You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-28 22:59:11

TheBluePineapple

[switched to LTS]Fresh Install freezing on reboot at login prompt

The last time I installed arch I did it manually and it worked fine, this time I thought it would be faster to use the archinstall script included in the iso.  I was using a slightly older ISO, because the 2023.01.01 wasn't working for me because it was freezing(just *before* reaching the login prompt), so I decided to use the iso I had downloaded from last time and it worked fine.  When the installation was finished I arch-chroot'd into the new installation and got everything up to date, added some packages, and then rebooted.  Everything went fine until the login prompt(no display server, just a plain tty), the cursor freezes and I have to hold down the power button to turn off, which I take to mean that it isn't a keyboard input issue, it's something getting hung up.  Yes, I've already tried switching which tty I use, but it's completely frozen.
I have linux-firmware/base/base-devel/efibootmgr installed(I saw someone else who didn't)

My problem is similar to what is described in this thread.  In fact, when checking my journalctl logs, I also have one of the same errors as the user in question.

Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/arch/boot/x86_64/vmlinuz-linux archisobasedir=arch archisolabel=ARCH_202208

The thread was different because it was freezing when X (which I don't have installed anyway) started.

From what I've been able to find, most people who have been having issues with freezing at the login prompt as I described had it start as of the switch to Linux 6.1.

This This thread seems to describe the same issue as well(except without the caveat of the bug occuring when X starts), the original poster also commented in this thread and seemed to beleive it was the same issue, neither thread has stated the issue to be resolved.  The user who posted in both threads also said the the ISO they used was also old, the response to which was that the new iso should work with secure boot on, which hadn't worked for me previously.  I don't like reposting an issue (please excuse the duplicate), but given that the other three threads are all open, unresolved, inactive and there is minimal connection between them despite appearing to be the same issue, I decided to post something that brings them all together, so we have the information from all of them rather than another thread that just describes the same problem without linking relevant open threads. 

Summary
  * Issue: Fresh Installation frozen at login prompt
  * Info
    * I have base packages installed
    * I have legacy support enabled
    * I have secure boot disabled
    * Can't just switch tty
    * everything works fine when I chroot into the installation
    * I've looked through the journalctl logs and nothing I saw had anything to do with this
    * I don't have a display server
    * Used an old iso, because newer one froze before I could even get to the shell prompt(Froze at the "Reached Target: Login Prompt")
    * not necessarily looking for fix for old iso freezing at login, would also accept a fix for new iso freezing before installation at the target mentioned in the last bullet point
  * Relevant Threads
    * https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=282379
    * https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 1#p2080571
    * https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 7#p2077667
    * https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=283101
    * https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=283050

I'll edit this post and add the journalctl logs later, though I beleive the only relevant error was the one shared with the other thread.

EDIT: For the time being I've switched to using the lts kernel, because the problem seems to be with version 6.1.1, it's not a problem with the guided installer

Last edited by TheBluePineapple (2023-02-06 20:16:09)

#2 2023-01-28 23:08:46

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [switched to LTS]Fresh Install freezing on reboot at login prompt

The only line you posted from the journal isn't an error - it's just information about what that journal log is for, and it indiciates that you are looking at the wrong journal.  That's from a journal log for the live usb system; you need the journal from your installed system (i.e., mount your partitions under /mnt, then get the journal from /mnt/var/log not /var/log).

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2023-01-28 23:32:12

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

TheBluePineapple wrote:

The last time I installed arch I did it manually and it worked fine, this time I thought it would be faster to use the archinstall script included in the iso.

Moving to the Guided Installer forum.

#4 2023-02-01 03:01:26

Stonegrip

I'm not an expert, but the symptoms look very much alike mine last installation, where I faced the NVIDIA drivers issue. The reason I think it's the case is the frozen screen while booting. Are you using NVIDIA video card by any chance?

If you do, please see my thread.

In the nutshell, I'd suggest you trying to append "ibt=off" to the kernel parameters in the boot loader. Read the aforementioned link for details. Please let me now if it's not clear and you need a step-by-step guidance.

#5 2023-02-01 07:17:41

seth

EDIT: For the time being I've switched to using the lts kernel, because the problem seems to be with version 6.1.1, it's not a problem with the guided installer

Please post your complete system journal for a boot w/ the 6.1.1 kernel: eg.

sudo journalctl -b -5 | curl -F 'file=@-' 0x0.st

for the journal from 5 boots ago.

#6 2023-02-06 20:15:34

TheBluePineapple

For the time being I've just rolled-back to the LTS kernel and it works great.

#7 2023-02-06 20:25:08

seth

Great. So all you have to do is to hope that the LTS kernel will never progress or the problem gets fixed by magic.
Otherwise you end in a situation where you've no functional kernel at all…

Board footer