You are not logged in.

#1 2023-02-02 04:27:56

dfsbbl

AMD laptop CPU throttles for unknown reason

I use HP Elitebook 845 G9 with the AMD R7 6850HS CPU configuration. Today when I was running a video transcoding task I noticed that the CPU frequency is quite low, all CPU cores staying at about 2200MHz. After the transcoding task I used s-tui to stress test the CPU with 16 sqrt() tasks, but the CPU frequency is still the same although utilization is 100%. The temperature from s-tui is only at most 72 degree Celsius, which should not trigger thermal throttling, and I clearly remembered that when I stress tested the computer at early January all the cores can stay at about 3.2GHz stably. The only hardware change I have made is changing my WiFi card from a not well-supported Qualcomm card to Intel AX210, which I think should not interfere with CPU's throttling. What could be the problem, and how can I control throttling threshold? On my old Intel laptop I used https://github.com/erpalma/throttled to override throttling policy and I wonder if there are similar programs for AMD CPUs.

Edit: after further observation, I noticed that the temp sensor that goes to about 72 degrees is the Tctl sensor, which is a special sensor for AMD CPUs that is about 20 degrees higher than actual die temperature. Also, the CPU frequency first goes to more than 3.5GHz for a very short time (less than 5 seconds), and then drops to about 2.2GHz before temperature even starts to go up, so thermal throttling should not be the reason. What could be other factors that limit highest CPU frequency? Could it be that some systemd services have done that?

Last edited by dfsbbl (2023-02-02 15:13:45)

Board footer