You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-07 23:53:11

foxbunny
Website

ArchWiki page categorization problems.

We have some problems categorizing some pages. Since I, foxbunny, didn't like the idea of having pages in more than one category, I would like you all to tell me two things (without resorting to using the notorious poll thing).

1. How do you feel about having one page listed in many categories?

I'll answer this one first. I feel that one page should not belong to more than one category (excluding the "by type" categories). The reason for this is that, although cetain tasks may seem to belong to two or three categories, usually there is one good way of thinking about the given task, and that is the also the category the article should go into.

For example, say we have an article on adding users to the optical group in order to allow ordinary users to play/burn/whatnot CDs and DVDs. This task may belong to [Hardware] category, [Audio/Video], maybe, [Security]... My view is that it should go to the [Security] section, because it is my belief that most users are not quite aware of the security issues surrounding this type of procedures, and this categorization may give them more insight into why they need permissions and security... (but that's me, allright).

2. I'll be listing some articles I don't know where to fit, and I need your opinion.

a. http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pla … Ds_as_user ([Security] or [Optical])
b. http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sou … ion_denied ([Security] or [Sound])
c. Pages about AUR ([Arch development], or [Development] under [User's Guide], or [Package management]; this one is especially interesting)
d. AUR Trusted User Guideline ([About Arch], which also covers the Arch community, or [Package management])

Of course, since I'm not the only one working on moving wiki pages (I hope), please add pages to categories you feel are correct.

#2 2006-11-07 23:57:20

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: ArchWiki page categorization problems.

I don't see why more than one is no good as long as more than one is properly justifiable.  You might also consider that if something fits in loads of categories than maybe your categories are still to vague smile

#3 2006-11-08 00:05:24

foxbunny
Website

dtw wrote:

I don't see why more than one is no good as long as more than one is properly justifiable.  You might also consider that if something fits in loads of categories than maybe your categories are still to vague smile

Wow, dtw, do you live on this forum (like me?). Haha, quck answer! smile

Anywayz, the second part of your question rings a bell. big_smile Yes, I would rather create new categories than have articles in multiple categories (unless, of course, there is a REALLY good reason for that).

EDIT: Not the mention some quite poorly written articles... smile And my lack of understanding for some topic... We do need more volunteers. smile

What do you make of 2nd Q?

#4 2006-11-08 02:01:01

elasticdog
Website

Well I'd say to make thing intuitive...if a user is having trouble playing cds and doesn't know why, he's not going to immediately think it's a security issue and look there; my guess would be he'd look under a category called Optical, since that's what a cd player is.  I personally don't think there would be anything wrong with having them listed under multiple categories, especially considering that not every can be put in to one clear-cut organizational structure (kind of like how Gmail has labels instead of folders).  As long as the links are pointing to the same end page, then you don't have any duplication of pages to maintain and I think it would make it easier to find a match without having to sift through all the other categories.

#5 2006-11-08 03:59:34

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I think having pages in multiple categories is a good thing. A lot of the time, not knowing what the problem really is, people look in different places first. It should be in the place they look first for everyone. In a map of the wiki, it looks disorganized, but on any one category page, everything should seem relevant. Plus, it makes the wiki look more full. big_smile

Dusty

#6 2006-11-08 04:43:07

iphitus
Forum Fellow

having them in multiple categories would be a good thing. Not everyone thinks like you do, and so some would seem more logical in another place. There's a few users whose language skills aren't as great and so it will increase their chances of finding things too.

James

#7 2006-11-08 18:22:23

foxbunny
Website

Okay, I've put them into multiple categories. My original opinion was that the categorization may be a good way to point out why cetain things are done in certain ways.... However, I must agree that that's not going to change many users, thus hurting wiki accessibility.

Thanks for your input, all!

#8 2006-11-13 16:54:20

foxbunny
Website

How would you categorize this page:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sub … nd_restore

I have no clue as to what subversions are, and the article offers no hints.

#9 2006-11-13 17:05:01

tardo

mm, this would fall under system administration, perhaps a new subcategory called backup. If you want to avoid the new subcategory, I'd put it in Network.

#10 2006-11-13 17:11:21

foxbunny
Website

tardo wrote:

mm, this would fall under system administration, perhaps a new subcategory called backup. If you want to avoid the new subcategory, I'd put it in Network.

What is a subversion anyway? Is it a server, or just another tool?

I've created [English]>>[Uncategorized (English)] page for all pages I failed to properly categorize, so you may take a peek and move anything you find there. Here's a quick link:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cat … English%29

#11 2006-11-13 17:12:31

tardo

It's a better version of CVS

#12 2006-11-13 18:08:10

foxbunny
Website

tardo wrote:

Then, I suppose it would be categorized as

[Networking]+[Development]+[HOWTOs]

#13 2006-11-13 19:50:49

Romashka
Forum Fellow

foxbunny wrote:
tardo wrote:

Then, I suppose it would be categorized as

[Networking]+[Development]+[HOWTOs]

Then the point of this article is lost - using version control system to backup data.
IMHO this should be in System administration and HOWTOs.

to live is to die

#14 2006-11-13 21:20:00

elasticdog
Website

If you look at the article, that is not what it is about (albeit it's not a particularly well-written article).  It's about how you would backup a full SVN repository to move to another machine or simply have as a backup.  Subversion is a version control system that uses a centralized server...the article is how to do a dump of the data on that centralized server in a clean mannor (exactly like <code>mysqldump</code> is used to get the data stored on a mysql server).   It's not about how to back up data using Subversion as a backend...

Anyway, I'm not sure what the categorization should be, but it's both development related and system administration related.  Hopefully that explanation clears it up a bit for you.

#15 2006-11-13 21:33:41

Romashka
Forum Fellow

elasticdog wrote:

If you look at the article, that is not what it is about (albeit it's not a particularly well-written article).  It's about how you would backup a full SVN repository to move to another machine or simply have as a backup.

:oops:

to live is to die

#16 2006-11-13 22:23:39

foxbunny
Website

[Networking] is under [System administration]. But I'm not sure it a network issue. Supposedy, this category was to include the server apps and their configuration.

#17 2006-11-13 22:36:30

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Subversion is definately not a networking application. I use it locally all the time and never even run a server. Personally, I use it for software development and also for managing revisions to my thesis (at the moment) and other major documents.

I'd put it in a "software development" category, or else you could have a separate category under "System administration" for "Revision control" This would include pages on subversion, cvs, darcs , GNU Arch (nothing related to Arch Linux), and that other thing people talk about sometimes.

Dusty

#18 2006-11-13 23:46:08

foxbunny
Website

Dusty wrote:

Subversion is definately not a networking application. I use it locally all the time and never even run a server. Personally, I use it for software development and also for managing revisions to my thesis (at the moment) and other major documents.

I'd put it in a "software development" category, or else you could have a separate category under "System administration" for "Revision control" This would include pages on subversion, cvs, darcs , GNU Arch (nothing related to Arch Linux), and that other thing people talk about sometimes.

Dusty

That explains it. I see cvs and the like in a network context all the time because I never needed to use it myself. smile

#19 2006-11-17 17:58:50

foxbunny
Website

"File Alteration Monitor"... from the sound of it, it could go to [Security]. What do you think?

#20 2006-11-17 18:06:16

Romashka
Forum Fellow

foxbunny wrote:

"File Alteration Monitor"... from the sound of it, it could go to [Security]. What do you think?

Why security? It's just for making software that supports fam/gamin be aware of file changes. For example new file appers in your filemanager's filelist without the need to manually refresh the list.

to live is to die

#21 2006-11-20 10:24:17

foxbunny
Website

Romashka wrote:
foxbunny wrote:

Why security? It's just for making software that supports fam/gamin be aware of file changes. For example new file appers in your filemanager's filelist without the need to manually refresh the list.

Security people often need to monitor file changes, file access dates/times, etc. That's why I thought it could be a security issue. Anyway, do you have any ideas where this particular HOWTO could go?

#22 2006-11-20 10:33:51

Romashka
Forum Fellow

foxbunny wrote:

Security people often need to monitor file changes, file access dates/times, etc. That's why I thought it could be a security issue.

Theoretically FAM can be used for this, but contents of "Configuring FAM" page doesn't describe this.

foxbunny wrote:

Anyway, do you have any ideas where this particular HOWTO could go?

Desktop?

BTW, searching for "FAM" doesn't show "Configuring FAM" in our wiki. :?

to live is to die

Board footer