You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-29 00:02:02

Laoceau

[SOLVED] Run command after logging back in

Hi, I'm using Xfce and lightdm slick greeter. For some reason, after switching users and logging back in, my brightness is reset to 100%. I'd like to execute a command (light -I) to restore my user's brightness after logging back in from the greeter. Where could I do this? Thanks!

Last edited by Laoceau (2023-01-29 18:41:28)

#2 2023-01-29 00:03:58

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Run command after logging back in

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2023-01-29 00:06:36

Laoceau

Thanks. I've been using that, but the commands only execute after logging in the first time, not after switching users and logging back in.

#4 2023-01-29 00:48:33

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Laoceau wrote:

Thanks. I've been using that, but the commands only execute after logging in the first time, not after switching users and logging back in.

So you aren't "logging back in", then. The brightness change is likely triggered by the other account.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2023-01-29 01:09:07

Laoceau

jasonwryan wrote:
Laoceau wrote:

So you aren't "logging back in", then. The brightness change is likely triggered by the other account.

Thanks. Maybe I wasn't clear. What I'm doing is switching users -- not logging out. Maybe forget about the backlight brightness, it wasn't the point of my question. I'm just looking for some place where a command can be triggered after authenticating back into my logged in account. The triggers provided by the Xfce settings do not apply in this scenario.

#6 2023-01-29 08:15:21

seth

That depends on what your screenlocker is and DE are - thus how you "switch users".
You're not actually "switching users" - your first session gets locked and another one gets started.
It's also gonna be relevant whether you want the action to hit when you unlock your first session or when you terminate the second one.

light-locker in particular doesn't offer to run commands on interaction, but you can sniff its communication and hook into that:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question … ock-unlock

#7 2023-01-29 18:40:14

Laoceau

seth wrote:

That depends on what your screenlocker is and DE are - thus how you "switch users".
You're not actually "switching users" - your first session gets locked and another one gets started.
It's also gonna be relevant whether you want the action to hit when you unlock your first session or when you terminate the second one.

light-locker in particular doesn't offer to run commands on interaction, but you can sniff its communication and hook into that:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question … ock-unlock

Thanks! That was exactly what I was looking for. Running this seems to work:

dbus-monitor --system "type='signal',path='/org/freedesktop/login1/user/_972',interface='org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties',member='PropertiesChanged'"  | grep --line-buffered "session" | while read line; do sleep 1; light -I; done

Board footer