You are not logged in.

#1 2022-12-26 16:45:29

vejtics

SDDM marking correct password as incorrect (but only on lock screen)

I double checked that I am using the right keyboard layout, and I also double checked that the password itself is correct, but SDDM (again, only on lock screen, not login) acts as if I am entering a wrong password. When I click "switch user", I can enter just fine, even though it's still SDDM.

On any other prompt (sudo, CLI login, etc.), I can enter my password without issues.

The only setting I remember changing before that, was I changed the locale (in KDE Plasma system settings), but when I changed it back, SDDM kept doing this.

Thanks in advance.

#2 2022-12-26 16:50:55

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: SDDM marking correct password as incorrect (but only on lock screen)

#3 2022-12-26 17:39:57

vejtics

That doesn't seem to be the issue. I tried entering the password as if the keymap was us, and it still doesn't work. I also checked 00-keyboard.conf, and the layout is correct. I ran localectl just to make sure. Still nothing.

edit: and either way, doesn't SDDM use the KDE layouts instead of the system ones, when on lock screen and not login screen? At least it seems like it does.

Last edited by vejtics (2022-12-26 17:41:30)

#4 2022-12-26 18:01:56

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

The ArchWiki says SDDM uses X configuration for the keyboard. No idea myself, I just use Wayland these days.

A quick search brings up some possible leads:

https://www.reddit.com/r/voidlinux/comm … _accepted/

https://askubuntu.com/questions/909943/ … creen-sddm

No solid answers though. Does GDM provide a more reliable experience? It always seems to work better than SDDM for me but I don't use Plasma so that may be irrelevant.

#5 2022-12-26 18:41:05

vejtics

This (edit: the reddit post) makes sense, since I did mess with permissions in /usr (which I realized was a very bad idea for many reasons, this probably being one of them). I ran yay -S $(pacman -Qq) to reinstall all my packages, so if it's a permissions issue, hopefully this will fix it. I tried reinstalling SDDM alone first, to no avail.

I'll post an update here once everything is reinstalled.

Last edited by vejtics (2022-12-26 18:41:43)

#6 2022-12-26 18:54:40

vejtics

That was it. I probably didn't need to reinstall everything, just some relevant packages, but solved nevertheless.

#7 2022-12-26 20:11:35

ewaller
Administrator

vejtics wrote:

I ran yay -S $(pacman -Qq) to reinstall all my packages

*Facepalm*

So, every single package is now explicitly installed.  Not the end of the world, but it may complicate finding orphans in the future.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#8 2022-12-26 21:20:56

saronno

vejtics wrote:

I double checked that I am using the right keyboard layout, and I also double checked that the password itself is correct, but SDDM (again, only on lock screen, not login) acts as if I am entering a wrong password. When I click "switch user", I can enter just fine, even though it's still SDDM.

On any other prompt (sudo, CLI login, etc.), I can enter my password without issues.

The only setting I remember changing before that, was I changed the locale (in KDE Plasma system settings), but when I changed it back, SDDM kept doing this.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by saronno (2022-12-26 21:22:39)

#9 2022-12-27 13:46:14

vejtics

ewaller wrote:

So, every single package is now explicitly installed.

I should've run -Qqe instead, right? Asking for future reference.

Board footer