You are not logged in.

#1 2023-05-06 19:44:28

OsakiTsukiko

[SOLVED] 2nd monitor no longer works after booting windows from usb

I have a 2nd monitor hooked up to my ASUS TUF A15 (2022) (not a good laptop for linux support in general..) and for some reason I thought of trying booting windows 10 from an external SSD (installed on another PC and put the SSD inside one of them adaptors to USB) . On windows I installed some drivers (these: https://www.asus.com/laptops/for-gaming … -A15-2022), mainly video and chipset. When I booted back into my main os, arch (the one on the internal SSD) my 2nd monitor stoped when the gdm login menu started (I use gnome with gdm), it works while its booting but shows 'NO SIGNAL' when gdm starts. I tried live booting fedora and everything works just fine, but when I tried livebooting other arch based distros, mainly EndeavorOS (xfce I think is the default) and manjaro (KDE), the display always stops when I get to the login menu.

Last edited by OsakiTsukiko (2023-05-07 00:25:45)

- Thanks, Osaki.

#2 2023-05-06 19:46:44

OsakiTsukiko

Re: [SOLVED] 2nd monitor no longer works after booting windows from usb

Also, when i live booted arch, while in the console mode the 2nd monitor was mirroring the main one (as per usual in arch console mode)

- Thanks, Osaki.

#3 2023-05-06 20:24:57

OsakiTsukiko

i did more testing and it would seem the 2nd monitor doesn't work when I enter tty (after booting into gnome) but receives data (the blue led is on) but its blank if I disable gdm and reboot. It seems this is also the case while booting. I'm not sure the display actually works tho as its blank and neofetch (in tty mode) only shows the main display, if that's an indication.

- Thanks, Osaki.

#4 2023-05-07 00:21:25

OsakiTsukiko

hmm, although I did reinstall all my packages a few times (even going as far as to reinstall all the packages and kernel (and switching kernel versions) through live-boot arch-chroot), I went through and deleted any cached files on my PC (mainly pacman) and played a bit around with efibootmgr, removing all entries (remaking it from arch-root afterward), then after I reinstalled all packages again the 2nd display started working again. Not sure at what point sth changed, but id guess it was the cached removed + package reinstall.

- Thanks, Osaki.

Board footer