You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-19 21:42:41

Dieter

XFCE 4.4 rc2 remarks and questions

I installed xfce4.4 rc2 from unstable. I know that rc2 is not the same as "stable"...

Here are my remarks / questions:
a) Adding user to "power" group does not allow the user to shutdown / reboot. The visudo entry works. Yes, the user was logged out and in again after adding him to the power group.

b) On each reboot, sound volumes are muted and previous values not stored.

c) I suceeded mounting a USB stick by installing hal, dbus and autofs. Then an icon appears on the xfce4 desktop to mount/unmount/open the device. A corresponding entry for the USB stick in /etc/fstab is needed (not automatically created) and the directory for the mounted device must exist. Is there no easier way?

d) Is there localization for xfce4 .4rc2 available? If yes, how can it be activated?

e) How can I enable autologin for a specified user (without kdm)?

I suppose that more questions will arise within the next days.
Dieter

#2 2006-11-19 23:16:16

stonecrest

Re: XFCE 4.4 rc2 remarks and questions

Dieter wrote:

That has nothing to do with xfce. But assuming you use alsa, add alsa to your /etc/rc.conf's daemons.

Dieter wrote:

e) How can I enable autologin for a specified user (without kdm)?

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Aut … on_startup
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Start_X_at_boot

I am a gated community.

#3 2006-11-20 00:16:25

baze

Dieter wrote:

a) Adding user to "power" group does not allow the user to shutdown / reboot. The visudo entry works. Yes, the user was logged out and in again after adding him to the power group.

you must also have the hal daemon running.
add hal to the daemons array in /etc/rc.conf. and of course add the user to the group power, as you have already done.

Dieter wrote:

as said, add alsa to the daemons array in /etc/rc.conf to store and restore audio settings on shutdown and boot.

Dieter wrote:

c) I suceeded mounting a USB stick by installing hal, dbus and autofs. Then an icon appears on the xfce4 desktop to mount/unmount/open the device. A corresponding entry for the USB stick in /etc/fstab is needed (not automatically created) and the directory for the mounted device must exist. Is there no easier way?

add hal to the daemons array in /etc/rc.conf and install pmount. you don't need autofs and you don't have to change anything in the /etc/fstab or create any directories to mount media to.

Dieter wrote:

d) Is there localization for xfce4 .4rc2 available? If yes, how can it be activated?

uncomment the wanted locale in /etc/locale.gen, rebuild it using locale-gen as root and set this locale in your /etc/rc.conf

#4 2006-11-20 04:02:59

rtrotsky

another thing the panels that i create or remove are not stored or removed, so every time it boots with previous panels (default panels). how can i change that? i tried to edit ~./config/xfce4/panels/panels.xml but didnt work.

#5 2006-11-20 07:29:21

noriko
Website

you need to save the session, i don't have xfce installed so i dunno where in the settings this is, ..

but a safe guess would be in the session management .. u can save session automatically, or simply edit the menus and logout, i think it prompts u to save the session .. hope that helps

The.Revolution.Is.Coming - - To fight, To hunger, To Resist!

#6 2006-11-20 13:51:21

rtrotsky

i tried that. every time i logout i save the session, but it is not saving at all. dont know what is wrong.

#7 2006-11-21 16:29:37

Dieter

Thanks to all of you, everything is ok now!  big_smile

I checked that hal and alsa are in the daemons list of /etc/rc.conf, that solved a) and b).

For c), I installed pmount and removed aufofs and the manual entries in /etc/fstab. Access to USB stick as user is ok now.

baze's answer helped me for the localization (locale was set in /etc/rc.conf to "de_DE.utf8", but it seems that necessary files were not available). locale-gen created them.

e) The links posted by stonecrest helped to enable autologin. Mingetty is not available (any more?) in the community repos, but the other solution with the small program and changing /etc/inittab accordingly does it.

Again, thanks to all,
Dieter

#8 2006-11-21 18:23:43

japetto

i tried that. every time i logout i save the session, but it is not saving at all. dont know what is wrong.

Did you check the permissions for .config/sessions? Maybe they are not correct.

Board footer