You are not logged in.

#7526 2023-04-29 10:06:05

pellcorp

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Lone_Wolf wrote:

(I had started out having a swap partition before realising I only needed it for hibernate to disk)

Then I hope your laptop never needs more then approx 50% of physical available memory for applications .
Once the amount of free memory decreases to far, there are two mechanisms to cope with that  : swap out something or kill something .

You may want to setup a swapfile on your / partition , see https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Swap#Swap_file .

Welcome to archlinux forums.

Hey thanks for the welcome! 

Ya, I have 32g ram and a swap file instead much more flexible and sufficient for my uses, apparently I can even use a swap file for hibernate to disk but the steps to set it up are a bit convoluted and I don't really need it anyway.

I definitely use a swap file as I start up 6 lxd VMs running ubuntu to test my work ansible workflow.

Last edited by pellcorp (2023-04-29 22:42:22)

#7527 2023-04-29 14:44:33

vvbudh

Hullo!!! I am moving away from Manjaro to Arch. I think. I think I want to be on Arch because "Arch is the best" they say. Hell if I know. I just know I have some issues with Manjaro and I don't want to solve them all anymore. There's lots of little problems, I'd rather have a few big problems.

Anyway, I'll likely ask for help but I feel reasonably confident I can find my way through most the documentation. Wish me luck! I hope I can install Colemak on startup....Otherwise this'll be a REALLY LONG DAY!!

Have you ever taken a course on breathing? You probably need one. Now, while you go chill out, I'm gonna' go do some yoga.

#7528 2023-05-01 08:21:55

lemonade_47

Hello! Moved to Arch from Mint and I am already loving it. Faced problems with bluetooth the first day but its solved. Arch rocks!

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade

#7529 2023-05-02 18:48:54

Perro

I've never been a full time Linux user, always sporadically hopping between Debian based distros, always on Gnome, and using it only when needed on VMs. After getting a Steam Deck, I was amazed of the KDE environment I've never used, and the Arch distro I always thought of as too complicated. I thought that maybe Linux was ready for gaming!

I decided to go with the usual in a dual boot config: a Debian based distro (Pop! OS, as it's said to be beginner friendly). Games run great, but... Gnome was still having some quirks that weren't resolved (and will not be in the short term, as some have discussions spanning years!), some missing enhancements that seemed to be natural to have in an OS UI, and Pop! OS store app was really... lacking (didn't see if a package was flatpak or not, for example). Then I thought "Damn, might as well just go with Arch, how hard can it be?"

I researched about Manjaro (found out about Manjarno), and about Holoiso, and EndeavourOS... and none seemed to be as clean as using just Arch! That's when I downloaded the ISO from Arch and set my steamdeck to the arch wiki as a second screen.

The installation manual is great, although I did need a bit of help from some other blogs and posts (since I wanted the same boot experience from Pop! OS, I installed systemd-boot instead of GRUB, and that wiki page was a bit more noob unfriendly), and KDE for the same user experience as in Steam OS. An AMD GPU meant that everything worked out of the box!

And yeah, a few hours later I had a working KDE environment. I learned about modern boot systems, and that with a large amount of RAM maybe a swap partition wasn't as necessary as I thought it would be, so I didn't create one. Pacman is awesome, and AUR is even more awesome! I didn't think installing packages outside the official repos would be simplier in Arch than in Debian.

Do I need Windows in dual boot? Well, yeah, some games have Anti cheat software that isn't compatible in Linux. But for everything else, Arch is a really useful piece of software that I'm ultimately using as my main OS. I found the installation process to be even fun! Not for everyone, mind you, but at least I enjoyed reading the wiki and following the steps, learning about things I'd given up for granted in the past. And now, before installing anything, I just search for "Arch wiki <software>".

My only concern is with Discord, which no matter the Linux distro, it sucks everywhere. I wish it would get more love!

Aside from that, this thing flies. Really happy with it!

PD: Moved my post here as a reply instead of being it's own post! thanks to rmDuha for the heads up!

#7530 2023-05-02 18:52:25

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

Perro wrote:

PD: Moved my post here as a reply instead of being it's own post! thanks to rmDuha for the heads up!

Instead of cross-posting, next time please use the Report link (at the bottom of your post) to ask a moderator to move or merge your post.

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#7531 2023-05-02 18:55:40

Perro

2ManyDogs wrote:
Perro wrote:

Instead of cross-posting, next time please use the Report link (at the bottom of your post) to ask a moderator to move or merge your post.

Oops! thanks!

#7532 2023-05-03 17:20:28

LordRoyce

Hello everyone. I started my linux journey about a month ago and I knew even back then that I wanted arch as my distro. I installed arch within the first few days but failed to set it up due to my lack of knowledge. I tried fedora, elementaryOS and then spent the most time in endeavouros with i3. I love how beautifully documented everything is in the arch wiki and almost all of my queries were always already asked and answered in this forum....by this enigmatic Inspector Parrot who apparently knows everything. I have more or less set up my arch i3 and am quite comfortable with configuring most things. Even though there still are a few problems I'll have to slowly figure out like why my bluetooth earphones fail to connect sometimes and not others.

I hope to get as deep as I can and maybe one day even delve into the development side of things. Also Hyprland seems to be the immediate next thing that I want to try. Arch is the best.

#7533 2023-05-07 09:40:05

rlock9

Hi everyone, just installed Manjaro and love it so var

#7534 2023-05-07 18:18:39

zuzayka

Hi all. Laugh, cry, and suffer with the Arch.

#7535 2023-05-10 11:45:04

ofurtumi

Just installed Arch with HyprLand and it's not going so well hmm but atleast it is fun smile

#7536 2023-05-11 04:23:36

jeielcms

Hi.

#7537 2023-05-11 11:12:11

juant0

Hello everyone

#7538 2023-05-12 16:46:52

bzhmaddog

Hello everybody.

Using various Linux distros since before using linux become 'popular', Using archlinux since a year or two for one of my pet project

#7539 2023-05-12 17:07:42

lianto.ruyang

Hello Everyone

Wanna say thanks for all the information in the forums and documentations. ArchLinux rocks!!

#7540 2023-05-13 18:03:46

Seacat17

Here I am... Came here because I use Arch...

...and because basically I'm a studid idiot who broke something and needs help now.

Born to lose

#7541 2023-05-15 03:16:22

montpelier

Good day everyone,

I installed Archlinux recently with vanilla GNOME. I used to run Linux Mint and Ubuntu LTS too but switch to Arch to see if I can install it without hitches. At first, I got stuck in the loading init ramdisk until I did a few research to resolve it. Now I am using it for a week and just registered on forums today because I had a hard time with the question before.

#7542 2023-05-15 10:26:32

francesco

Hello everyone, It's an absolute pleasure to be here!

I am a high-school student who has started using Arch maybe two months a go and I am finding it absolutely stable.

I use KDE as my DE and Firefox as my web browser.

For school Arch is amazing, since it's lightning fast and LibreOffice works like a charm.

The switch from Windows 11 was almost seamless though there were a few things I had to get used to, especially when it comes to accessibility, since I am totally blind and thus have to make use of a screenreader orca.

As soon as I got used to the experience though, I realized that everything works way better than on windows.

Having TLP for battery management is a godsend, darn if it is!

What about Windows?
Well, I still do need it, especially for one program that only works on there, so I installed VMware via the AUR and everything works super well on that front as well.

Anyway, I'm done ranting for now, I just wanted to say hey and bie!

#7543 2023-05-16 18:09:49

romifla

Hi everyone, I have recently acquired a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.5 (4GB).
I am a total noob and I would like to start with trying and seting up a local network station accessible online via nextcloud.
I have been told that Arch Linux was a great OS to install a server, so here I am.

But first things first, I'm struggling for installation big_smile
So I'm going to have a bit of reading and very likely create my own topic if I continue to be unsuccessful.
Cheers!
Rom

#7544 2023-05-16 20:12:01

ewaller
Administrator

romifla wrote:

Hi everyone, I have recently acquired a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.5 (4GB).
I am a total noob and I would like to start with trying and seting up a local network station accessible online via nextcloud.
I have been told that Arch Linux was a great OS to install a server, so here I am.

But first things first, I'm struggling for installation big_smile
So I'm going to have a bit of reading and very likely create my own topic if I continue to be unsuccessful.
Cheers!
Rom

You are actually looking for https://archlinuxarm.org/
Arch Linux itself is x86_64 specific

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7545 2023-05-19 18:05:18

marifortran

Loving Linux in general, gives so much freedom and transparency compared to Windows (ofc easier to brick your system lol, but def worth learning to use it)

#7546 2023-05-22 08:29:29

karleeov

helloooo, learning how to use arch to do react development lol

learning to use arch lol

#7547 2023-05-22 11:47:57

Naishin

Hello, people. I am new here and btw, I use Arch smile

#7548 2023-05-23 15:26:29

end69

after months of using arch finally i made an account.
I USE ARCH BTW

#7549 2023-05-28 06:51:49

gxanshu
Website

Hi there everyone,

i am Anshu, i'm self tough software developer and a Linux lover. i love linux due to the freedom that's Linux gives us. i used all types of distro Ubuntu, debian but after a long journey i landed on Arch Linux. no doubt its the most satisfying Linux distro i ever use. Arch Linux gives me more freedom than any other distro out there.

#7550 2023-05-28 12:41:14

Rayspekt

Hello everyone,

I am Ray and I plan on getting into Linux on my media/gaming PC in the near future. I haven't decided on if I want to set up ArchLinux from scratch or if I will stick with one of the beginner distros. Currently I have Garuda running on a spare hdd on my system but I have gotten base Arch to work on a VM as well thanks to the great wiki you have here.

Board footer