You are not logged in.

#1 2023-02-22 15:38:38

jason98893

Thinkpad P1G5 Odd USB/Networking Issue

Everything works great on my new P1 Gen5 with the noteable exception of an irritating network and/or USB issue. Laptop doesn't have a built in ethernet port, so I'm using a Caldigit3 as a dock, which ... generally... works fine except for sporadic problems. There are two that I've been able to hone in on and would appreciate anything I can do to troubleshoot further. I'm not an Arch expert, but have been enjoying it thus far as my daily driver.

Issue #1: The wired NIC in the Caldigit seems to randomly stop working until I restart systemd-networkd. I know this because the Wifi card turns on and I'm on the edge of signal, so everything goes to crap until I disable wifi & restart networkd. I have similar issues with other Thunderbolt/USBc. Nothing of relevance in system log that I can see other than wifi connection attempts.

Issue #2: The entire connection to the Caldigit seems to drop with the exception of the display (DisplayPort monitor, works great). Keyboard, NIC, all other USB devices stop working and don't reconnect until I reboot.

Things I have tried:

- I've looked extensively through the system log using dmesg and cannot for the life of me find anything related either before, or after the occurance of the issue.
- Re issue #2, I've tried restarting systemd-udev and bolt services to no effect.
- echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/rescan after the issue occurs. Nothing.

I know there are things I've tried that I'm not recalling at the moment, but would gladly take any assistance to help me pin down the problem. At this point, all signs *seem* to be pointing to thunderbolt/usb, but I'm not sure. I have had Issue #1 when using a different USB NIC also.

Currently running 6.1.12.

Thank you for any assistance.

#2 2023-03-03 14:25:14

jason98893

Re: Thinkpad P1G5 Odd USB/Networking Issue

Found a solution, and posting in case it helps someone. I could repro the issue by disconnecting and reconnecting the dock. Disconnect was fine, reconnect turned the display back on, but keyboard/nic dead. Also odd problems with the NIC per above.

The problem ended up being a udev rule, per this issue: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=261153.

I removed this file and rebooted.

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="05c6", ATTR{idProduct}=="9205", ATTR{power/autosuspend}="-1"

So far thing seem stable and I can disconnect/reconnect the dock now without loosing keyboard/nic.

#3 2023-09-22 17:32:13

timblaktu

@jason98893 how are things going with your P1G5 and thunderbolt/usb dock now? I've been chatting with @loh (who has posted several threads about this issue on same hw here) and here) and thought there could be some progress made by linking you here.

FWIW, I've got a P1G5 as well and have solved my most recent problem (using a Sonnetech Solo SFP+ thunderbolt 3 device) by disabling ASPM via `pcie_aspm=off` kernel param.

One last thing, I recommend we share hardware probe results in threads like this to accelerate the asynchronous troubleshooting we're all doing here - you can see mine  here on linux-hardware.org). Cheers.

Last edited by timblaktu (2023-09-22 17:34:21)

#4 2023-09-22 17:50:36

jason98893

@timblaktu - thanks for reaching out. The dock is "stable" is the best way I can put it. I don't get random drops anymore, but the disconnect/reconnect issue is back. Essentially when I unplug the USB-C cable from the laptop, then plug it back in, the dock is not recognized. For many other usb related issues, I can issue sudo lsusb -v and everything gets "re-recognized", but not with this problem. Still ongoing I'm afraid.

What's really odd is that it's just the NIC/Keyboard that don't come back. The display (DP), which is also plugged in to the dock, comes back just fine. ? Reboot still required to reactivate keyboard/nic.

Edit: I also have pcie_aspm=off in my kernel params. Kernel: 6.5.3

Last edited by jason98893 (2023-09-22 17:54:47)

Board footer