You are not logged in.

#1 2023-02-24 09:13:41

archisominimalist

I'd like to surround myself with like-minded people.

I'd like to contribute after understand what is actually needed, where GNU is heading without arguing or exchanging opinions.
Because, like Socrates said: I neither know nor think I know. Or as it's taught in school: I know that I know nothing.

Arch is my distro of choice because it's the only one that offers almost everything but what is the most important is the no-bullshit-mindset of the maintainers.
As someone who's just discovering this world, the arch community feels already upstream, but common most of the questions here are so basic, including mine.

How does one surround himself with people with higher IQ online, just to observe and learn.
From what I see the internet gets more and more bloated with people spamming their surface knowledge in discord, telegram, youtube, it's all more social media than actual source of knowledge.
Are there groups worth joining with the same no-bullshit-mindset of people like yourself, an IRC, RSS, I don't know the names but hopefully some kind soul can show me the way.

Last edited by archisominimalist (2023-02-24 09:15:27)

Thanks to everybody that is contributing to make open-source software possible.
Apparently I still manage to offend people, even while trying to be as empathic as possible and search/try to learn before posting.
I love y'all.

#2 2023-02-24 16:13:18

ewaller
Administrator

Re: I'd like to surround myself with like-minded people.

Actually, the quotes about Socrates are attributable to Plato and his accounts of his interactions with Socrates.  IIRC, Socrates is not asserted to have made such statements, but are rather a summary of his beliefs sometimes attributed to him.

You are welcome in these forums, and I assert they are a reasonable place to achieve your objectives -- although I cannot speak to the "IQ" of members of these forums or what "IQ" truly measures.
As to your concerns about spam and bloat, perhaps you could review your posts on these forums with a bit of introspection.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2023-02-25 03:08:53

archisominimalist

most of the questions here are so basic, including mine.

Apparently I still manage to offend people, even while trying to be as empathic as possible and search/try to learn before posting.
I love y'all.

#4 2023-02-25 03:19:17

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Surrounding oneself with like-minded people is over-rated.  Though I like to surround myself with minded people, whether they be like- or unlike-, often more can be learned from the latter.  And to the extent you might disagree with me on that: welcome, glad to have you!

On quoting Socrates, he is effectively a fictional character.  So it is as valid to quote Socrates as it is to quote Captain Kirk, Darth Vader, or Jesus (imagining the three together in one room is quite entertaining too).

Last edited by Trilby (2023-02-25 03:27:59)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2023-02-25 04:05:28

archisominimalist

I appreciate your posts guys.

I prefer to learn at my own speed, reading and learning-by-doing, there's a limit however, you've experienced that yourself, learning from others in RL, someone showing you stuff?
All I'm asking, if you would give an advice on where to start searching beyond the arch wiki / how stay close to people that are more knowledgeable, skilled, busy ?

I love y'all.

#6 2023-02-25 04:30:08

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

archisominimalist wrote:

All I'm asking, if you would give an advice on where to start searching beyond the arch wiki / how stay close to people that are more knowledgeable, skilled, busy ?

Read books. Particularly older Unix texts by Kernighan, Ritchie, ESR and the like.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#7 2023-02-25 15:18:56

Roken

How does one surround himself with people with higher IQ online, just to observe and learn.

I have a tested and verified IQ of 148. It means that I'm good at IQ tests, and nothing more. I can teach you how to be good at IQ tests, if you want. (Tip - buy puzzle books, and do lots of puzzles - practice makes perfect).

Ryzen 5900X 12 core/24 thread - RTX 3090 FE 24 Gb, Asus Prime B450 Plus, 32Gb Corsair DDR4, Cooler Master N300 chassis, 5 HD (1 NvME PCI, 4SSD) + 1 x optical.
Linux user #545703

#8 2023-02-25 16:24:51

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

And strictly speaking, the easiest way to be surrounded by people with higher IQs is to have a very low IQ yourself.  But I don't think that's a goal one should set.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#9 2023-02-25 16:50:56

schard
Forum Moderator
Website

The title of this thread basically translates to "How can I create a filter bubble"? I always found it beneficial to surround myself also with differently-minded people. It can open your eyes and mind to new perspectives and ideas.

#10 2023-02-25 23:55:44

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Remember kids, IQ tests are meant to be standardized such that the mean score is 100, with a standard deviation of 15. That means, scores below 70 and above 130 are greater than two standard deviations from the mean, meaning that your score is an outlier (and not well-explained by any information the test is trying to capture).

Don't take IQ tests seriously; it's not good for your health.

All the best,

-HG

#11 2023-02-26 12:15:28

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

archisominimalist wrote:

I prefer to learn at my own speed, reading and learning-by-doing, there's a limit however, you've experienced that yourself, learning from others in RL, someone showing you stuff?

I will (try to) make no assumptions about your age and experience, if you are interested then I perhaps do have some insight into your thought patterns/background and how they are relevant to what and how you are asking.

But to your specific question here - you need to define much better what domain you are looking at. The only thing close to a domain you have mentioned is 'GNU', which... isn't really a domain in any useful form. Do you want to engage with people who are knowledgeable and skilled in networking, in sysadmin, in data management, what exactly? Choose your rabbit hole, and once you have, you should then engage with people from those domains in the normal tools of the open source world (issue trackers, mailing lists, IRCs etc).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#12 2023-02-26 13:20:20

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I thought about the ill-defined "where GNU is heading" point to - and just assumed it meant the FOSS / Linux ecosystem in general.

If I were to take it literally, my response - as touched on my my forum signature - would be: to hell in a handbasket, for all I care tongue

Last edited by Trilby (2023-02-26 13:20:31)

Board footer