You are not logged in.

#51 2006-11-04 07:27:14

fedaykin

Re: Wiki Volunteers Wanted

Someone should go over the Wiki Main Page (it's locked to me), there are some spelling and capitalization errors, etc.

#52 2006-11-04 10:18:19

Pajaro

I think that it would be helpful to have an automatically generated page with:
- missing i18n
- pages marked as "to be improved" or "outdated" or any other labels that can be useful. People may not know the language enough or may not know enough of something to update the page, but they can realize that a page is outdated.
- a tool to join/move/rename categories

this would also simplify updating because watching just one page you would be able to track the whole wiki.

#53 2006-11-04 10:20:24

Pajaro

it would be also very good to have an AJAX monitor when you edit a page that shows you if someone else is editing the same page at the same time. I don't know if something like this is already implemented but if not this is a must have.

#54 2006-11-04 12:37:39

jakob

Pajaro wrote:

it would be also very good to have an AJAX monitor when you edit a page that shows you if someone else is editing the same page at the same time. I don't know if something like this is already implemented but if not this is a must have.

You get a warning if someone edited an article while you did the same and he subscribed his edit earlier than you wink

There are some really nice AJAX features in more recent versions of mediawiki which we could make good use if the wiki version would be updated.

The "to be improved" or "outdated" flags exist for stubs and their number may be increased by creating new templates for these occurencies...

#55 2006-11-04 13:14:58

Pajaro

good smile

#56 2006-11-04 22:14:42

byte

Regarding internationali[sz]ation ...

It would be nice if you sort the i18n links alphabetically (if unsure, take a look here and go after the 2nd column).

I could agree with completely translated article names, but at least some hint about their language would be nice... not everyone is able to differentiate between Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Greek or Cyrillic charsets. So I guess I'm picking up the earlier question from "dienadel".

And probably the most important topic:
Are the English pages to be 'canon' and all translations should translate them as close as possible? What about genuine foreign content? Back- and forward-translations or just one direction?

A list of contacts for every language would be nice and if you're feeling alone doing all the work for your language, why not ask on IRC or here for help and some cross-checking?

#57 2006-11-05 06:20:03

cheer

I think that many of people don't know English, so they can wikify only in their Mother tongue, so IMO translation will be in two directions.
Where to put list of contact? To the page with name of a language?

#58 2006-11-05 11:15:45

Kenetixx
Website

Ill help out if i can , but only being a n00b at linux i cant contribute much at all, but if there are other things i can do ill give a hand.

http://binaryritual.net

There is no spoon.......

#59 2006-11-05 15:13:51

jakob

byte wrote:

Regarding internationali[sz]ation ...

It would be nice if you sort the i18n links alphabetically (if unsure, take a look here and go after the 2nd column).

I could agree with completely translated article names, but at least some hint about their language would be nice... not everyone is able to differentiate between Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Greek or Cyrillic charsets. So I guess I'm picking up the earlier question from "dienadel".

I also like the idea of the following structure a lot more:

EnglishArticleName for the original, english Article
EnglishArticleName_(Language1)
EnglishArticleName_(Language2)
EnglishArticleName_(Language3)

Where "LanguageX" may be written in the language itself...

#60 2006-11-05 22:14:55

foxbunny
Website

satanix wrote:

Ill help out if i can , but only being a n00b at linux i cant contribute much at all, but if there are other things i can do ill give a hand.

Please take a look at http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Priority_Todo

Then read http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Moving_pages_HOWTO

Help us sort out pages, and move pages into appropriate categories.

Follow the "correct me if I'm wrong" (CMIIR) principle. wink

#61 2006-11-09 11:03:50

byte

(it has become quite a strain to follow wiki changes and the forum besides all the other Arch stuff, so excuse me if there's a better thread to post this; I just want to keep my stuff together)

byte wrote:

The (probably minor, cosmetic) sorting issue now not only affects the i18n links but the categories as well.

byte wrote:

Is there a common guideline about handling article/categories/whatever-names? I think foxbunny too complained about that in the Dokuwiki/Mediawiki poll.

Quoting the Priority Todo:
"Please refrain from creating new pages until the category tree is fixed and stable."
Yeah, right.
And forget about the ArchWiki categories, remember there are namespaces; just search for something and you'll see what I mean, that checkboxes thing at the bottom. Right now there's a whole lot of 'meta' stuff polluting the main tree that would better fit into the ArchWiki: namespace, imho. As that isn't about documenting Arch Linux, the distro, but just Arch wiki, you could happily ignore all translation/category stuff, too; at least for now, when everything's in flux.
The greatest benefit is that this will exclude the whole ArchWiki stuff from a default wiki search.

#62 2006-11-09 13:53:41

foxbunny
Website

byte wrote:

The (probably minor, cosmetic) sorting issue now not only affects the i18n links but the categories as well.

You are probably refering to the new category pages I created. I've made detailed subcategory descriptions ABOVE the alphabetically sorted subcategory list. So you have both. The sorting order of main category is logical, not alphabetical. I thought about the tasks that I expect people to address before others and sorted the categories accordingly. [About Arch] is the only exception. Category related topic is here:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=26585

byte wrote:

Is there a common guideline about handling article/categories/whatever-names?

I am currently thinking about writing a guideline on article titles which will cover that issue as well. However, the current state of things is that all translations have either no (Language) suffix, if the title doesn't match the English version, or has a (Language) suffix, if the title is a copy of the original. I think it would be best to address this issue in a consisten manner, by adding (Language) to ALL articles WITHOUT EXCEPTION.

byte wrote:

Quoting the Priority Todo:
"Please refrain from creating new pages until the category tree is fixed and stable."
Yeah, right.

Yes, that would be me. wink I meant the tree in the "ArchWiki Category Tree" article. It's quite stable now, so you may create new articles, but CATEGORIZE THEM USING THE NEW TREE:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arc … egory_Tree

Also, if you're interested, please add comments to the tree so that new users will know what article should go where.

byte wrote:

And forget about the ArchWiki categories, remember there are namespaces; just search for something and you'll see what I mean, that checkboxes thing at the bottom. Right now there's a whole lot of 'meta' stuff polluting the main tree that would better fit into the ArchWiki: namespace, imho. As that isn't about documenting Arch Linux, the distro, but just Arch wiki, you could happily ignore all translation/category stuff, too; at least for now, when everything's in flux.
The greatest benefit is that this will exclude the whole ArchWiki stuff from a default wiki search.

Could you please post a new topic with some more details on implementation of namespaces? I think more people would be interested in this.

#63 2006-11-09 16:03:56

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I stumbled across namespaces a couple days ago, they are a very good thing:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Namespace

One possibility here is to use a separate namespace for each language.

Dusty

#64 2006-11-14 13:19:02

Danarchy

well, I'll try and translate some pages in Dutch but that's about all the aide I can give for now as i am still sort of a newbie smile

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

#65 2006-11-14 16:07:08

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

That's great Danarchy, thanks! Every little bit helps, I'm not asking people to sell their soul to the wiki. (I think foxbunny missed thatt part though. :-))

Dusty

#66 2006-11-14 16:25:17

zergu
Website

OK, I'll try to help with translating pages to polish and do some minor english changes too, but I personally think that to do any work, one should have a good workplace. To be specific, ArchWiki should look much better than it does actually. Menu on the left is hell, pages are very opaque. There should be more margins/padding around headers, TOCs etc, more space typing shortly. Maybe some small icons will also make it a little bit nicer.

The other thing is naming non-english articles. IMHO language "indicator" should be before the actual name, placing in on the end in brackets makes article hard to find and looks messy in article list. Maybe using these namespaces will be a good idea?

#67 2006-11-14 17:15:51

foxbunny
Website

Dusty wrote:

That's great Danarchy, thanks! Every little bit helps, I'm not asking people to sell their soul to the wiki. (I think foxbunny missed thatt part though. :-))

Too late. But the price wasn't bad at all. wink

zergu wrote:

The other thing is naming non-english articles. IMHO language "indicator" should be before the actual name, placing in on the end in brackets makes article hard to find and looks messy in article list. Maybe using these namespaces will be a good idea?

Implementation of namespaces is being discussed as well as some other issues. You will find a thread here:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=26798

There has been some talk (a rather heated discussion, actually) about migrating the ArchWiki to an updated version of MediaWiki, or DokuWiki. This may still happen in near future, and it is my hope that namespaces would be the priority when configuring the new wiki.

Also, I have spoken about language equality before. The practice of adding "(Language)" (or namespace prefix, for that matter) should apply to English pages as well.

Tardo has also been experimenting with an alternative way of dealing with this issue. See the rather spectacular results here:

http://www.nagi-fanboi.net/mediawiki/in … tle=Pacman

We are currently prioritizing the tasks, so dealing with multilanguage articles is postponed until further notice. You may use whatever means available to deal with the issue. You may find my own recommendation in the "Article naming guideline":

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Art … tilanguage articles

Also, we are prioritizing tasks at the moment. See the Priority Todo:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Priority_Todo

Generally, people are not really expected to stick to the Priority Todo list. This list was created so maintainers can coordinate tasks, as well as for admins to get a better view of what major changes are happening at the moment.

According to the Priority Todo, translators are asked to make category trees for non-English categories, and move already translated pages into them. I am not aware of any particular way of finding the translated pages, but if you read the Priority Todo page, you will find a list of sections that have been successfully moved, so you may look for leftover translation in those sections.

#68 2006-11-15 00:42:13

zergu
Website

Thanks for pointing these pages out.

foxbunny wrote:

There has been some talk (a rather heated discussion, actually) about migrating the ArchWiki to an updated version of MediaWiki, or DokuWiki. This may still happen in near future, and it is my hope that namespaces would be the priority when configuring the new wiki.

I think that migration is a good idea. There is so much work with cleaning current ArchWiki up that it could be done during migration wink. DokuWiki looks nice and if you want to encourage people to spend hours editing articles - outlook is important smile

#69 2006-11-17 00:25:15

jonathantan86

I would like to volunteer to help out with the Wiki.

My only "qualifications" are my reasonably good command of English (as hopefully you can see from this post) and that I've been using Arch Linux since version 0.6.

I have read this forum thread and the Todo pages, but would rather wait for further instructions, just in case I do something that isn't part of the new Wiki structure or policy or something, or duplicates efforts already made. I think the best way for me to contribute would be for the current Wiki reorganisers to post stub articles for me to fill in, but I leave that up to them.

I cannot help with translations.

If you by any chance meet me on #archlinux at irc.freenode.net, I'm yondalf.

#70 2006-11-17 20:55:16

Firmicus
Forum Fellow

Hello Dusty and others,

I have just edited the page Fonts considerably. It is still far from perfect, but I have indicated what I think should still be done to have a decent wiki entry. Before spending more time on this, I'd appreciate to have some comments on what I've done.

#71 2006-11-17 21:04:29

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Looks like you're on the right track. Are you planning to merge it with the Fonts FAQ? That seems like a good idea. I'm not sure if the FAQ should be written in Q & A format anyway, maybe it would be better to have the whole works in a sort of HOWTO format.

Dusty

#72 2006-11-18 01:28:10

sud_crow
Website

dienadel wrote:

I could help to translate the wiki from english to spanish (es-ES).

What i have no idea is how to start, as there is no spanish category.

Feel free to contact me at dienadel@thegooglemailsystem, or here.

Bye

Dienadel:

[English]
Before you start translating, please check http://www.archlinux.com.ar/wiki , there you can find plenty of translated articles.

[Spanish]
Antes que te pongas a traducir, fijate que en www.archlinux.com.ar/wiki hay varios articulos traducidos.

Leonardo Andrés Gallego
www.archlinux-es.org || Comunidad Hispana de Arch Linux

#73 2006-11-18 13:54:18

Firmicus
Forum Fellow

Dusty wrote:

Looks like you're on the right track. Are you planning to merge it with the Fonts FAQ? That seems like a good idea. I'm not sure if the FAQ should be written in Q & A format anyway, maybe it would be better to have the whole works in a sort of HOWTO format.
Dusty

Yes, I was thinking to merge everything font-related into one "Font" Wiki. I also agree that the HOWTO format is better than FAQ, especially so in wiki-style documentation. I won't have time to do more until next week-end, but I'll advise you when I'm "finished". -- Cheers, F.

#74 2006-11-20 13:45:38

foxbunny
Website

Firmicus wrote:

Yes, I was thinking to merge everything font-related into one "Font" Wiki. I also agree that the HOWTO format is better than FAQ, especially so in wiki-style documentation. I won't have time to do more until next week-end, but I'll advise you when I'm "finished". -- Cheers, F.

If you're attempting a larger project, please remember to edit the Priority Todo page and add your activities into Current progress section, so that people don't do the same things twice.

#75 2006-11-20 16:00:26

Firmicus
Forum Fellow

foxbunny wrote:

If you're attempting a larger project, please remember to edit the Priority Todo page and add your activities into Current progress section, so that people don't do the same things twice.

ok, did it. thanks for pointing that to me. hope other contributors will follow your advise too. wink

Board footer