You are not logged in.

#1 2023-03-25 15:29:51

Ciade

Xorg hang on startx (nouveau) nvidia Error: Unknown chipset: NV174

Since updating my system today I've been (mostly) unable to get an X session started. I confess while updating I wasn't paying attention to what was actually being updated as I've very rarely have any errors but immediately after updating I noticed I was unable to start a video with mpv video player, I thought nothing of it so I rebooted, only to find that startx was now hanging and freezing my desktop I couldn't even get to a second TTY.

So I restarted, again and oddly enough, this time start x worked so I thought nothing of it... since then I've once again shut my pc down, logged into windows as I run a dualboot then later again, shut windows down and logged back into Arch and again start x hangs and this time I was unable to get an x session started.

I checked the Xorg log and the only error I'm seeing is: "Unknown chipset: NV174"

My full Xorg log is here:
https://pastebin.com/siRbtEyA

I've tried to make sure I've removed everything to do with previous nvidia graphics drivers and I can't see anything remaining, I've also checked the modprobe for a blacklisted nouveau driver but it looks like nouveau is being loaded. I'm not using any xorg config, as trying to run "sudo Xorg :0 -configure" results in the same error as above.

Any help is appreciated, spent a few hours troubleshooting this myself and I can't seem to work out where the problem is.

Setup:
Screens: 2x monitors one using HDMI and one using DisplayPort
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3070 lhr
drivers: xf8x-video-nouveau

#2 2023-03-25 15:56:44

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Xorg hang on startx (nouveau) nvidia Error: Unknown chipset: NV174

Do you actually knowingly and intentionally try to use nouveau? Perf here is going to be an absolute fraction of the proprietary driver. Chances are the issue happened with a kernel update, what kernel were you on what kernel did you update to? Post your /var/log/pacman.log

FWIW this isn't the full xorg snippet and xf86-video-nouveau generally not expected to work here, this will have been using the modesetting driver like it does here before the cutoff. Might want to post a full xorg.log and

sudo journalctl -b

after attempting to start xorg: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/List_o … n_services

Last edited by V1del (2023-03-25 15:58:08)

#3 2023-03-25 17:11:32

Ciade

Re: Xorg hang on startx (nouveau) nvidia Error: Unknown chipset: NV174

V1del wrote:

Do you actually knowingly and intentionally try to use nouveau? Perf here is going to be an absolute fraction of the proprietary driver. Chances are the issue happened with a kernel update, what kernel were you on what kernel did you update to? Post your /var/log/pacman.log

FWIW this isn't the full xorg snippet and xf86-video-nouveau generally not expected to work here, this will have been using the modesetting driver like it does here before the cutoff. Might want to post a full xorg.log and

sudo journalctl -b

after attempting to start xorg: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/List_o … n_services

I decided to give the nvidia drivers a go instead, ran into some issues with those too but after following the steps on the NVIDIA drivers page from the wiki to disable KMS to prevent the nouveau driver from loading I have a working X session again. Still not sure what the issue was with the nouveau driver though happy to post my pacman log if its still of interest?

Board footer