You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-01 20:45:00

kayegui

Append the names to the pacstrap command?

Hello Friends!

In https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Installation_guide ,

section 2.2
Install essential packages

It says,

To install other packages or package groups, append the names to the pacstrap command above (space separated)

The "command above" is

pacstrap -K /mnt base linux linux-firmware

What exactly is the syntax?

For instance, if I want to install nano, would the syntax be

"pacstrap -K /mnt nano" ? (because I had already installed base, linux, and linux-firmware )

Thank you for your time!

#2 2023-01-01 21:01:59

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: Append the names to the pacstrap command?

You can, but I would suggest just installing things with pacman directly after you arch-chroot into the system.

#3 2023-01-01 21:12:22

TadaenSylvermane

I've installed my entire software set via the first pacstrap command. It works fine but I don't know if it's ideal. Best to do the minimum then do the rest in chroot as mentioned. I know I invariable find I forget at least one package in the pacstrap and have to do the chroot thing regularly.

#4 2023-01-01 22:45:17

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

The instructions are not suggesting running pacstrap more than once.  I've heard it argued that this, in fact, should be avoided as it "resets" some relevant data ... but I don't know the details of that and I've run it more than once myself in an install without any apparent harm.

But what the instructions suggest is running the command as specified, and appending and other packages.  The default command you quote properly, but you don't run another pacstrap command in addition to that, you run the following instead:

pacstrap -K /mnt base linux linux-firmware nano

Last edited by Trilby (2023-01-01 22:45:47)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer