You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-22 01:35:15

Bysshe

Upgraded CPU and motherboard

How do I make arch get back in touch with the install? Do I need to delete a couple files?  Rerun mkinitcpio?  I can chroot back into it, just need to know what to do.  Thanks.  smile

#2 2006-11-22 02:05:25

augustob

Re: Upgraded CPU and motherboard

Bysshe wrote:

How do I make arch get back in touch with the install? Do I need to delete a couple files?  Rerun mkinitcpio?  I can chroot back into it, just need to know what to do.  Thanks.  smile

As far as I know, nothing! Unless your new mobo has any additional/different peripheral hardware that you want to use, but even then there's a darn good chance that it'll be detected just fine on boot.

#3 2006-11-22 02:41:57

Bysshe

augustob wrote:
Bysshe wrote:

As far as I know, nothing! Unless your new mobo has any additional/different peripheral hardware that you want to use, but even then there's a darn good chance that it'll be detected just fine on boot.

I did try to boot into it, and it couldn't find the root.  It seems to be driver related, and I think I can fix that, hopefully.  So by what you're saying, I just need to fix the kernel panic, and get on with life.  No problemo.  smile 

eh...
hopefully  big_smile

#4 2006-11-22 09:19:05

torindan2

If you are using Arch's standatd kernel try to boot -fallback image.
It should have whole kitchen sink of drivers.
After you're in, recreate default image.

#5 2006-11-22 09:56:24

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

If fallback does not work then post your mobo & cpu may help.....

Mr Green

#6 2006-11-22 13:12:37

augustob

Check if your drives on the new controller received the same names; possibly your hda became hdb, sda became sdb or something in this vein.

#7 2006-11-22 18:50:56

Gullible Jones

The default initcpio image uses klibc-udev to autodetect stuff, and I think it's supposed to work out of the box. It doesn't always do a perfect job though.

#8 2006-11-22 23:53:52

Bysshe

I'm sorry, I meant to get back to you guys on this, but couldn't.  Arch is up, baybe.  smile

There wasn't really a problem, actually.  You think kernel panic is a problem, and it is, but in this case it was something I caused before I even switched the motherboard and CPU.
I can't remember what it was because I had not been using arch for some time.  I can say I do know I left it with a kernel panic, before, and just never bothered fixing it..and then...

...on top of that the image configuration file had specified modules for the old motherboard.  So, I just updated with pacman, and set the configuration to default, re-ran mkinitcpio and voila.  (Sorry, I nearly forgot to mention it was necessary to regenerate the xorg.conf)  So you see, had I not been monkeying around with it so much before, it would have just worked.  LOL.

But now that I have your attention, I'm wondering why the system seems noticeably less responsive than a much slower VIA motherboard that I had been using.  The new one is a K8T800 with an Opteron 144 in dual channel with 1gb of RAM and a 6600GT 128-bit 128mb AGP card.  It replaced an Nforce2.  The more responsive system is an AMD 1700+ with 512mb of RAM in single-channel with a Dell OEM MX4000 64-bit video card using 64mb of RAM.  It seems like the hesitation is DMA related, as the Hdd always reads while the application waits.  Any thoughts at all, including why rain has to be so cold, are entirely welcome.

Additionally, glxgears gives FPS about half what it should be.

Board footer