You are not logged in.

#7501 2023-03-26 21:51:05

Turtyo

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello everyone.

I've started on Linux systems about 18 months ago, and I've switched to Arch for about 6 months now. I'm glad to have learns tons of things even if it was hard at the beginning !

#7502 2023-04-03 13:16:10

Razlo3p

Hello everyone, fresh bean of Arch here!

#7503 2023-04-03 21:41:44

ProdigalTech

Hey all, just joined the forum after lurking for 9 months!  Loving Arch Linux - the challenge of having to learn at a greater level of depth how Linux really works has been great fun.  And the community seems super helpful, so looking forward to being part of it and contributing smile.

#7504 2023-04-03 22:51:20

Texbrew

ProdigalTech wrote:

Hey all, just joined the forum after lurking for 9 months!  Loving Arch Linux - the challenge of having to learn at a greater level of depth how Linux really works has been great fun.  And the community seems super helpful, so looking forward to being part of it and contributing smile.

Welcome, and your enthusiasm is infectious. Archlinux is, in my opinion, the best tool for learning how Linux works. It is not for the faint of heart, but it is incredibly flexible. So you have lurked the forums for several months, do you mind sharing when and how you started using ArchLinux?

#7505 2023-04-04 03:24:57

RyguyMarrow

Hello everyone, I have used other linux distros for awhile now tried arch around 6 months and it has been my daily driver since. I am hoping to post in the forums but my knowledge is still quite basic and I also want to ask for a little help myself smile

Last edited by RyguyMarrow (2023-04-04 03:25:44)

#7506 2023-04-05 11:11:09

dems1f45

Hi,

I have already installed some Linuxes from other distributions, with good and bad experiences. There were always a number of problems that were not easy to solve or that I simply could not solve on a satisfying level.
I would now like to take up the challenge of installing archlinux to better understand a Linux system and to dive deeper and more structurally when looking solutions.

#7507 2023-04-07 21:28:57

ProdigalTech

Texbrew wrote:

Welcome, and your enthusiasm is infectious.

Thanks you on both counts smile

Texbrew wrote:

Archlinux is, in my opinion, the best tool for learning how Linux works. It is not for the faint of heart, but it is incredibly flexible.

Tell me about it...it's been quite a steep learning curve, especially recently, as I've begun to experiment more and made some mistakes that I haven't yet worked out how to fix.  After several more wrecked installations, I'm sure I'll have learned enough not to repeat those errors (and to begin to help others).

Texbrew wrote:

So you have lurked the forums for several months, do you mind sharing when and how you started using ArchLinux?

I first installed it in June 2022, in a VirtualBox VM on Windows.  I had been using CentOS for years and years (since version 5), but decided it was time for a change.  I wanted something lighter-weight (since I don't need a really fancy Desktop Environment for the kind of stuff I do), so tried out Fedora (too unstable, forum not all that helpful), Manjaro (didn't really gel with it), and then took the plunge on Arch, knowing I was in for a bit of a challenge.  I worked out how to get it set up more or less the way I wanted to, and all was well until last week, when I did a kernel update, along with 300+ other packages.  Suffice to say my VirtualBox installation isn't vey well at the moment, so once I've combed through all the available information sources, I'll be posting a plea for help!  Assuming I haven't fixed it on my own by then, of course....

#7508 2023-04-14 02:44:40

tdtooke

I'm overdue by about 2 years, but hi....I'm me.  Considering contributing to the installation wiki but I'm lazy...  If you have an optimus computer with a janky intel graphics card and a really good nvidia card you definitely want to ONLY use the nvidia card.  Bumblebee does work, but games don't look as good.  Nvidia-xrun works perfectly except one day you're gonna want to connect you computer to your tv via hdmi to watch a movie.  True, there are chromecastish solutions, but if you want hi res video you won't like the display....and hdmi is going to insist that you only use nvidia, at least it did for me...  So in the end you want to configure you system to only use nvidia.  After a monthlong google journey where you figured this out.  I do wish the install wiki had something in it to let me know about all that and avoid that problem altogether.  Other than that I love Arch.  I decided to move after a Kubuntu installation on a different computer had pre-decided what drivers to install and that took some time for me to get straight.  The way their dependencies are interlocked replacing something it came with is harder than you'd think.  Arch gave me basically every option, which while being really really hard to install is probably the best way.  /rant

#7509 2023-04-14 17:15:22

bambam2984

Hello everyone. I am a new Arch user and have been having a great time learning. I used Debian for a couple of years on and off. Still considered a newbie to Linux itself, but was up for the challenge of Arch.

#7510 2023-04-15 07:20:09

monnux

Hello to everyone. Long time windows power user moving to the world of Linux, I used Mint for about a year back during education which was an alright experience. I'm a slow but eager learner, looking forward to making Arch my daily driver smile

#7511 2023-04-16 15:39:09

josh68

Hello, all

I'm expecting this post might be deleted, so I'll be brief.

I came to this forum via web search looking to solve a problem that could easily pertain to a vanilla Arch installation, and could be helpful to other users of this forum. I signed up so I could add a question to an existing thread that seemed related to my issue, which I don't think is against any forum rules. Someone advised that my problem should be a new thread. So I made one.

After people helped me solve my problem (thanks to them), I added some context that mentioned I'm not using vanilla Arch. That thread has now been closed and is in the dustbin.

Seems to me it might be helpful to Arch itself if this forum allowed questions, or at least retained answers for questions, that might come from users running Arch-based systems, if the content isn't distro-specific, and could help any user of Arch x86_64. I think it's a shame that the help I received will now be wiped out, so no one else might be able to learn from it.

Thank you

Last edited by josh68 (2023-04-16 15:39:38)

#7512 2023-04-16 17:15:01

dogknowsnx

josh68 wrote:

[...] if the content isn't distro-specific, and could help any user of Arch x86_64.

This assumption has been made many times before without possibly knowing whether it might actually be "true" or not - so the course of action that's been taken is rather a service (to vanilla arch users) than a disservice to anybody else...

Notifications for Arch Linux package updates
RI - Rest your Eyes and Self

"We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Maynard James Keenan

#7513 2023-04-16 18:11:40

ewaller
Administrator

josh68 wrote:

...I came to this forum via web search looking to solve a problem that could easily pertain to a vanilla Arch installation, and could be helpful to other users of this forum. I signed up so I could add a question to an existing thread that seemed related to my issue, which I don't think is against any forum rules. Someone advised that my problem should be a new thread. So I made one.

After people helped me solve my problem (thanks to them), I added some context that mentioned I'm not using vanilla Arch. That thread has now been closed and is in the dustbin.

Sorry about that.  That is not quite how it should have happened, but I see how it happened.

First and foremost, we do welcome everyone to the forums.  It does not matter which OS or distribution you happen to use.  And, if you are participating in a an existing thread bringing in knowledge or observations from another distribution that are relevant to the Arch Linux question at hand, that too is welcome.   The problem occurs when a question is asked about another distribution.   That is against our policy.

Apparently you were given poor advice.  But, that was not deliberate, we often suggest members start a new thread when things start to diverge.

Sorry about that.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7514 2023-04-16 19:27:49

Fjall

Good day everyone, I am new here. This is my first post.

I dabbled in Linux 10 years ago briefly but didn’t get into it. Now for the last 2 weeks I am obsessed.

With that being said I have a few questions, I will make a new thread for that, thanks for having me ?

#7515 2023-04-17 04:39:56

josh68

ewaller wrote:

Sorry about that.  That is not quite how it should have happened, but I see how it happened.

Thank you for the kind response. I certainly understand wanting to keep the forum on topic, but this didn't really seem to me to be anything outside of the realm of issues that any Arch user could face.

And, of course, if someone mistakenly violates forum rules (and isn't being offensive, cruel, etc), it makes sense to just kindly point that poster in the right direction.

Thanks again to the members who helped me solve my issue.

#7516 2023-04-19 12:44:35

MasonArchi

Hey guys
I'm a newbie here. I come from Windows background. I decided to learn Linux for my profession. I decided to learn Linux around a months ago. I started my research to choose a distro around 3 weeks ago. I landed on Arch around several days ago. I registered here several minutes ago.
I hope I get my answers if any in coming times.

Last edited by MasonArchi (2023-04-22 10:19:38)

#7517 2023-04-20 08:53:39

amiry-jd

OK. Hello everyone! It’s been over a decade since I last used this kind of forum and it’s kind of nostalgic for me smile I’m obviously a newbie here and in arch. I just wanted to say hi.

Call me Javad wink

#7518 2023-04-24 07:53:35

zapi

Hi All!! i've been reading in the shadows for years... no need to register LOL.

#7519 2023-04-24 13:25:01

madderhatter

Hello Everyone!

I just signed up to the Arch Linux Forums. I'm really looking forward to hopefully making some friends and building the arch system to specifications I would personally enjoy. I'm currently on Endeavor OS practicing installing Arch in Virtual Box. I'm really interested in a minimal install with qtile windows manager. I'm self taught and have been practicing technology for 23 years. Started on Windows 98 and painstakingly graduated to where I am now. I have very little understanding of programming and am only just now beginning to really immerse myself in it. The more I play with technology the more I detest massive desktop environments. I'm really at a point where I want to hand pick every piece of my own system and I think arch is the happy medium between LFS and Ubuntu.

I'm also interested in the history, culture, and philosophy of computer technology. My latest research has been Richard Stallman. I'm really interested in getting involved and contributing to free (as in freedom) software. I might ultimately end up on Parabola Linux but I don't think I'm educated enough to run that system yet being divorced from all proprietary software. I still depend on a couple.

That's my introduction. Just wanted to say hello to the community. Thank you for having me. Looking forward to building Arch. I'll see you out there on the forums.

We're all mad down here Georgie...

#7520 2023-04-24 14:02:41

ewaller
Administrator

madderhatter wrote:

I'm also interested in the history, culture, and philosophy of computer technology. My latest research has been Richard Stallman.

Welcome.  May I recommend a book?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hackers:_ … Revolution

My copy is hard back, but I note that digital copies may be available in various places on the internet.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7521 2023-04-25 18:11:15

madderhatter

ewaller wrote:

Welcome.  May I recommend a book?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hackers:_ … Revolution

Thank you for the welcome! I'll definitely take a look at it.

#7522 2023-04-27 08:37:58

Texbrew

@madderhatter Welcome. In your previous post, you mentioned VirtualBox. I used it for years and was mostly happy with it.

Several months ago, I discovered Qemu/KVM, which are built into the linux kernel.
Have a look at YouTube Veronica Says video, "QEMU/KVM for absolute beginners".

#7523 2023-04-28 21:42:07

madderhatter

Texbrew wrote:

@madderhatter Welcome. In your previous post, you mentioned VirtualBox. I used it for years and was mostly happy with it.

Several months ago, I discovered Qemu/KVM, which are built into the linux kernel.
Have a look at YouTube Veronica Says video, "QEMU/KVM for absolute beginners".

Thank you for the recommendation I'll look into it for sure.

#7524 2023-04-29 01:33:31

pellcorp

Hi,

I've been running Manjaro on my work laptop and desktop (I work from home) for almost a year.   I decided I wanted to try arch itself instead and started with my laptop first.

I experimented a with a few arch installs in Gnome Boxes initially to get my head around the process, especially as I needed to use encryption (a policy of my employer that any laptop which has our source code must be encrypted), and I was none too impressed with the default grub way of prompting for the password once and then dropping me to a grub shell, so I experimented with having a separate /boot partition knowing I was exposing myself to evil maids, but decided for convenience sake I would go that way, perhaps one day I will see about configuring my boot partition to use secure boot for fixing this issue.  (I've only had the time to read the most basic info to know its possible, but no idea how at this point)

Anyway, I ended up using the archinstall, but cfdisk to setup my partitions before using archinstall, after some google searching told me that was the way to use archinstall for a non-standard installation.   After a few practice runs on gnome boxes and a few retries on my laptop, I am now happily running arch linux + gnome on my work laptop, nice to have 900 less packages than I did with Manjaro :-)

I was able to get plymouth working for prompting me for my password to decrypt my root partition, and that is working very nicely.

And so far everything seems to be working nicely, I don't need hibernation, only suspend to ram, so I did not even bother with a swap partition.

I know some frown on the archinstall, but I just don't have the time to manually type in all the commands, what would have ended up being like 6 times by the time I had a process I was happy with.   I have read through what I needed to of the arch wiki and various blogs, and even looked under the hood a little of the archinstall python code.

I found one kind of bug with the arch install, but probably considered user error, when assigning mount points, file system types to my existing partitions in disk layout in archinstall, a few times I stupidly configured the swap partition to be wiped of data (I had started out having a swap partition before realising I only needed it for hibernate to disk), and archinstall bailed out with swap-partition file type not supported, if I did not configure swap to be wiped, all was well, so just an idiot user mistake on my part :-)

I've been using linux for 20 years, so I am reasonably confident I can figure most things out even though I might have cheated on the installation a bit :-)

Thanks again for everyone's hard work on Arch, I've really appreciated the aur while using Manjaro, and I look forward to migrating my desktop over to Arch at some point, assuming sh** don't hit the fan with my laptop in the next few months

Cheers

#7525 2023-04-29 09:56:03

Lone_Wolf

(I had started out having a swap partition before realising I only needed it for hibernate to disk)

Then I hope your laptop never needs more then approx 50% of physical available memory for applications .
Once the amount of free memory decreases to far, there are two mechanisms to cope with that  : swap out something or kill something .

You may want to setup a swapfile on your / partition , see https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Swap#Swap_file .

Welcome to archlinux forums.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer