You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-30 22:20:27

bravehurt

[SOLVED] Can't download packages w/ pacman: Maximum file size exceeded

When I try to install or update a package with pacman (or yay) it always returns the same error:

$ sudo pacman --debug -S discord
# omitted
:: Retrieving packages...                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
 discord-0.0.24-1-x86_64 downloading...                                                                                                                                                                                                       
debug: discord-0.0.24-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst: url is http://mirror.i3d.net/pub/archlinux/community/os/x86_64/discord-0.0.24-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst                                                                                                
debug: discord-0.0.24-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst: maxsize 60409900                                                                                                                                                                                  
debug: discord-0.0.24-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst: using time condition 1673712613                                                                                                                                                                   
debug: discord-0.0.24-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst: opened tempfile for download: /var/cache/pacman/pkg/discord-0.0.24-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst.part (wb)                                                                                                 
debug: discord-0.0.24-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst: curl returned result 0 from transfer                                                                                                                                                              
debug: discord-0.0.24-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst: response code 304                                                                                                                                                                                 
debug: discord-0.0.24-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst?nonce=MTY3NTExNTAzOA%3D%3D.sig: url is http://nlrtm1-edge1.cdn.i3d.net/o1/k9999/pub/archlinux/community/os/x86_64/discord-0.0.24-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst?nonce=MTY3NTExNTAzOA%3D%3D.sig               
debug: discord-0.0.24-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst?nonce=MTY3NTExNTAzOA%3D%3D.sig: maxsize 16384                                                                                                                                                      
debug: discord-0.0.24-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst?nonce=MTY3NTExNTAzOA%3D%3D.sig: opened tempfile for download: /var/cache/pacman/pkg/discord-0.0.24-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst?nonce=MTY3NTExNTAzOA%3D%3D.sig.part (wb)                                   
debug: discord-0.0.24-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst: file met time condition                                                                                                                                                                           
debug: discord-0.0.24-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst?nonce=MTY3NTExNTAzOA%3D%3D.sig: curl returned result 63 from transfer                                                                                                                              
error: failed retrieving file 'discord-0.0.24-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst?nonce=MTY3NTExNTAzOA%3D%3D.sig' from nlrtm1-edge1.cdn.i3d.net : Maximum file size exceeded

The response code is 304 here, when I clear the cache and try again the response code is 200, so I'm almost certain this isn't the issue. The rest of the debug logs are the same.

What I've tried so far:

• Updated the mirrorlist using https://archlinux.org/mirrorlist/ and running pacman -Syy with several different mirrors

• sudo pacman-key --refresh-keys

• Checked the available storage on my disks, but I have enough space left

But none of it worked obviously. I suspect it's either an issue with curl or the mirrors. Is there a way to check the mirrors listed in /etc/packman.d/mirrorlist ?

Last edited by bravehurt (2023-01-31 07:59:22)

#2 2023-01-30 22:59:07

Adriik

Re: [SOLVED] Can't download packages w/ pacman: Maximum file size exceeded

Is there a way to check the mirrors listed in /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist ?

https://archlinux.org/mirrors/status/

Pacman uses the first mirror in your mirrorlist, so, if the first mirror doesn't work, use the next one.

running pacman -Syy

Don't use the -Sy option without the -u, because if the package database is update, and then you install a package with -S, you probably have a partial upgrade.

Also, don't use the -yy, It's a waste of bandwith.

Last edited by Adriik (2023-01-31 12:35:59)

Solo soy un loco más. Please use [code] [/code] tags.
Command cheatsheetCommand not found?
If I write something wrong in English, please correct me.

#3 2023-01-31 00:52:11

Allan
Pacman
Website

Ugh...  that mirror is doing some weird redirect crap that is breaking pacman's attempt at downloading the signature file.  Instead the package is downloaded twice, and the size limit for signature files is hit.

Change mirror.

(you can do a -Syy after changing mirrors!)

#4 2023-01-31 01:29:07

Adriik

you can do a -Syy after changing mirrors!

Really? I didn't know that.
Honestly, I'm a little lost when one can use -Sy or -Syy

-- Time lapse reading the wiki --

Is still valid this thread? Specially Trilby's explanation
To understand how all this works.

#5 2023-01-31 07:58:35

bravehurt

Adriik wrote:

Is there a way to check the mirrors listed in /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist ?

https://archlinux.org/mirrors/status/

Pacman uses the first mirror in your mirrorlist, so, if the first mirror doesn't work, use the next one.

running pacman -Syy

Don't use the -Sy option without the -u, because if the package database is update, and then you install a package with -S, you probably have a partial upgrade.

Also, don't use the -yy, for two reason:

1. Trilby will appear and rage.

2. It's a waste of bandwith.

As far as I know it's okay to use -yy when you updated the mirrorlist, but not sure if -u is needed. I just wanted to refresh the mirrorlist and install 1 package to check and then update all other packages when it succeeded.

Allan wrote:

Ugh...  that mirror is doing some weird redirect crap that is breaking pacman's attempt at downloading the signature file.  Instead the package is downloaded twice, and the size limit for signature files is hit.

Change mirror.

(you can do a -Syy after changing mirrors!)

It was indeed an issue with the mirrors that I used, I tried a different one and now it works again. Thanks!

#6 2023-01-31 09:01:35

seth

Every time you pass "-Sy" you synced the package list.
You're now set up to conduct a partial update w/ the next "-S somepackage" - what can get you into trouble. Hence, unless you really really absolutely positively really know what you're doing, then next step after a "-Sy" should be "-Su" (or just "-Syu")

This is unrelated to the "-Sy" ./. "-Syy" question: -Syy syncs the package list no matter what, what
a) causes more traffic
b) allows for downgrades

So under normal circumstances -Syy has only downsides for everyone (traffic + syncing this way to an out of sync mirror can break your system), BUT:
If you've been using a trash mirror and are now changing to a good one, it ensures that you're getting rid of the possibly bogus package list of the bad mirror and get the packages in sync w/ the good mirror.
It's also required if you want to sync a historic package list for a complete downgrade, https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Arch_L … cific_date

tl;dr
normal business: -Syu
dedicated mirror change: -Syyu # whether for necessity or precaution, but *not* just because reflector may have juggled the mirrorlist
godless heresy: -Suy # the parameter order technically doesn't matter, but it's logical nonsense and if you use that, you're a creep
partial update: -Sy foo # if you need to read this: Don't. This is only gonna lead to a broken system and assholes on the forum telling to not conduct partial updates wink

#7 2023-01-31 12:28:03

Adriik

Thanks for the explanation.

And...

assholes on the forum telling to not conduct partial updates.

I don't know if I should interpret this as something good or bad. I mean, I read an insult and I feel insulted.

#8 2023-01-31 12:32:08

Awebb

Adriik wrote:

Thanks for the explanation.

And...

assholes on the forum telling to not conduct partial updates.

I don't know if I should interpret this as something good or bad. I mean, I read an insult and I feel insulted.

Try having English as your first language, it helps with understanding snark.

#9 2023-01-31 13:09:39

seth

The emoticon should have done, no?

@Adriik, feel free to search the forum how many times I've spouted that mantra now - like any other forum regular…
You're new, but already seem to have picked up the basics. So with some effort and dedication I foresee, that one day you too can become an asshole tongue
(Now google for the "we're all assholes" meme and watch that movie. Leagues better than Disneys parody of the franchise)

#10 2023-01-31 14:01:36

d.ALT

seth wrote:

dedicated mirror change: -Syyu # whether for necessity or precaution, but *not* just because reflector may have juggled the mirrorlist

I changed mirros, what? Three times in my Arch's life? Anyway... When I changed 'em, I always went for -Syu. Have I always been lucky all this time?

<49,17,III,I>    Fama di loro il mondo esser non lassa;
<50,17,III,I>    misericordia e giustizia li sdegna:
<51,17,III,I>    non ragioniam di lor, ma guarda e passa.

#11 2023-01-31 14:06:55

seth

If you move from sane, up-to-date mirror A to sane, up-to-date mirror B for performance reasons (like reflector does perhaps every time you run it) there's no need to override the package database.
It's really just to fix mess left behind by the previous mirror or enforce downgrades.

#12 2023-01-31 14:24:02

d.ALT

seth wrote:

from sane, up-to-date mirror A to sane, up-to-date mirror B

Yes

seth wrote:

performance reasons

Yes

<49,17,III,I>    Fama di loro il mondo esser non lassa;
<50,17,III,I>    misericordia e giustizia li sdegna:
<51,17,III,I>    non ragioniam di lor, ma guarda e passa.

Board footer