You are not logged in.

#1 2022-12-01 14:39:48

benm

[SOLVED] Erratic Mouse Scrolling

Problem: Mouse scroll wheel behavior works but is erratic. It is common to scroll in the up direction and have the behavior be a darting a line down, then back up a line, then down again, then up and continuing up.
Frequency: Intermittent but will stay around once present for a while, persist between reboots, and unplugging and replugging the mouse does not fix it.
Environment: Arch with KDE plasma on X11.
Hardware: I had several wireless mice where this problem occurred, but I have switched to a wired mouse, Razer Deathadder Essential 2021. It required dkms for kernel support and I installed Polychromatic to customize settings on the mouse. Currently set to 1000 dpi with a 1000Hz poll rate. Changing the poll rate has no impact.

Solution:
While typing this forum post I recognized a few troubleshooting steps I had neglected to try, the most obvious being moving the mouse to another computer. When the problem followed the mouse, I realized it was likely a hardware issue. I found the amazon listing for the mouse and within the reviews there were complaints about the scroll bouncing behavior with one user reporting that it is a problem of dust ingress to the wheel and that an air blast (and even just blowing in the mouse wheel area with your mouth) can fix the scroll wheel. I did so, and it fixed my problem. I decided to go ahead and post this in the forums anyway in case it helps someone in the future who is searching.

#2 2023-01-07 22:29:33

function

Re: [SOLVED] Erratic Mouse Scrolling

Hi, I just registered in this forum to say thank you! That was the problem that has been bugging me for a few months now. So I can add the Mamba Elite to the list of affected devices.

BTW, since I also use Arch with X11, Plasma desktop and Polychromatic, I was a bit disappointed when I read the solution. It's just that I didn't even consider the mouse as the problem area.

#3 2023-01-07 23:42:48

benm

Re: [SOLVED] Erratic Mouse Scrolling

You may be interested in knowing that over time the blowing method needed to become more frequent to the point that it was near constant so I went ahead and initiated an RMA to return the mouse. I would recommend you consider doing the same as for me it got steadily worse.

Board footer