You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-13 15:39:16

amr962

[SOLVED (Not Arch related)] Are these temperatures normal?

Hello everyone!

So I got a new laptop with an AMD 6800hs processor, which is a huge leap to say the least from the previous i3-6006u. I couldn't help but notice that the fans kick up way more frequently on this one though, for example when watching something on twitch, which makes it easily reach 60C but then settle around 50C. For reference, the temps would rarely get over 60C in my old dell. I know this since I have the temperature always there in my status bar. Granted it has a much weaker CPU rated at 15W whereas this one 35W also in a smaller form factor.
Nonetheless, I ran this simple test to try and capture how its temperature spikes, I had also noticed one time when compiling it briefly reaching up to 90C.

[amr@lenovo ~]$ cpupower frequency-info 
analyzing CPU 0:
  driver: amd-pstate
  CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0
  CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0
  maximum transition latency: 20.0 us
  hardware limits: 400 MHz - 4.79 GHz
  available cpufreq governors: conservative ondemand userspace powersave performance schedutil
  current policy: frequency should be within 400 MHz and 4.79 GHz.
                  The governor "schedutil" may decide which speed to use
                  within this range.
  current CPU frequency: Unable to call hardware
  current CPU frequency: 400 MHz (asserted by call to kernel)
  boost state support:
    Supported: yes
    Active: yes
    AMD PSTATE Highest Performance: 166. Maximum Frequency: 4.79 GHz.
    AMD PSTATE Nominal Performance: 111. Nominal Frequency: 3.20 GHz.
    AMD PSTATE Lowest Non-linear Performance: 38. Lowest Non-linear Frequency: 1.09 GHz.
    AMD PSTATE Lowest Performance: 14. Lowest Frequency: 400 MHz.

[amr@lenovo ~]$ ./test.sh 
inital temp: +35.4°C
printing temp for next 20 secs:
stress: info: [189949] dispatching hogs: 16 cpu, 0 io, 0 vm, 0 hdd
+61.8°C
+74.5°C
+80.2°C
+83.4°C
+85.6°C
+86.1°C
+83.5°C
+81.9°C
stress: info: [189949] successful run completed in 10s
+77.8°C
+67.4°C
+60.6°C
+56.1°C
+53.2°C
+51.1°C
+49.8°C
+48.5°C
+47.6°C
+47.0°C
+46.4°C
+45.8°C

(took: 22s)
[amr@lenovo ~]$ vim test.sh 

[amr@lenovo ~]$ cat test.sh
function temp {
    sensors | awk '/Tctl/ {print $2}'
}

echo -n "inital temp: "
temp
stress -c 16 -t 10 &

echo "printing temp for next 20 secs:"
for i in {1..20}
do
    sleep 1
    temp
done

Is this considered normal by today's standards? It sure seems pretty toasty compared to my previous laptop smile

Last edited by amr962 (2023-02-04 00:48:44)

#2 2023-01-17 07:41:38

piperfw

Re: [SOLVED (Not Arch related)] Are these temperatures normal?

I'm not an expert but in general I would say the trend is towards higher clockspeeds and power draw. As you say, the 6800HS has over twice the TDP of the i3 (3.2 vs. 2 GHz base clock) in a smaller form factor, so the jump is hardly surprising.

Judging from posts on r/AMDhelp and amd.com the temperatures you observe are normal for that processor. Not saying that means it's ideal, but it's unlikely there is a particular issue with your hardware or software setup causing this.

#3 2023-01-17 12:29:41

amr962

I appreciate you for looking more into the matter for me smile I had not come across the thread you linked on amd's website, someone suggests lowering clockspeeds lowers the temperatures quite a bit, while not having that much of an impact on performance. I'll look into it, if I keep noticing the fan noise in simple tasks and if this dreadful 90C keeps popping up in my status bar big_smile

#4 2023-01-17 13:57:57

piperfw

That sounds like a reasonable way forward. Who knows, maybe you'll get more stable performance if it's throttling at high temps?

The other homebrew option is to elevate the laptop of your desk for better airflow (or reduce the ambient temperature) - I'm assuming you don't use the (90oC furnance) laptop on your actual lap!

Last edited by piperfw (2023-01-17 13:58:17)

#5 2023-02-04 00:47:44

amr962

For anyone coming across this thread in the future, what I ended up doing is using power-profiles-daemon together with ryzen-adj.

power-profiles-daemon sets BIOS power profile, which helps reducing temperature and power usage especially when a lot of cores are firing up all at one, problem is, it throttles too hard (in order to save power) when a certain amount of cores are under full load, which makes it perform significantly worse. Switching to balanced would just make it reach 95C and higher on full load (one time I saw a 100C). I got paranoid, so I installed Windows 11 and its drivers to test it out and it also reaches 99C there. Yikes.

So to be able to squeeze more power under full load but still keep the temperatures low, ryzen-adj comes in, with the --tctl-temp= option. I found it to work quiet well at keeping the temperature pinned to the given value (80), I'm still not sure how its doing what it does though and whether it conflicts with the power daemon. It doesn't seem to lose its effect after changing the daemon profile.

I had looked at setting governors and frequency limits using cpupower, but this poses a hard limit on clock speeds, even when it doesn't cause overheating. So limiting the temperature seems to be the optimal solution here, and a power-saver profile when I need it to be relatively quiet (its still louder than limiting clock speeds, but more convenient).

Board footer