You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-14 13:57:44

Snarkout

Duplicates: better re-categorization of forums? [split]

Any chance you might consolodate the forums some?  I think a large part of the reason people cross-post is because some of the forums receive very little attention, and it's kind of harsh when somone even says in their post "Uh, I posted this question here a week ago, and no on has answered and 3 people have read it, so I'm posting it here." to lock/delete the new post rather than the unanswered original.

TBH, I often have no idea where to post a question (and certainly no idea what the diff between a desktop and a workstation is) so I end up posting in "newbie" even if the issue was the result of a pacman upgrade or is, perhaps, a kernel issue.  Personally, I think you could probably get rid of about a third of the choices to make things less confusing, and probably have fewer crossposting-type issues.  It would certainly make browsing the forums easier.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

#2 2006-11-14 16:03:34

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: Duplicates: better re-categorization of forums? [split]

I confess I haven't seen many delayed cross-postings (ie: posting a new topic because an old one wasn't answered). I did see it once, and in that case, I locked the original thread, not the new one, since the new one *was* in the correct place. Otherwise I'd have had to move it, and that's just more work.

most cross posting is by people posting two too places at the same time. I suppose reducing the confusion of different forums would reduce this type of cross post too.

The discussion of modifying tho forum layout has come up many times before. I am generally in agreement with the sentiment that the number of forums should be reduced, or that overlapping categories should be removed. The desktop environments/workstation user one is somethnig that's always confused me. However, after much discussion, we always decide to leave them that way. Usually what happens after these suggestions come up is that we attempt to modify the forum descriptions to be clearer.

I'll put forum structure on my todo list, I've got a lot on my plate right now though.

Dusty

#3 2006-11-14 19:57:44

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Cross-posting is, in 90% of cases, due to a lack of forum etiquette and experience.  People will normally find and read your post regardless of where you post it.  They'll give an answer if they know and if they don't they won't.  If no-one is reading your posts it's probably not where it is but what you called it that is the problem.  And, let's face it, if you cross post with different a new version, with different words and on a different day and your question gets answered it's hardly cross-posting.

In short: cross posting is due to ignorance about how forums work, not misunderstanding about categories.

#4 2006-11-14 21:25:55

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

why did you post it on this thread?

Desktop Environments -> any DE's ie openbox, fluxbox, kde, gnome, etc.
Workstation User -> any issue's dealing with or related to a workstion machine ie "I can't get OpenOffice to work" or "How do I create a usergroup for so and so?"

I'm not seeing the confusion. We recently re-categorized a few forums to be a little more clear to users. We spent hours hand moving posts to them.
As Dibble said, most often its the fault of users lacking forum etiquette. Not a whole lot we can do about it.

#5 2006-11-14 21:36:09

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

This thread has been pretty active lately; I've deleted several of the "addressed" issues here.

Dusty

#6 2006-11-14 21:45:21

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

split from "Report spam, violations, duplicates, etc"

#7 2006-11-15 03:11:39

Snarkout

Fair enough.  I didn't mean to thread crap - I was just making a suggestion.  Obviously in the wrong place.  Sorry.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

#8 2006-11-15 10:08:20

foxbunny
Website

Snarkout wrote:

Fair enough.  I didn't mean to thread crap - I was just making a suggestion.  Obviously in the wrong place.  Sorry.

I believe that the argument was that since you found the right place for this topic, it is probably not a problem of recategorizing the forums, but something entirely different:

T-Dawg wrote:

why did you post it on this thread?

T-Dawg wrote:

I'm not seeing the confusion.

Board footer