You are not logged in.

#1 2022-12-08 21:16:11

le_grande_castel

[SOLVED] Can't get to BIOS settings

Title. I messed with some settings in the BIOS. I turned off CSM support, Super Fast Boot on and no USB devices initialized during firmware. Now I cannot possibly get into BIOS settings. Monitor (on DP) didn't even initialize during boot, now it at least does on HDMI. The system boots just fine to the OS, it's just that I can't access the BIOS settings or boot order or anything. The command "systemctl reboot --firmware-setup" which I have seen on many posts simply reboots to the OS. I know I messed up, how do I reset BIOS settings? Or how else do I get to that screen? MB is Gigabyte Z390D, system is installed with UEFI.

Last edited by le_grande_castel (2022-12-10 06:53:51)

#2 2022-12-08 23:27:08

dakota

Re: [SOLVED] Can't get to BIOS settings

How did you access the BIOS before? (Usually there is a key or key combination that you need to press during the POST period.)

What type of computer is this?

Cheers,

Edit -- missed: "MB is Gigabyte Z390D, system is installed with UEFI." See ewaller's post, below.

Last edited by dakota (2022-12-09 00:23:07)

"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb

#3 2022-12-08 23:36:23

ewaller
Administrator

le_grande_castel wrote:

system is installed with UEFI.

That explains not being able to get to the BIOS menu tongue

Oh; you want to get to the uEFI setting menu big_smile

I think that system uses the 'DEL' key to enter the menu.  Hit it early and often.  Start tapping it before anything is displayed and keep tapping it.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2022-12-09 19:01:08

le_grande_castel

ewaller wrote:
le_grande_castel wrote:

system is installed with UEFI.

That explains not being able to get to the BIOS menu tongue

Oh; you want to get to the uEFI setting menu big_smile

I think that system uses the 'DEL' key to enter the menu.  Hit it early and often.  Start tapping it before anything is displayed and keep tapping it.

Yeah, sorry, I got this from my dad, he is old school and always calls it BIOS and I kinda picked it up from him.

Yup, 'Del' is BIOS (UEFI*) settings, and F12 is boot menu. However, the problem is exactly that: the keyboard and mouse no longer connect until the system boots, and it boots really fast. From the moment I press the power button, the screen and all other peripherials stay off, then at some point they turn on at roughly the same time, the screen is black, and before I know it the OS cursor already pops and I get to the desktop environment. I tried spamming it the very moment I press the power button, I tried even holding it, nothing works. I know I can technically just open it, remove and put the CMOS battery back again, but I was looking from a way to do it from the software/firmware, because I know there should be a way (and I was lazy to open it tbh hmm ).

Meanwhile I will try some methods invloving different timings for power button and power supply. I hope it works big_smile

#5 2022-12-09 19:11:48

cfr

efibootmgr might let you change the boot order to reboot into the firmware. Or you could (temporarily or otherwise) install a boot loader such as rEFInd to see if that lets you do it.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#6 2022-12-09 20:10:46

le_grande_castel

cfr wrote:

efibootmgr might let you change the boot order to reboot into the firmware. Or you could (temporarily or otherwise) install a boot loader such as rEFInd to see if that lets you do it.

I reset my BIOS with the CMOS jumper after all. I tried efibootmgr but there was no way. I simply reset the BIOS all together and done my settings again. Thanks! I will close this thread if I figure out how to do it (if I can even do it) big_smile

#7 2022-12-09 21:40:21

cfr

Edit your first post and change the title to close the thread.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

Board footer