You are not logged in.

#1 2022-12-04 20:46:03

Kepis

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro (AMD) 16AHC6 hidden bios

According to the 14" model's Arch page that laptop does have a hidden/advanced bios options allowing it to enable S3 sleep and more.
Someone found that when pressing Fn+R,Fn+N and then booting the system power button blinks 10 times and then boots like normal. Is there something hidden behing this that anyone knows about that would enable acces to the advanced bios in this model?
Currently

/sys/power/mem_sleep

says s2idle which isn't ideal.

Last edited by Kepis (2022-12-04 20:47:21)

#2 2022-12-11 12:07:14

Kepis

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro (AMD) 16AHC6 hidden bios

I stumbled upon this article but couldn't compile the .dsl back, which is weird, considering the same tool decompiled the program but couldn't use the same code to compile it back again.

#3 2022-12-12 12:40:00

Lone_Wolf

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#4 2023-01-30 10:05:42

snowskin

I own the same laptop. The FN + R key combo is related to the bios recovery (AKA "Crisis") mode in case you brick your bios.
Yes, the wiki does say so, but Lenovo has completely removed their advanced settings menu in the newer versions of the bios.
I have tried downgrading, which also bricked my laptop once because of a faulty bios they have published.

However, now I have found a way to enable S3.
It's hacky so do it at your own risk. Although, I already took the risk for you and tried it myself smile
I am on bios version 33 which I think is the latest.
If running windows as dual boot it needs to be reinstalled after changing sleep modes, because it breaks it's sleep.

Follow the instructions here to create a bootable USB stick:
https://github.com/DavidS95/Smokeless_UMAF

1 Disable secure boot
2. Boot into the USB
3. Once booted select Device manager -> AMD PBS -> Change modern standby to S3 Enabled
4. Press ESC
5. Press "Y" to save
6. Go back to the main menu and press continue.
Done.

Also, no matter how tempting a lot of the settings are I don't recommend doing anything else there, unless you know how to recover your bios in case of brick.

Now this is where I ask for your help:
It looks like it succeeded, because windows shits itself, however I'm not sure how to enable it on linux because of my inexperience.
Because "cat /sys/power/mem_sleep" still shows s2idle for me on Fedora.

EDIT:
Well after further research it looks like it did not work? I guess even the S3 setting on the bios isn't working. Thanks Lenovo. I wonder if the wiki authors can confirm the setting is working.
This is confusing to me because there's no reason why Windows sleep would break then lol.
Hope you can try it yourself, because this is very annoying. Ill try patching the DSDT later. Dmesg returns only s0 s4 s5 support even after enabling S3...

Last edited by snowskin (2023-01-30 11:55:12)

#5 2023-02-02 22:12:18

snowskin

Hi,

Yes, I couldn't get the DSDT to recompile either because of syntax errors, although there were none.
However I found this which worked perfectly:
https://byronlathi.com/general/2022/02/ … state.html
I'm still wondering why enabling S3 in the bios didn't work though, but that's a mystery to solve for another day.

Good luck!

#6 2023-02-03 19:00:48

student975

snowskin wrote:

Hi,

Yes, I couldn't get the DSDT to recompile either because of syntax errors, although there were none.
However I found this which worked perfectly:
https://byronlathi.com/general/2022/02/ … state.html
I'm still wondering why enabling S3 in the bios didn't work though, but that's a mystery to solve for another day.

Good luck!

Hi! I have got exactly this model. At the moment officially possible s2idle is in use. It takes about 0.5-0.6% of battery per hour. What are your measurements?

P.S. I don't know is this result good or bad as far as have not got experience in different notebooks using yet.

"I exist" is the best myth I know..

#7 2023-02-04 19:12:33

snowskin

student975 wrote:

Hi! I have got exactly this model. At the moment officially possible s2idle is in use. It takes about 0.5-0.6% of battery per hour. What are your measurements?

P.S. I don't know is this result good or bad as far as have not got experience in different notebooks using yet.

I don't have any measurements yet. I will leave it overnight and then tell you. My laptop used to freeze sometimes after suspend, but with S3 it doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Also, a little off topic - but does your cpu go above C3 state on this laptop? Because powertop reports C3 as max state, which isn't ideal and there's more power savings to be had. Although it was also the same on windows, so I'm not really sure.

#8 2023-02-04 22:13:02

student975

snowskin wrote:

does your cpu go above C3 state on this laptop? Because powertop reports C3 as max state, which isn't ideal and there's more power savings to be had. Although it was also the same on windows, so I'm not really sure.

For my notebook powertop shows C3 as the last state it is aware about. Not sure how to determine max Cx state for the CPU.

#9 2023-02-05 08:41:21

snowskin

student975 wrote:

For my notebook powertop shows C3 as the last state it is aware about. Not sure how to determine max Cx state for the CPU.

Okay same with me then. Over 12 hours I have measured a 4% drop, so about 0.3% an hour. Looks like s2idle works just as well as S3.

#10 2023-02-05 09:42:41

student975

snowskin wrote:

Over 12 hours I have measured a 4% drop, so about 0.3% an hour. Looks like s2idle works just as well as S3.

I would say S3 is still better (12 hours 4% vs 9 housrs 5%), but the difference isn't big enough to overcome stock constraints. Thanks for sharing.

Board footer