You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-16 11:10:38

inkwiwtba

releng works, baseline doesn't when building iso from archiso

good morning,

i'm building an image of arch using archiso. currently testing build in kvm. i want to boot uefi using the baseline image starting point, but i'm having trouble. i've built the image, and i'm at the point of booting. upon booting the image in kvm, it does the typical boot crawl in which services are started. it makes it to "Load/Save Random Seed" and rather than give me a login prompt, it says:

Welcome to your new installation of Arch Linux!

Please configure your system!

-- Press any key to proceed --

but it doesn't accept any keystrokes. the cursor, however, continues to blink. it doesn't seem to respond on the ip address i've manually assigned it through systemd. i think i've missed adding something to the image when i built it?

when building the image, i copy baseline from archiso/configs, add a hostname, move ssh keys, configure the sshd_config file, add a .bashrc to root, configure the nic, and add the packages arch-install-scripts, dosfstools, edk2-shell, memtest86+, parted, util-linux, vim, and wget, copy my own hosts file, copy a bunch of scripts into /usr/local/bin, then build the image using:

sudo mkarchiso -v -w ${tmp_dir}/work -o ${tmp_dir} ${tmp_dir}/baseline

can anyone tell me what i'm missing? also looking for criticism on glaring best-practice violations if my betters can see any. thanks in advance.

#2 2023-01-21 15:13:33

dacav

Re: releng works, baseline doesn't when building iso from archiso

I'm experimenting the same problem, with a bare-bone baseline.
A few weeks ago the same image was working, now I've rebuilt it and it doesn't work anymore, so I'm guessing it is some regression.

I'm trying to troubleshoot it, but the following failed so far:
1. updated my local copy of baseline -- only a trivial diff, definitely not related
2. Positioning a getty@tty1.service symlink pointing at /usr/lib/systemd/system/getty@.service.

I'll try more later and post here if I find out what's going on.

#3 2023-01-21 21:49:33

dacav

Hello.
I've mounted the produced image, grep'd for Please configure your system and figured out that the error message is produced by systemd-firstboot(1)

To get to a working boot, append the following command line to the kernel: systemd.firstboot=off.
The proper fix would be however to have the files needed by sytemd-firstboot installed in the image.

See: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Systemd-firstboot
See: https://man.archlinux.org/man/systemd-firstboot.1

Last edited by dacav (2023-01-21 21:50:12)

#4 2023-02-01 19:37:35

sxw

Hello,

dacav wrote:

To get to a working boot, append the following command line to the kernel: systemd.firstboot=off.
The proper fix would be however to have the files needed by sytemd-firstboot installed in the image.

that is actually a good find. Thank you for that one.

But what actually bugged me was that if I build a standard releng profile it works.

When I exchange the etc directory of baseline with the one in releng it works!

So I went through all files from the etc directories and it boils down to /etc/localtime. So you can cp -a it from the releng etc into the baseline etc and it should work.

Surprisingly something I do not find in the man pages. They are talking about if the etc dir is empty. Am I missing something?

Board footer