You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-03 13:36:05

alculquicondor
Website

Logitech G29 racing wheel not recognized in Steam

Hello,
I have a racing wheel that was working a few days ago. Now it's not recognized in Dirt 4 (native), Project Cars 2 (with proton) nor steam Big picture.
I believe it stopped working after a steam upgrade (from the community package).

The wheel is recognized by the system.

$ lsusb
Bus 003 Device 028: ID 046d:c24f Logitech, Inc. G29 Driving Force Racing Wheel [PS3]

It's also recognized by Chrome (tested with https://gamepad-tester.com/)

I've been using the udev rules from Dirt4, located in $HOME/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/DiRT 4/share/udev/99-logitech-wheel-perms.rules, which I copied to /etc/udev/rules.d
However, I also tried removing the file and copying to /lib/udev/rules.d

There are no rules for this controller in /lib/udev/rules.d/70-steam-input.rules

When running steam from command line, I see it listed:

$ steam
Local Device Found
  type: 046d c24f
  path: sdl://1
  serial_number:  - 0
  Manufacturer: 
  Product:      Logitech G29 Driving Force Racing Wheel
  Release:      111
  Interface:    -1

But it doesn't show in the Controller Settings section in Big Picture.

Any ideas? Thanks

#2 2021-04-03 15:12:29

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Logitech G29 racing wheel not recognized in Steam

Just one.  Have you updated the kernel lately?  Did you reboot?

Compare the versions reported by pacman -Q linux and by uname -a    (assuming you are using the stock kernel,  If not, change first command accordingly)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2021-04-05 13:03:58

alculquicondor
Website

Have you updated the kernel lately?  Did you reboot?

Yes and yes.

I also have 2 kernels: 5.11.11.arch1-1 and 5.4.108-RAVEN. It doesn't work with either. But I don't see how the kernel would be a problem, given that the controller is properly recognized in Chrome.

#4 2021-04-05 14:18:05

ewaller
Administrator

I was looking into whether there was a kernel module that could not be found.  Not so much the kernel itself, but whether the kernel that is in memory cannot find its modules that it might need to dynamically load, this can happen if the kernel is updated and the running kernel's modules are removed by pacman and another kernels modules are installed  It can also happen if the kernel on the boot partition cannot be updated by pacman.

Sounds like it is not a problem.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2021-05-16 03:58:27

creed10

Hello, I'm posting this for visibility as i'm also having this issue. I have the Logitech G29. It worked perfectly fine with plug and play, but then after a reboot, it decided to stop working. I made it work again by various combinations of plugging/unplugging/pulling the power supply, but it seems that some type of configuration either on the wheel itself or within Linux/steam is causing it to not be recognized by steam. I don't know if it's recognized by other games. It's recognized in the output of lsusb.

update: it seems to only happen when i have the wheel in PS4 mode. When it's PS3 mode it works perfectly fine after a reboot.

Last edited by creed10 (2021-05-16 16:31:14)

#6 2021-05-22 13:54:53

alculquicondor
Website

I've always had it in PS3 mode. Still not working in Steam games, but working on Chrome.

#7 2023-03-02 18:27:07

giorgio76

Hello any news? I have the same problem, I can use the g29 from steam but the device is not recognized from the "controller" setting in steam.

Board footer