You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-12 14:00:51

EmbraceThePenguin

Watching TV [SOLVED]

Hello there,

Ok, so I got the ivtv drivers all set up for my WinTV-PVR-250 card and I can set the channel and watch tv using mplayer /dev/video0, but I cant get ANY of the popular tv applications working.

I have tried kdetv, tvtime, xsaw (or something like that), xine, and kmplayer (Trying to connect to the TV option)  and all the applications give varying errors. For instance, tvtime says ivtv:invalid argument.

I don't mind watching tv with the cat command or mplayer, but its a real pain to change channels (ivtv-tune -t us-cable-hrc -c 35 for instance.)

Surely there is a simpler way to do this without having to install MythTV.

Anyone get this working with a regular TV app?

Thanks!!!

Joe

#2 2006-01-18 03:35:32

sash

Re: Watching TV [SOLVED]

I've had success with analog bttv cards.

This should be enough to install mythtv:

pacman -S mythtv

#3 2006-01-18 03:55:01

EmbraceThePenguin

sash wrote:

I've had success with analog bttv cards.

This should be enough to install mythtv:

pacman -S mythtv

Well, I have MythTV installed and it works, however, I still have to change the channels using ivtv-tune.

Can you give me some examples of the bttv cards? I didn't know that the WinTV-PVR cards were so unsupported in Linux.

Maybe I will just return my card for one that works...

Thanks!!!

Joe

#4 2006-01-20 01:42:06

sash

If you have a Wintv-PVR card, I'd say stick with that. They are the new kind of tv tuner cards, hence the (arguably) so-so support for now. But it is improving quickly, making me think of buying one  big_smile .

I'd say go to the mythtv users list and see/ask how PVR card owners change channels. The first thing that comes to mind is to use irexec with a remote to call ivtv-tune and cange channels.

An example of bttv card is the Avermedia tv'98, Leadtek Wintv-Go, ATI tvwonder and tv-wonder VE, KWORLD cards, etc. There is a huge list in the documentation for the bttv kernel module.

#5 2006-01-20 04:07:38

EmbraceThePenguin

sash wrote:

If you have a Wintv-PVR card, I'd say stick with that. They are the new kind of tv tuner cards, hence the (arguably) so-so support for now. But it is improving quickly, making me think of buying one  big_smile .

I'd say go to the mythtv users list and see/ask how PVR card owners change channels. The first thing that comes to mind is to use irexec with a remote to call ivtv-tune and cange channels.

An example of bttv card is the Avermedia tv'98, Leadtek Wintv-Go, ATI tvwonder and tv-wonder VE, KWORLD cards, etc. There is a huge list in the documentation for the bttv kernel module.

Yeah, I was just frustrated. I like my card, and I guess I was being too lazy...

I will keep it smile

Thanks for the info though!!!

Joe

#6 2006-04-10 00:40:20

enderst

i use

ptune.pl 13

to change channel

cat /dev/video0|xine stdin:/

to watch tv

#7 2006-04-10 01:01:27

EmbraceThePenguin

enderst wrote:

i use

ptune.pl 13

to change channel

cat /dev/video0|xine stdin:/

to watch tv

I was able to get MythTV working like a charm. I was using older ivtv drivers, but installed new ones and it all works great.

Thanks!!!

Joe

#8 2006-11-18 19:33:30

rayjgu3

when i was able to connect to mysql on my machine with pvr-500
hit the arrow up/down then enter

Board footer