You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-13 15:06:49

rice7th

Failing to mount anything (even /boot)

Okay so, the other day i go to startup my PC and systemd complains about

/dev/zram0

timing out. I start up an Arch live USB, chroot into the system and realized an important detail:
When i first installed arch on my pc with Archinstall, i told it to create a separate home partition, and by doing that my root partition got restricted to 20Gb, which weren't enough for me, so I created a new partition of 40Gb and mounted just

/usr

there.
Apparently I've overwrote the Swap partition. Fine. With the live usb I create a new 8Gb swap parition and boot up the system, enter systemd emergency shell and `mkswap` the swap. Then I enter fstab and I specify the swap. Then I poweroff, and when I reopened it up I am greeted with:

Failed to mount /boot
Failed to mount /home
Failed to mount /home/media/commonhdd

Once in emergency shell, i see that the issue is that the kernel didn't load any fs modules, including, but not limited to: vfat, exfat, btrfs and ntfs.

Since it was getting late, i poweroff my pc so that the next day I could resolve the issue.

Well, today is that next day, and upon entering the emergency shell, the keyboard is not anymore recognised.

If you need any more info, just let me know.

#2 2023-01-13 15:08:40

rice7th

Re: Failing to mount anything (even /boot)

Also sorry for bad grammar and/or bad english in general but I am desperate and typing from a phone.

#3 2023-01-13 15:31:33

d.ALT

Let's start from gathering useful info, first.
Boot into ArchLinux's ISO and post here

# gdisk -l /dev/STORAGE_DEVICE
### eg.: # gdisk -l /dev/nvme0 ###

<49,17,III,I>    Fama di loro il mondo esser non lassa;
<50,17,III,I>    misericordia e giustizia li sdegna:
<51,17,III,I>    non ragioniam di lor, ma guarda e passa.

#4 2023-01-13 15:32:55

dimich

What is in /etc/fstab? What is actual filesystems layout (lsblk -af)? Error messages in journal? You can pass --root= parameter to journalctl from Live USB.

#5 2023-01-13 15:41:05

rice7th

Also, the actual error of mount was:

unknown filesystem type 'vfat'

I also tried to regenerate the initramfs but no luck. It only told me something about missing keyboard firmware which might be the reason why I cannot use my keyboard now

#6 2023-01-13 16:00:08

rice7th

d.ALT wrote:

Let's start from gathering useful info, first.
Boot into ArchLinux's ISO and post here

# gdisk -l /dev/STORAGE_DEVICE
### eg.: # gdisk -l /dev/nvme0 ###

Ok (sorry for image):

preview.redd.it/xee7cj6cjvba1.jpg?auto= … bd8060c39d

#7 2023-01-13 16:04:24

dimich

rice7th wrote:

I also tried to regenerate the initramfs but no luck. It only told me something about missing keyboard firmware which might be the reason why I cannot use my keyboard now

Did you try to regenerate initramfs before or after chroot?
Try to boot with Arch ISO, mount root partition, e.g. on /mnt. Then manually mount your boot partition to /mnt/boot, usr to /mnt/usr etc. After that arch-chroot to /mnt and run mkinitcpio.

#8 2023-01-13 16:14:30

rice7th

dimich wrote:

What is in /etc/fstab? What is actual filesystems layout (lsblk -af)? Error messages in journal? You can pass --root= parameter to journalctl from Live USB.

Journalctl says:

Failed to open files: Protocol not supported

My fstab looks like this: https://preview.redd.it/tyua0h9hmvba1.j … 21325df9e5

Again, sorry for image, but imgur forces you to install their app on mobile, and I don't want it, so enjoy reddi previews

#9 2023-01-13 16:22:40

rice7th

dimich wrote:
rice7th wrote:

Try to boot with Arch ISO, mount root partition, e.g. on /mnt. Then manually mount your boot partition to /mnt/boot, usr to /mnt/usr etc. After that arch-chroot to /mnt and run mkinitcpio.

Tried to mount /usr, but mount had problems, so ran fsck, and apparently that partition is corrupted

#10 2023-01-13 16:31:51

d.ALT

rice7th wrote:
dimich wrote:
rice7th wrote:

Tried to mount /usr, but mount had problems, so ran fsck, and apparently that partition is corrupted

Remeber to also have a look at: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Mkinit … _partition

<49,17,III,I>    Fama di loro il mondo esser non lassa;
<50,17,III,I>    misericordia e giustizia li sdegna:
<51,17,III,I>    non ragioniam di lor, ma guarda e passa.

#11 2023-01-13 16:38:59

seth

When i first installed arch on my pc with Archinstall, i told it to create a separate home partition, and by doing that my root partition got restricted to 20Gb, which weren't enough for me, so I created a new partition of 40Gb and mounted just

/usr
there.
Apparently I've overwrote the Swap partition. Fine. With the live usb I create a new 8Gb swap parition and boot up the system, enter systemd emergency shell and `mkswap` the swap. Then I enter fstab and I specify the swap.

https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/s … is-broken/
Also: did you wildly re-partition the drive w/o resizing the FS' ahead?
Do you have backups?

#12 2023-01-13 18:26:49

rice7th

seth wrote:

/usr
there.
Apparently I've overwrote the Swap partition. Fine. With the live usb I create a new 8Gb swap parition and boot up the system, enter systemd emergency shell and `mkswap` the swap. Then I enter fstab and I specify the swap.

https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/s … is-broken/
Also: did you wildly re-partition the drive w/o resizing the FS' ahead?
Do you have backups?

No, I don't have backups, though I did resize the FS with cfdisk

#13 2023-01-13 18:29:42

Slithery
Administrator

rice7th wrote:

though I did resize the FS with cfdisk

cfdisk doesn't resize the filesystem, only the partition. You've probably screwed your filesystem depending on the exact operation you performed.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#14 2023-01-13 20:19:33

rice7th

Slithery wrote:
rice7th wrote:

though I did resize the FS with cfdisk

cfdisk doesn't resize the filesystem, only the partition. You've probably screwed your filesystem depending on the exact operation you performed.

Holy I hope not. I resized one partition, the /usr one. Every other partition seems to be the exact same and they mount all fine, so I think only /usr and the new swap were affected.

Last edited by rice7th (2023-01-13 20:22:26)

#15 2023-01-13 20:40:37

seth

If you didn't use the swap the data on the ext4 /usr partition will not have been affected
From your explanation you should get a warning that the FS is bigger than the partition when attempting to mount nvme0n1p4 and properly re-growing the partition should remedy that and allow it to be booted.
You can always use a swapfile instead of a swap partition.

Also nb. that https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/s … is-broken/

#16 2023-01-13 22:54:42

rice7th

seth wrote:

If you didn't use the swap the data on the ext4 /usr partition will not have been affected
From your explanation you should get a warning that the FS is bigger than the partition when attempting to mount nvme0n1p4 and properly re-growing the partition should remedy that and allow it to be booted.
You can always use a swapfile instead of a swap partition.

Also nb. that https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/s … is-broken/

Yes, never used the swap since i never booted up lol.

BUT, i got a weird error and searched online and found out that to repair corrupted partitions you could use badblocks. Well apparently that erased /usr now so lets see what can I do

#17 2023-01-13 23:00:47

rice7th

OH WAIT i have a /usr backup thank god

Board footer