You are not logged in.

#1 2022-12-16 22:01:08

Stonegrip

[SOLVED] System won't start after the post-instalation reboot

Hello,

I've purchased a new Origin PC laptop (i9, 64gb, Nvidia RTX 3080 with 2 empty non-RAID hard drives 1Tb each, no OS preinstalled) and decided to install Arch on the second drive (post installing Ubuntu on the first one, in case this detail helps).

I've created a booting USB by using the latest Arch ISO with Rufus. I had to do it twice, since the first time I selected NTFS files system, and it was not recognized during the installation, so I switched to FAT32.

I was using archinstall. The drive I selected during the installation was the second (empty) hard drive. I also selected GRUB instead of the default Systemd-boot. The window manager I selected was i3WM. Partitioning was left to the installer to use its best judgement.

There were multiple hiccups during the installation.

At first, it kicked me out of the archinstall while searching for additional packages I had selected, referring to some network connectivity problems. Interestingly, the connection was OK: I checked it right after the archinstall process failed and it was pinging just fine. Forgot to mention that I had used iwctl to connect to my WiFi before running archintall. After a couple more unsuccessful attempts, I switched to 5G network and the packages were added successfully to the installation build, and I clicked "install".

After a minute of successful "flight", the installation failed. I checked the installation log (see the screenshot down below), and the way I interpreted it the hard drive was not accessible by blkid, but please double-check, since I'm not positive.
Failed Installation Log

I decided that maybe rebooting the laptop would help, so I rebooted and re-launched the installation. It successfully finished and requested to reboot. I started rebooting it, after taking out the flash drive, and the boot menu did not identify the type of my operating system on the second drive (see the screenshot): it was identified as UEFI OS.
loading screen after reboot

I thought that's because I haven't booted into it yet, so I selected the drive and it did show me 3 booting options for Arch Linux: the standard one, the advanced one and the UEFI one for firmware update. I obviously selected the first option (standard Arch Linux), and the booting started normally, but right before it should have shown me a login screen (lightDM, if I'm not wrong), it showed a black screen with a piece of logs, created during the booting process (see the corresponding screenshot):
boot menu after archinstall

So now I wonder what to do next. Should I try to switch from GRUB to Systemd-boot and reinstall it again? Since the OS was not defined by the boot menu, it could be a potential issue, however Arch Linux booting options were provided as if it was a normal Arch booting process. Or maybe I should just run the installation with a wired Ethernet connection? What if that's the root cause? Or is there some specific command I should have written in Chroot after the installation to facilitate the booting process? This is my first Dual Boot arch linux installation. Before that I only installed and used Arch on virtual machines, so I might have skipped some essential steps. Please advise.

Overall, any comments/suggestions are highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Last edited by Stonegrip (2022-12-21 04:55:28)

#2 2022-12-16 23:08:37

murffatksig

Re: [SOLVED] System won't start after the post-instalation reboot

I had a strange problem this week trying to install using the 2022.12.01 ISOs. I wanted to install to /dev/sda, but after making my selections in archinstall, I kept getting errors related to reading /dev/sdb after partitioning the disk. (/dev/sdb was in the installation medium so *shrug*).   I even re-downloaded the ISO several times but no dice.

My solution was more of a workaround.  I downloaded the 2022.10.01 ISO and it worked the first try.  Go figure.

"Oh, they have the internet on computers now."

#3 2022-12-17 00:11:43

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

Moving to Guided Installer.

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#4 2022-12-17 04:32:06

cfr

Have you considered just following the Installation Guide?

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#5 2022-12-17 06:00:35

Stonegrip

@cfr: If you suggest doing a manual installation of Arch, I will surely try that eventually. I just want to understand if there's any issue or step I take or do not take, which will block the manual installation as well.

In the meanwhile, I created another bootable USB, but instead of Rufus on Windows I used Etcher on Ubuntu.

After that I tried to run archinstall twice, and both the times to no avail. It ended up with the following screen:
Failed archinstall screen

seems like it didn't even go further than partitioning.

Next time I will download an older version of Arch ISO and try again (as per Murffatksig's recommendation). If that attempt fails, will try to install Arch manually. Though it seems the issue is deeper than just a bug in archinstall code or ISO, and it is somehow related to my hard drive and/or the existing partitions on it.

Still looking forward to your suggestions.

OSS

#6 2022-12-17 07:06:15

Stonegrip

As a quick update, I've read an interesting thread here:
github discussion on the issue described in my previous post

In a nutshell, Arch changed its ISO booting process: it is firstly loading all the required data to RAM, and then boots up from there. So all you need to do to avoid the /deb/sda1 issue is to detach the USB flash drive before running archinstall.

However, the black screen issue is still there. Even though I managed to install arch, it still shows me a black screen after reboot. And it is still not defined in the boot menu as arch linux - just UEFI OS.

However, since I have another hard drive with Ubuntu installed, I ran lshw command on it, and I do see 2 separate hard drives with "linux" mentioned in the "vendor" category for both. So arch is installed on my second hard drive, but it is not loading up, nor is it identified as Arch linux in the boot menu. And, as I wrote before, once I select the second non-Ubuntu hard drive, which is tagged as UEFI OS, it boots up as arch linux, shows me an option to launch arch linux and advanced arch linux and UEFI firmware with a typical asterisk indicator, but when I choose a standard booting option (Arch Linux), it starts booting up, but then shows me a black screen that does not react to any hotclaps, so I have to hard-reset it.

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with archinstall. In my opinion, it's more of a dual boot / GRUB / general installation-related thread, but I would leave it to the moderators to decide. It just feels like the issue I'm facing has nothing to do with the installation process at this point.

Looking forward to your comments.

#7 2022-12-17 08:03:58

seth

it starts booting up, but then shows me a black screen

What is the last thing it shows before and can you boot the multi-user.target (2nd link below)?

Because of

Ubuntu installed … not defined in the boot menu as arch linux - just UEFI OS

I guess you've a grub installation w/ ubuntu?
=> Did you update [edit: the grub configuration] within ubuntu?
(Because it should™ hopefully! still be what manages grub)

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with archinstall.

You're still using to shove something™ preconfigured where you and most of us have no idea what it is onto your disk?

Last edited by seth (2022-12-17 08:04:25)

#8 2022-12-17 17:31:45

cfr

I suggested installing manually because then you know exactly what was done and have a better chance of figuring out the point of failure, if, indeed, the process still fails in some way. You don't have either such fine-grained control or as much understanding of your configuration when you use archinstall - both of which are useful when troubleshooting.

Probably what you want is for one of Ubuntu or Arch to manage grub, rather than trying to juggle two competing grubs.

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#9 2022-12-17 19:02:33

Stonegrip

@Seth: Thanks a lot for your willingness to help. Appreciate it.

Here is the last thing I see before the arch booting screen blacks out:
Last screen before black-out

I've updated Systemd default target to boot into multi-user.target (it used to be graphical.target).

I also turned off TOR and commented it off in .bashrc (I don't think it matters, but decided to mention all the changes).

And before rebooting, I decided to update my GRUB on Ubuntu by running "sudo update-grub". And here is the outcome:

$ sudo update-grub
[sudo] Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub'
Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub.d/init-select.cfg'
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.15.0-56-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.15.0-56-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.15.0-43-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.15.0-43-generic
Memtest86+ needs a 16-bit boot, that is not available on EFI, exiting
Warning: os-prober will not be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Systems on them will not be added to the GRUB boot configuration.
Check GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER documentation entry.
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings ...
done

I guess that's where the issue is, since GRUB sees neither Arch nor another hard drive where Arch is installed. But I haven't rebooted after changing the systemd target to multi-user.target, so will check it again later.

And in case it matters, here is the outcome of "efibootmgr -v":

BootCurrent: 0000
Timeout: 2 seconds
BootOrder: 0000,0003,0001,0002,0004,0005,0006
Boot0000* ubuntu	HD(1,GPT,d1c65527-7d39-48b4-8bcf-3dd945be2fa5,0x800,0x100000)/File(\EFI\UBUNTU\SHIMX64.EFI)
Boot0001* UEFI: PXE IPv4 Realtek PCIe 2.5GBE Family Controller	PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1c,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/MAC(b025aa4e777f,0)/IPv4(0.0.0.00.0.0.0,0,0)..BO
Boot0002* UEFI: PXE IPv6 Realtek PCIe 2.5GBE Family Controller	PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1c,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/MAC(b025aa4e777f,0)/IPv6([::]:<->[::]:,0,0)..BO
Boot0003* UEFI OS	HD(1,GPT,278513f3-c14b-4c58-bf60-7418eaeb8c22,0x800,0xff800)/File(\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI)..BO
Boot0004* UEFI:CD/DVD Drive	BBS(129,,0x0)
Boot0005* UEFI:Removable Device	BBS(130,,0x0)
Boot0006* UEFI:Network Device	BBS(131,,0x0)

Like I said before, my EFI bootloader does't recognize Arch. It defines it as UEFI OS HD. And I don't know how to change it. Probably, should ask this question on Ubuntu forum, though I doubt I'll get an answer there given the overall level of Ubuntu users and their eager to help.

Last edited by Stonegrip (2022-12-17 21:52:06)

#10 2022-12-17 19:29:36

Stonegrip

Ok, I rebooted with multi-user.target of Systemd, and... nothing positive. Even Ubuntu refused to start. Here is the screen I got before the reboot process was terminated and I was kicked to tty:
screen when booting failed

Interestingly, I tried rebooting several times with and without pressing the boot menu button, but every time I saw that screen (see the link above). So I couldn't even get through to the boot menu.

So, I had to switch back to graphical.target (see the list of commands below), after which Ubuntu kick-started normally.
tty commands to go back to graphical.target

I think, I need to do something with the bootloader (either GRUB or Systemd, or both) as the second hard drive with Arch linux on is not picked during the booting process.

Any ideas?

PS: I can try installing Arch manually, but something tells me that it's going to end up exactly the same way as my Grub doesn't see the second hard drive's OS.

#11 2022-12-17 19:57:17

cfr

Check GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER documentation entry.

This stops Ubuntu's grub finding your Arch installation. If you want to use Ubuntu's grub, you need to find where that is configured and change it so that os-prober is run when you run update-grub (I'm assuming ';apdate-grub' was a typo, but if it is really called that, obviously that instead).

There is zero reason why changing the default target in Arch would affect Ubuntu's ability to boot. Are you sure you changed the default target in Arch and not Ubuntu? I'd expect Ubuntu to boot, even so, but I don't know much about Ubuntu.

#12 2022-12-17 20:59:23

seth

From https://photos.app.goo.gl/8T6ADQz3qN14DUuY6 it looks almost as if he has *only* changed the default target for ubuntu.
But the other two screenshots also make very clear that the system does actually boot - this isn't a problem w/ the bootloader.

@Stonegrip, boot ubuntu and post the output of "lspci" (I suspect the problem to be the framebuffer selection on an optimus system)

Edit: oh, and please post the text. Not an image of the text.

Last edited by seth (2022-12-17 20:59:55)

#13 2022-12-17 21:41:56

Stonegrip

Seth wrote:

@Stonegrip, boot ubuntu and post the output of "lspci" (I suspect the problem to be the framebuffer selection on an optimus system)

Edit: oh, and please post the text. Not an image of the text.

Here it is:

$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 12th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 12th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x16 Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake Innovation Platform Framework Processor Participant (rev 02)
00:06.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 12th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x4 Controller #0 (rev 02)
00:06.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 12th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x4 Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:07.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P Thunderbolt 4 PCI Express Root Port #0 (rev 02)
00:08.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation 12th Gen Core Processor Gaussian & Neural Accelerator (rev 02)
00:0a.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Platform Monitoring Technology (rev 01)
00:0d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P Thunderbolt 4 USB Controller (rev 02)
00:0d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P Thunderbolt 4 NHI #0 (rev 02)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH USB 3.2 xHCI Host Controller (rev 01)
00:14.2 RAM memory: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH Shared SRAM (rev 01)
00:14.3 Network controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P PCH CNVi WiFi (rev 01)
00:15.0 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH Serial IO I2C Controller #0 (rev 01)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH HECI Controller (rev 01)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH-P PCI Express Root Port #9 (rev 01)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH eSPI Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH-P High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH-P SMBus Host Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.5 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P PCH SPI Controller (rev 01)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GA104M [GeForce RTX 3080 Mobile / Max-Q 8GB/16GB] (rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GA104 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
02:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd NVMe SSD Controller PM9A1/PM9A3/980PRO
03:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd NVMe SSD Controller PM9A1/PM9A3/980PRO
2e:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller (rev 05) 

#14 2022-12-17 22:03:22

Stonegrip

cfr wrote:

There is zero reason why changing the default target in Arch would affect Ubuntu's ability to boot. Are you sure you changed the default target in Arch and not Ubuntu? I'd expect Ubuntu to boot, even so, but I don't know much about Ubuntu.

I changed it in Ubuntu. I can't run any commands in Arch, since it's not loading up. I can probably reinstall Arch and change the Systemd default target in Chroot before I do the first reboot. But so far I have been installing Arch with Grub as a bootloader, not Systemd. Should I try Systemd? If so, what commands should I run in chroot after the installation?

#15 2022-12-18 08:34:33

seth

I changed it in Ubuntu.

Yeah, that's pointless.

probably reinstall Arch and change the Systemd default target in Chroot before

No need to re-install arch. You can just chroot from ubuntu or the isntall iso.

But first

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GA104M [GeForce RTX 3080 Mobile / Max-Q 8GB/16GB] (rev a1)

Try to move the i915 module into the initramfs, https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Kernel … _KMS_start
(via chroot, but also just adding "nomodeset" as kernel parameter might suffice)

#16 2022-12-18 20:52:34

Stonegrip

Thanks for keep helping me, Seth and cfr.

I've followed your advice and I've "arch-chroot"-ed into Arch and made the following changes:

1. I've added the i915 module into the initramfs by adding "kms" record into the HOOKS section of mkinitcpio.conf (as per the wiki link you shared).

2. I've added nvidia modules to the MODULES section of the same mkinitcpio.conf

3. I have also changed the default target from graphical to multi-user.

I'm not sure if I only needed to update the mkinitcpio config file to add i915 module to the initramfs, since as per the arch wiki the i915 module comes preistalled within the kms module. Could you please also check if i changed the mkinitcpio.conf correctly? Here it is:
updated mkinitcpio.conf

After unmounting and rebooting, the boot menue still showed me UEFI OS, instead of Arch, but as before once I selected it, it showed me a standard Arch linux booting page with 3 options: linux, linux advanced and UEFI firmware.

I selected the first one, and it was booting longer than before, but then it got stock. Here is the final screen I'm getting after making the aforementioned changes:
booting screen when the booting process stops

Once again, huge thanks for your help. Appreciate it enormously!

#17 2022-12-18 20:57:21

seth

2. I've added nvidia modules to the MODULES section of the same mkinitcpio.conf

No. The point was to give i915 a headstart.

Remove the kms hook and the nvidia modules and add i915 explicitly and only.
Afterwards you'll have to rebuild the initramfs (just editing the mkinitcpio.conf does absolutely nothing)

#18 2022-12-18 22:29:32

cfr

seth wrote:

Remove the kms hook and the nvidia modules and add i915 explicitly and only.

To do this do not follow the instructions for in-tree modules in the wiki instructions seth linked. Instead use

MODULES=(i915)

and remove kms from HOOKS. Then regenerate your initramfs as explained in https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Mkinit … activation.

#19 2022-12-19 03:36:12

Stonegrip

Thanks a lot, Seth and CFR.

I've changed the mkinitcpio.conf as per your guidance: deleted all the nvidia modules, captured i915 (now it's the only module stated in the corresponding section of mkinitcpio.conf) and deleted kms from HOOKS.

Then I've regenerated my initramfs by running

mkinitcpio -P

The resultant logs are provided in the screenshot below:
new initramfs generation log

After that I rebooted (I'm skipping umounting and exiting chroot, since it goes without saying), and the same screen as before.

I entered tty of Arch (I was able to get to tty from the screen where the booting process gets stuck), where I checked the /boot folder and saw the freshly generated initramfs-linux.img of 13Mb. I also checked the default target, and it is multi-user.

I guess, I've followed all the steps you recommended, unless I'm missing something. Please advise.

Would there be any other suggestions?

PS: thanks a ton for keep helping me.

#20 2022-12-19 04:37:37

seth

Please don't post images of text, post the text.

I entered tty of Arch (I was able to get to tty from the screen where the booting process gets stuck)

What?
If you can switch the TTY and login, the multi-user.target has actually booted (and the console uses a somewhat usable framebuffer) and I suspect the only thing that's currently failing is the graphical.target.

From there, post the journal of a former boot, eg.

sudo journalctl -b -2 | curl -F 'file=@-' 0x0.st

for two boots ago and also feel free to attempt to "systemctl start graphical.target"

#21 2022-12-19 23:09:38

Stonegrip

Ok, so I entered the TTY by pressing Ctrl+d, and... I could not connect to the internet: when I was trying "iwctl" command, the response was "waiting for IWD to start....." after which it didn't go anywhere. At the same time, I can see my network interface (wlan0) and I can set up its status.

I also tried to connect through Ethernet, but that was to no avail either. While trying to connect, the system froze, so I had to hard-reset.

After that I attempted "systemctl start graphical.target", and was redirected to a black screen.

After another reboot, I looked into the boot logs (journalctl -b), which is 1K+ rows long, but I can't share it here since there is no internet connection via TTY.

It feels like the TTY1 has lots of limitations.

Any suggestions on how I can connect to the internet from TTY?

Last edited by Stonegrip (2022-12-20 00:50:56)

#22 2022-12-20 03:03:47

cfr

Stonegrip wrote:

Ok, so I entered the TTY by pressing Ctrl+d, and...

Why would you do that? Does alt+f2 not get you a login prompt?

Stonegrip wrote:

I could not connect to the internet: when I was trying "iwctl" command, the response was "waiting for IWD to start....." after which it didn't go anywhere. At the same time, I can see my network interface (wlan0) and I can set up its status.

I also tried to connect through Ethernet, but that was to no avail either. While trying to connect, the system froze, so I had to hard-reset.

Any suggestions on how I can connect to the internet from TTY?

What do you usually start your network with? Internet would not usually be dependent on a GUI. Usually, it would be pulled in by multi-user.target - not graphical.target - so booting to the console shouldn't make any difference.

Stonegrip wrote:

It feels like the TTY1 has lots of limitations.

That's why they invented tty2.

#23 2022-12-20 05:20:06

Stonegrip

Thanks for the suggestions, cfr and Seth.

After pressing alt+f2, it did bring me to the login prompt of TTY2. However, TTY2 was no better than TTY1: I still couldn't connect to the internet. I spent a bit more time on connecting to inet this time: I have re-started IWD by

systemctl start iwd 

After that, I was able to run iwctl, I have seen my wifi interface (wlan0) in the devices list and was able to see my wifi SSID, I connected to it, and there was no error. Then I left the IWD mode, and... no pinging.

I ran nmcli, and it showed that wlan0 is disconnected. Though my network interface status is up. Go figure.

But there is a good news! I've managed to get the log-file of the last 2 boots. I have copied the journalctl to a txt file, which I saved in the /home directory, and then I rebooted to Ubuntu and got the file from there. Here is the link (special thanks to Seth for showing me 0x0.st):
Link to the last 2 boot logs

I hope if you look into it, you'll be able to decipher something useful. I reviewed it, but it is all Greek&Latin to me.

Looking forward to your help. Appreciate it a lot. Being supported by such guys like you makes me feel great. I have no clue what would I do, if I didn't have your support. Now I start seeing why Arch Linux community is so special.

Last edited by Stonegrip (2022-12-20 05:21:13)

#24 2022-12-20 08:38:17

seth

Dec 19 16:33:27 archlinux kernel: traps: Missing ENDBR: _nv012292rm+0x0/0x10 [nvidia]

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NVIDIA#Installation - blue note, "ibt=off"

Dec 19 16:52:53 archlinux systemd[1]: Reached target Graphical Interface.

I suspect that this is the only thing that really fails for you and the reason is some™ access of the nvidia chip.
Assuming ibt=off "fixes" it, also post your xorg log for a sanity check, https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Xorg#General

#25 2022-12-21 02:00:48

cfr

Did you check whether you had internet before trying to start it? Because unless you've done something particular, it's probably started with multi-user.target. Once you tell systemctl to start another internet service, you may well find it doesn't work.

Board footer