You are not logged in.

#1 2022-12-30 00:36:55

scarlettekk
Website

What to do when needing python packages that aren't in the repos

I'm trying to write a PKGBUILD for a python program that needs python 3.9; simple enough, just require python39 and use the corresponding binaries. However, how do I deal with required modules? For example, if I need wxPython, there's no corresponding Arch package since it's an old python version (and for some packages, one simply doesn't exist at all). I could have the PKGBUILD install the needed modules, but that feels icky since they aren't strictly the program that the package is supposed to install. What's the "correct" method of handling this sort of case?

"Safety third. Wait, what's first and second?"

#2 2022-12-30 00:41:58

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: What to do when needing python packages that aren't in the repos

The best thing to do is fix it so that it works with 3.10 (and 3.11). If it works with 3.9, it shouldn't take much.

#3 2022-12-30 00:48:54

scarlettekk
Website

Re: What to do when needing python packages that aren't in the repos

Scimmia wrote:

The best thing to do is fix it so that it works with 3.10 (and 3.11). If it works with 3.9, it shouldn't take much.

Hmm, yeah honestly that would be the best idea. I'll look into it. Some other package ideas I had used packages not in the repos even for python 3.10, is the path for that just to also make an AUR package for the modules (more work, but seems the most "clean")?

"Safety third. Wait, what's first and second?"

Board footer