You are not logged in.

#1 2023-03-02 05:30:11

Blake227

Is it possible to install Arch with all packages from a specific date?

I'm planning to install Arch Linux with kernel version 5.15. However, I noticed that Arch has recently updated its linux-lts kernel to version 6.1. After doing some search, I found that I can use Arch Linux Archive mirror to downgrade all packages to a specific point in time according to ArchWiki.

I'm wondering if using the Arch Linux Archive mirror during the installation process could cause any issues or complications. Can you please advise me on whether this is a safe and reliable method for installing Arch Linux with the desired kernel version? Thank you in advanced.

#2 2023-03-02 05:33:20

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Is it possible to install Arch with all packages from a specific date?

Why would you want to install a rolling release pinned to an arbitrary date in the past? That is what Ubuntu is for.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2023-03-02 05:40:49

Blake227

jasonwryan wrote:

Why would you want to install a rolling release pinned to an arbitrary date in the past? That is what Ubuntu is for.

Because there are some tools I need to use that are not currently compatible with kernel version 6.1. However, they do work with kernel version 5.15.

#4 2023-03-02 06:02:41

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Use another distro, or run them in a VM. If you aren;t going to update your entire system regularly, a rolling release is the wrong tool for the job.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2023-03-02 06:03:40

mpan
Website

If you are installing using the guide, not archinstall, there should be no issues. Hypothetically some tools might have changed and the instructions may not work for them, but probably not so much that you couldn’t deal with it.

However, running an outdated system or, worse, having it exposed to network is asking for trouble. So be sure to not use this installation for anything important and only offline. You may setup such a separate Arch in a virtual machine, if needed. Absolutely not suitable as the primary system.

Sometimes I seem a bit harsh — don’t get offended too easily!

#6 2023-03-02 09:15:08

Lone_Wolf

Blake227 wrote:

Because there are some tools I need to use that are not currently compatible with kernel version 6.1. However, they do work with kernel version 5.15.

The kernel tends to be one of the easiest programs to keep at a specific version and there is a linux-lts515 package in AUR.
You would be running a normal archlinux system, but be responsible for building and upgrading the kernel yourself .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer