You are not logged in.

#1 2023-05-14 16:34:37

gabtram

Installed Xorg-Xmonad Axarva script [abandoned]

Hi to all,

i finally start to install the graphical envirnoment on my arch linux distro.
I installed the graphic card driver:

VGA compatible controller intel corporation skylake GT" HD graphics 520. Elitebook 840 G3 

so i made

sudo pacman -S intel-ucode
sudo pacman -S mesa

then installed
Xorg server, xwayland waland then xmonad and sway

Then i installed lightdm as session manager
on .xinitrc file i insert

exec xmonad

I reeboted.
I have a black screen with a window and a bar in the up screen, also i can choose sway or xmonad. Insert user and password in the session manager window
The monitor became blank with the prompt cursor in the up right corner but nothing happens.

I copied the standard xorg.conf file inside

/etc/X11/

but can't find Sway conf file for example.
I'm afraid i made a mess.
Sorry i undervaluted the installation process of the gui.

Have you some idea?

Thanks!

Last edited by gabtram (2023-05-17 13:41:01)

#2 2023-05-14 16:49:11

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Installed Xorg-Xmonad Axarva script [abandoned]

You know we have a wiki right?  I'd provide links to specific pages, but really, read any of them.  Almost everything you describe doing is not how it's supposed to be done.  Follow the directions.

Personally I'd advise against lightdm, or any dm for that matter.  They tend to only cause problems.  But this is a bit tangential.  Even without a DM, you'd still need to follow the documented steps to start any of those gui sessions.

Last edited by Trilby (2023-05-14 16:50:48)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2023-05-15 09:21:08

gabtram

Hi,

good morning.
Sorry you're right and i understand arch community is hard but correct smile
Now i follow the steps to install xorg server and xmonad first but surely i made some mistake with xmonad and haskell libs.

The situation now is:
if i start my arch with lightdm i can see the session manager can chosse if start xmoand or sway, but don't happen nothing with my root user or standard user. (Sorry if i'm ignorant but could i launch the window manager with root user?)
If i start then my standard user from bash and use

startx and then exec xmonad

i can see a black screen and 3 tiling window nut nothing else. There some problems with haskell libs that i report following this post. I also don't installed xmobar.

These are my installed packages:

http://ix.io/4vS4

if i made ghx-pkg check

i have line 11/usr/lib/ghx-9.0.2/bin/ghc-pkg: no such file or directory

if try to recompile xmonad cannot start open shared object

So i'd like to completely uninstall xmonad, xmoand cotnrib haskell and ghc and made a fresh reinstall.
How can io have this?

Then another question about what you said:

Personally I'd advise against lightdm, or any dm for that matter.  They tend to only cause problems.  But this is a bit tangential.

Why?
I installed arch from scratch to create a light weight envirnoment to run my favoruite music programs in linux but also to understand how linux work from scratch to enanahnce my knowledge about:
- how manage the fstab and other confgi file
- how to manage the partitions and what mean

I often used ubuntu server to manage my website but always without GUI, so i haven0t yet certain conepct about X server and so on. I read but it's not simple as it could be.
So do you suggest to always start arch from command line then use startx, with proper confgiured .xinitrc file?
Is it possible to install X server and Wayland with to window manager without a desktop environment and use my music staff software?

I'm asking you a suggestion not a rigid rule that, is clear, couldn't be exist.

Anyway the first thing that i don't how to maybe is to delete all packages and reinstall following the  wiki. but don't know how to unistall all.

Soory i don't want to waste you time, but if you can help me to understand i'll be gratefull!
thanks gab

#4 2023-05-15 10:05:54

gabtram

I unistalled fot the moment xmonad, haskell with:

sudo pacman -R xmonad xmonad-contrib
sudo pacman -R $(pacman -Qqs haskell)
sudo pacman -R ghc

#5 2023-05-15 11:45:05

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

So do you suggest to always start arch from command line then use startx, with proper confgiured .xinitrc file?

It is much simpler to control things that way, it also suits experimenting and troubleshooting well . It's also a personal choice.

Is it possible to install X server and Wayland with to window manager without a desktop environment and use my music staff software?

For X and wayland are both protocols and need to start something that handles graphics to be usable . For X that something typically is Window Manager (but could be a single application like a game) , for wayland you need a compositor . everything else is optional .

Most software doesn't really care if it's run under kde plasma, gnome, openbox , i3 , lxqt , hyprland etc but there are exceptions . Which programs are important to you ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#6 2023-05-15 12:28:18

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

gabtram wrote:

If i start then my standard user from bash and use

startx and then exec xmonad

i can see a black screen and 3 tiling window nut nothing else.

Is that "command" literally what you entered?  That's gibberish ... but everything after "startx" would pretty much be ignored.  What you describe I suspect is not 3 tiling windows, but 3 terminals, right?  If so, then that's the expected result if you still have not configured your xinitrc:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Xinit#xinitrc

I have many reasons to dislike DMs like lightdm, but for the current discussion, the most relevant is that they make troubleshooting nearly impossible.  Even if you want to use lightDM later, first just get your graphical sessions working.  Configure xinitrc if you want to use Xmonad, or if you want to use sway, just log in to a tty and type "sway", that's it.

gabtram wrote:

I'd strongly suggest that as a starting point.  Whether you add a Display Manager like lightDM (which is completely different from a Desktop Environment or DE) is up to you - as noted above, I see no point in them other than to cause problems.

gabtram wrote:

Is it possible to install X server and Wayland with to a window manager without a desktop environment and use my music staff software?

Yes.  And you don't need X and wayland.  You can install both, but either one would be sufficient.  You'll only use one or the other (at any given time).  If you wanted to use Xmonad, you'd need Xorg (not wayland); if you want to use sway, you'll need wayland (not Xorg).

Last edited by Trilby (2023-05-19 13:30:01)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2023-05-15 14:43:48

gabtram

Hi lonewolf!

It is much simpler to control things that way, it also suits experimenting and troubleshooting well . It's also a personal choice.

oh perfect i need your impression and suggestion. It's improtant to me to understand how could be the best way to achieve the best experience!
Thanks!

Most software doesn't really care if it's run under kde plasma, gnome, openbox , i3 , lxqt , hyprland etc but there are exceptions . Which programs are important to you ?

Mmhmh don't know i read something. Audacity, ardour, Carla, jack2 or pipewire, wireplumber, hydrogen and guitrix and many calf plugins can start only in GTK o QT and i think are incomaptible with wayland, or i misunderstanding?

Do you know something?
For example i can create a sessions with all of this software and startx a basic envirnment specific for music without loading other not important graphics?

Thanks!
Gab

#8 2023-05-15 14:53:26

gabtram

Is that "command" literally what you entered?  That's gibberish ... but everything after "startx" would pretty much be ignored.  What you describe I suspect is not 3 tiling windows, but 3 terminals, right?  If so, then that's the expected result if you still have not configured your xinitrc:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Xinit#xinitrc

Ok, sorry you' re right. Exactly i startx and find 3 tile windows (this is the cause i said 3 window) with terminals. When i typed exec xmonad the gui improvisily became wide but yes sure i not configured well xinitrc. I read the wiki but i think i have to re-read! smile thanks.

I have many reasons to dislike DMs like lightdm, but for the current discussion, the most relevant is that they make troubleshooting nearly impossible.  Even if you want to use lightDM later, first just get your graphical sessions working.  Configure xinitrc if you want to use Xmonad, or if you want to use sway, just log in to a tty and type "sway", that's it.

Thanks! Your opinion is very important to me! Thanks!

Yes.  And you don't need X and wayland.  You can install both, but either one would be sufficient.  You'll only use one or the other (at any given time).  If you wanted to use Xmonad, you'd need Xorg (not wayland); if you want to use sway, you'll need wayland (not Xorg).

Ok i understand but i explain my point of view.
My target is to install and configure a very good environment for music production. During the process to find and choose my envirnment i starting to read about Wayland and the new concept behind it. And so i as courius and then i choose to install both and test them.

Anyway thanks really for your help. Now i unistalled all and try to reinstall starting from the base.
i will report you my problems... smile

#9 2023-05-15 15:35:39

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

gabtram wrote:

... can start only in GTK o QT and i think are incomaptible with wayland, or i misunderstanding?

Gtk and Qt are widget toolkits and are not directly linked to any DE.  A couple of the major DEs are built around tools using just one of those toolkits, but the toolkits themselves will run just fine on any DE or on no DE at all.

Both Gtk and Qt based software will also run just fine under wayland.  This was not always the case, so if you are reading some very old reviews you may get outdated information.

#10 2023-05-16 13:35:43

gabtram

Hi,

finally i have a working environment for mu music user with Xmonad!
I followed the standard configuration and then i found this configuration: https://github.com/Axarva?tab=overview& … 2023-04-30.
I see something in the .sh installation file and it was for me.

So Xserver works and also Xmonad. I understand the problem and the concept beetween X server and .xinitrc
Thanks!
Now i have to study how to configure Xmonad for my needs.
For example i can't find how to change the locker limit to not have the standby after 2 minutes! Don't know if is an X conf or Xmonad or Rofi? I start to check here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Power_management

I started tyo install finally music productnio applications but it will be the subject for another topic!
Thanks to all of your suggestions.

Ps: when i will have time i will creater another user using sway instead.

Last edited by gabtram (2023-05-16 13:45:46)

#11 2023-05-16 14:02:59

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

There's no need for a seperate user to run sway.

EDIT: if you ran that script from that github repo, there's really no one here can help you.  You'll need to direct questions to the author of that script as it did a whole lot of things many of which are ill-advised, and all of them are quite ill-advised if you don't understand them - which you don't.  Now the only one who really knows how your system works is the author of that script.

Last edited by Trilby (2023-05-16 14:06:47)

#12 2023-05-16 14:36:32

gabtram

Trilby wrote:

There's no need for a seperate user to run sway.

EDIT: if you ran that script from that github repo, there's really no one here can help you.  You'll need to direct questions to the author of that script as it did a whole lot of things many of which are ill-advised, and all of them are quite ill-advised if you don't understand them - which you don't.  Now the only one who really knows how your system works is the author of that script.

Yes i understand infact i'm writing here: https://github.com/Axarva/dotfiles-2.0#trouble

Trilby wrote:

are quite ill-advised if you don't understand them - which you don't.

Are you always so cute with others? Can't understand this behaviour really, and you are not the first. Ok i'm not a smart guy in the arch world, I do not need your judgement. If you want to give me some advices I will gladly accept them and thank you, otherwise whether or not I am able to understand what those scripts do is not an object of this topic, so please avoid such comments again.
Thank you and have a nice day, I'll close the topic.

#13 2023-05-17 10:28:31

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Please don't use Closed , it is reserved for moderators when they block new posts to a thread.

If you don't like to use [Solved} , there are alternatives like [abandoned] [workedaround] and others.

As for advise :
If you get issues the author of that script can't solve, re-install from scratch and never use it again.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#14 2023-05-17 13:07:09

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I hadn't judged you before.  You are doing things that will be harmful, and I am (was) trying to stop you.  But now I have judged you - as not worth bothering with trying to help.  Feel free to do yourself harm.  Just don't expect to continue getting help here if you stay on your current trajectory.

#15 2023-05-17 13:44:04

gabtram

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Please don't use Closed , it is reserved for moderators when they block new posts to a thread.

If you don't like to use [Solved} , there are alternatives like [abandoned] [workedaround] and others.

Yes thanks i changed to [abandoned]

Lone_Wolf wrote:

As for advise :
If you get issues the author of that script can't solve, re-install from scratch and never use it again.

I'm in contact with him. Sure if i understand that is not usefull for my purpose, music production, and can't manage it for what i need, i will reainstall all from scratch.
Thanks!

#16 2023-05-17 13:52:47

gabtram

Trilby wrote:

I hadn't judged you before.  You are doing things that will be harmful, and I am (was) trying to stop you.  But now I have judged you - as not worth bothering with trying to help.  Feel free to do yourself harm.  Just don't expect to continue getting help here if you stay on your current trajectory.

Thank you again for your suggestions. Some I followed, some I didn't because I felt I should use axarva's mod of xmonad so as not to make it from scratch. Will it cause me problems? Alright at the very least I will have wasted more time and reinstall everything from scratch in the meantime I will have learnt. But please relax and have a beer nothing has happened. If in my future posts you don't want to help me out, that's fine, if the moderators decide to ban me as well, although I don't think I've done anything wrong.

I don't think there is any need for controversy. To help others you just need to be nicer, you don't need to reply, I just pointed out that your attitude in my opinion is not in keeping with the topic.

Bye

Board footer