You are not logged in.

#1 2023-02-19 09:12:24

Obistron

KDE - Desktop without any icon

Hi guys, few days ago I updated the system as usual.  After the update I restarted the system, after restarting all the icons from my desktop are gone.  If I check in "explorer" my files are still there, but they don't show up on the desktop.  Can you tell me if it's a bug or a problem with my pc?  Can I fix it somehow?
Kernel: 6.1.12-arch1-1
DE: KDE Plasma 5.27 (The problem started appearing from version 5.26.5)
Screenshot: https://ibb.co/3R7ZZ8Q

If I go to settings (Right click on Desktop -> Configure Desktop and Wallpaper -> Location) it is set to Desktop.
If I change it to custom location: Desktop, it shows my files and folders but i cannot open folders (If it is not clear I can make a video).

#2 2023-02-19 14:27:05

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: KDE - Desktop without any icon

Could be bugs with the cache or broken plasma config, the first should get fixed with a

kbuildsycoca5 --noincremental

and restarting, the latter by checking/removing ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc

#3 2023-02-19 19:37:21

Obistron

It worked!, thank you very much.  May I know how did you arrive at the solution?

Last edited by Obistron (2023-02-19 19:55:01)

#4 2023-02-21 14:12:28

V1del
Forum Moderator

Which the first or the second or both? The first one is somewhat "common" of a troubleshooting step it can/will mostly happen if a KDE update and a graphics driver/mesa update coincided. since the KDE update and the graphics driver update mandate that caches for shaders and icons and the like need to be rebuilt there are sometimes situations where this cache isn't properly updated and running the kbuildsycoca command can be used to rebuild all of it in one go. The second one is that the file in question can sometimes get corrupted/grow large (... possibly also due to multiple versions and potential conflicts in the transition logic) and this most recently triggered an issue with the glibc 2.37 rebuild. So if that file did contain corruption or large garbage data the easiest is to reset it so it gets rebuilt with defaults (caveat being that this would reset your panel/desktop configuration to defaults)

Board footer