You are not logged in.

#1 2023-02-08 11:31:34

yahikodark

Laptop wont shutdown (sometimes)

I've been facing this issue since ~2 months. I am using Arch with gnome, with linux kernel.

Sometimes my laptop (Acer Aspire E 15 E5-576G-5762), after I power it off, from gnome's top bar or from the application menu's Power Off, everything seems to go fine.
But after the shutdown is complete and screen goes blank, the power indicator led is still on. I can hear the fan spinning too.
Nothing is responsive, the screen, mouse, keyboard do not respond to any key presses. Only thing I can do is press and hold the power button for sometime to hard shut down the laptop.

But this only happens sometimes, 7-8 times out of 10, the laptop turns off fine.

I have turned on the boot messages, and when shutdown is successful or unsuccessful, the boot messages dont seem any different.

Please someone guide me how could I solve this issue.

#2 2023-02-08 13:03:48

d.ALT

Re: Laptop wont shutdown (sometimes)

Post here complete journalctl of one of the failed-to-shutdown session(s).

From now till next non-shutdown, when you'll want to shutdown your laptop go this way:

1. Terminate (aka LogOff) GNOME's Session

2. Switch into TTY

3. LogIn as root

4. # poweroff --verbose

<49,17,III,I>    Fama di loro il mondo esser non lassa;
<50,17,III,I>    misericordia e giustizia li sdegna:
<51,17,III,I>    non ragioniam di lor, ma guarda e passa.

#3 2023-02-10 17:15:33

yahikodark

I've been doing what you said, but without the --verbose option as it doesn't work (on my system?), poweroff --help doesn't show such option.

The not shutting down thing just happened, I turned off the laptop by long pressing the power button, turned laptop again, and here is the journalctl of last boot https://pastebin.pl/view/raw/8fc85330

#4 2023-02-14 10:28:06

d.ALT

Always make sure tu perform FULL upgrades, always:

# pcaman -Syu

Don't know if it's related or not, but please fix your nVIDIA drivers:

Feb 10 22:42:58 acer kernel: NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 525.89.02, but
                             NVRM: this kernel module has the version 525.85.05.  Please
                             NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
                             NVRM: components have the same version.

Also, what if you try completely disabling the Intel iGPU (from within UEFi Settings if possible) and force blocklisting its i915 module?

<49,17,III,I>    Fama di loro il mondo esser non lassa;
<50,17,III,I>    misericordia e giustizia li sdegna:
<51,17,III,I>    non ragioniam di lor, ma guarda e passa.

#5 2023-02-14 15:39:06

azzd0531

Try adding kernel parameter “nowatchdog” (edit the /etc/default/grub file if you are using grub) ? My laptop had this problem when I installed arch a week ago and the problem was solved after I tried this method. It seemed like some process like modprobe on my computer just refused to stop and if u used watchdog it will just try to wait for them to stop.

#6 2023-03-07 09:47:49

yahikodark

Reporting back after adding kernel parameter nowatchdog for a few days. The issue is not resolved, my laptop didn't shutdown yesterday when I tried to shut it down.

d.ALT wrote:

Always make sure tu perform FULL upgrades, always:

# pcaman -Syu

Don't know if it's related or not, but please fix your nVIDIA drivers:

Feb 10 22:42:58 acer kernel: NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 525.89.02, but
                             NVRM: this kernel module has the version 525.85.05.  Please
                             NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
                             NVRM: components have the same version.

Also, what if you try completely disabling the Intel iGPU (from within UEFi Settings if possible) and force blocklisting its i915 module?

Also about this, I do always perform FULL upgrades, I think this just happens after nvidia drivers update and I havent rebooted the laptop yet.

Last edited by yahikodark (2023-03-07 09:50:06)

Board footer