we provide links to a resource that will help you not have to ask this question again is completely out of line.

Closing.

Board footer